Happy 10th anniversary Snakes & Arrows! :D

Entre_Perpetuo

Happy!  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Happy!

Bottom of the barrel Rush album for me. Spindrift and Hope are all I listen to.

Bottom of the barrel for me too. I very rarely listen to it.

I enjoy Monkey Biz, Wind Blows, Hope, and Malnar.

Another third I think is just "ok" or barely that.

The last third I dislike.

Dig it. Not sure where I would rank it in the album list, but lots of good/great songs here. Far Cry, Armor & Sword, Workin' Them Angels, The Way The Wind Blows, Faithless, We Hold On.... Edited by Mystic Slipperman

I snicker at how, no matter your opinion of this album, 99.9% of TRF all seem to despise Spindrift :D It's just one of those songs that rubbed everyone the wrong way. I think it starts off OK but not-so-quickly goes nowhere. The main guitar riff is good though. Too bad it wasn't used on a better song.

I guess I along with catherine are part of the 0.01%, then! Actually, I think your math is faulty. Spindrift isn't anywhere near my favourite on Snakes and Arrows, but I still consider it a good song that would be in the top 5 had it been on either Vapor Trails or Clockwork Angels. I agree that it should not have been released as a single though. There are much better candidates for singles and I think everyone realized that almost immediately and is part of the reason The Larger Bowl was released so quickly.

I love it, but it's WAY too quirky to have been released as a single to radio in the context of radio in 2007. Kind of like Double Agent in that way.

• Like 1

I snicker at how, no matter your opinion of this album, 99.9% of TRF all seem to despise Spindrift :D It's just one of those songs that rubbed everyone the wrong way. I think it starts off OK but not-so-quickly goes nowhere. The main guitar riff is good though. Too bad it wasn't used on a better song.

I guess I along with catherine are part of the 0.01%, then! Actually, I think your math is faulty. Spindrift isn't anywhere near my favourite on Snakes and Arrows, but I still consider it a good song that would be in the top 5 had it been on either Vapor Trails or Clockwork Angels. I agree that it should not have been released as a single though. There are much better candidates for singles and I think everyone realized that almost immediately and is part of the reason The Larger Bowl was released so quickly.

I love it, but it's WAY too quirky to have been released as a single to radio in the context of radio in 2007. Kind of like Double Agent in that way.

I agree completely with you about both. Neither should have been singles. They are odd choices that I think did nothing to help their respective albums in terms of sales.

I'm curious as to the reason why so many hate Spindrift. I think the "closer to you" part is one of the best things they've ever done.

I've read several people over the years here point out Geddy's vocal being really irritating and the song sort of starting off pretty well but going nowhere.

• Like 1

another thing about Snakes I don't like is that more than a few songs start off with almost the same exact acoustic guitar riff. It makes it sound lazy and uninspired to maybe come up with some fresher ideas for a song structure. I can't think of any other Rush albums, even the ones I don't care much for, where the intro to one song was almost exactly like the song that followed it. And the one after that. Edited by jnoble

I'm curious as to the reason why so many hate Spindrift. I think the "closer to you" part is one of the best things they've ever done.

I do not hate, or even dislike, Spindrift, but I don't really care for it either. Even when I listened to this album a ton after it first came out, that was the one I always had no problem skipping. It's just a bit too bland. That main guitar lead is pretty cool, but this is one song where the vocal melodies are just lacking.

• Like 2

• Like 2

Snakes & Arrows is a very good album, but not a great album...

First 6 songs are great!!!

The Way The Wind Blows could have been so much better...

Hope & Malignant Narcissism are great!!!

The rest of the songs reminds me of some of the songs on Counterparts, they seem to lack something...

• Like 1

Still the album that got me into Rush

Me too. Although I've been casually acquainted with Rush since the 70s, I was never a fan until I went to a Snakes and Arrows gig in 2007 just for something to do, and it was all the new material that got me. I had thought it would be mostly a nostalgia act. Instead, it was a living, vital band playing new material with passion and joy. It's hard to explain how exciting and inspiring that was to me, and why their enthusiasm for it mattered to me so much. The very next day I went to the record store to get the new album, joined this forum, and delved into the wonders of Rush. 10 years and 23 gigs later, the wonder is still wondrous :yes:

I like both Clockwork Angels and the Vapour Trails remix better than Snakes and Arrows these days, but Snakes and Arrows will always hold a very special place in my heart. It was the door.

• Like 4

Still the album that got me into Rush

Me too. Although I've been casually acquainted with Rush since the 70s, I was never a fan until I went to a Snakes and Arrows gig in 2007 just for something to do, and it was all the new material that got me. I had thought it would be mostly a nostalgia act. Instead, it was a living, vital band playing new material with passion and joy. It's hard to explain how exciting and inspiring that was to me, and why their enthusiasm for it mattered to me so much. The very next day I went to the record store to get the new album, joined this forum, and delved into the wonders of Rush. 10 years and 23 gigs later, the wonder is still wondrous :yes:

I like both Clockwork Angels and the Vapour Trails remix better than Snakes and Arrows these days, but Snakes and Arrows will always hold a very special place in my heart. It was the door.

:cheers:

As I've said before, the only reason I found this great community is because my moms friend forced Snakes & Arrows on my ipod in 2008 at age 15, saying I should really listen to it.

Thanks, Teresa

• Like 1

This is one of Rush best album! And it is MUCH better then Clockwork Angels. Its a masterpiece album, and those who say its a bad album, have no idea what they talking about and they are not true Rush fans!

This was the first Rush album that I started listening to after I came home from my first Rush concert in 2011, and for months this was the only Rush album I was listening to. I loved it, and I still do! Great album!

Man, I hope your tongue is firmly in cheek! An opinion is an opinion but the whole 'other people don't know what they are talking about...etc' is crazy. Thus, I give you the benefit of the doubt that you are being sarcastic! Cheers

I agree that it is one of RUSH's best albums and the thing that sounds crazy to me is ranking it below the loud monosyllabic mess that is Vapor Trails or the poorly written concept album that is Clockwork Angels. Snakes & Arrows is so far above anything else RUSH released in this millennium and it is strange to me that others here don't get it. I take solace in the fact that most of the fans who think Clockwork Angels is the shit are also the same ones who love Hemispheres, Caress Of Steel and think that RUSH was at their best in the 70s. So I just chalk it up to the fact that really, they like a different band than I do and are listening to the band for very different reasons.

I agree that it is one of RUSH's best albums and the thing that sounds crazy to me is ranking it below the loud monosyllabic mess that is Vapor Trails or the poorly written concept album that is Clockwork Angels. Snakes & Arrows is so far above anything else RUSH released in this millennium and it is strange to me that others here don't get it. I take solace in the fact that most of the fans who think Clockwork Angels is the shit are also the same ones who love Hemispheres, Caress Of Steel and think that RUSH was at their best in the 70s. So I just chalk it up to the fact that really, they like a different band than I do and are listening to the band for very different reasons.

I love that there are so many different ways to like Rush.

• Like 2

I thought it sucked when I heard it at the time. 3 years later, I tried Roll the Bones ( :eh:) and I liked that, got into Rush, followed it up with Snakes & Arrows, then I liked it. Took me a while to like the last few songs on the album, but I do now.