If Geddy and Neil want to carry on....

ragz06

Lyrics are NEVER as important as the music...

I kind of agree. But many people, particularly Rush fans, that would say otherwise.

Lyrics are a the very least as important as the music in most cases.

• Like 1

Choices of Drummers if Geddy and Alex wish to continue ....

THIS IS NOT RUSH.....

That being said, to offer a vald reply to Rag's post would be Jeremy Taggert(our lady peace CDN ) who worked on Geddy's MFH instead of Matt Cameron who is way to busy right now would be fitting.

I know Jeremy personaly- younger stronger and faster to keep up with Ged and Alex .You would get a combo Victor MFH with Jer who also has an arsenal of NP inspired licks up his sleeve...

In my Imaginary world.. 1st choice ..Stewart Copeland . imagine the RUSHY-POILICE 3/4 timing that Ged , Alex and Stew could create .... wow ....

I assume everyone in favor of this thinks that the debut is one of the band's best albums? Or thinks that the lyrics to the songs aren't as important as the music? Or that Geddy sounds as good as he did 15 years ago?

They're not young men. They're hanging it up. There are lots of albums and boots you can still listen to.

Embarrassment of riches...........

• Like 1

I just listened to MalNar, followed by Leave That Thing Alone and Main Monkey Business. Color me down for a full album of RUSH instrumentals, with another drummer, if needed.

People sound desperate, but there is always Neil bashing! If Neil Peart is indeed retired then Rush is no more.

If Geddy and Alex do decide to continue collaborating in the future some here will have the opportunity to bash them about Geddy's voice being shot and Alex's fingers being too fat.

• Like 1

I just watched Time Stand Still with a friend who hadn't seen it. He commented that Neil has some real psychological issues with perfection, with the "can't come to the front of the stage" issue, and even his motorcycle. My friend is a rider too and he thought riding for 9 hours and then doing a concert insane. Your body (especially a 63 year old) just can't do that. Was Neil pushing himself to fail? Not admitting your frailties is another psychological issue. I used to respect Neil a lot more.
  • Like 2

I just watched Time Stand Still with a friend who hadn't seen it. He commented that Neil has some real psychological issues with perfection, with the "can't come to the front of the stage" issue, and even his motorcycle. My friend is a rider too and he thought riding for 9 hours and then doing a concert insane. Your body (especially a 63 year old) just can't do that. Was Neil pushing himself to fail? Not admitting your frailties is another psychological issue. I used to respect Neil a lot more.

When does a musician get to decide if he or she can retire or has had enough? Jeez.

Answering ReRushed first. When his body, Neil's that is, has had enough and he recognizes it. I respect Neil NO LESS for his realizing with his absolute NEED for perfection. Anything less than that WOULD make me disrespect him....the man knows his limits. I couldn't play like I used to at this stage of life either...I turned 59 on Monday.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/Canadian%20banana_1.png

Edited by OldRUSHfan

When does a musician get to decide if he or she can retire or has had enough? Jeez.

I will only speak for myself here, but the issue is not Neil's decision to retire .. Not at all

I don't think having the opinion that Geddy and Alex could continue as Rush with another drummer is anti-Neil - that is simply being a Rush fan .. I love the debut album, and if nothing else, it demonstrates to me that Geddy and Alex can make an enjoyable album without Neil ..

The thing to keep in mind is that Neil has done things outside of the band - his books, his blogs and his appearances and interviews ( Politically Incorrect, for example ) ..

The fact that he was the drummer in Rush does not give him immunity to criticism or leave him above disagreement ..

Neil has admittedly changed his philosophy since the days of 2112 ... Some fans have not .. Is every fan supposed to simply go along with Neil as he changes his personal opinions on society, politics and life ??

• Like 1

I understand his desire to quit and have changed my mind about whether Rush is dead. They are. It's not just Neil. It's painful to listen to Geddy try to hit the high notes, but he still tried. I guess I'm a bit annoyed at Neil continuing when he really didn't want to. If this was in his mind for years (which he said it was), continuing while avoiding contact with everyone but his security team is just not fair to anybody. It not fair for Alex and Geddy to continue with someone who is mentally saying "I hate this" every day. It's unfair to the fans who worship him. No he's not the same person as he was 10 years ago or 30 years ago. Pretending everything is the same when it's not is lying to yourself and your friends.

And if CA was Neil's idea of perfection, God save us all

Didn't he say it was the album they always wanted to make? I would say it's mainly him with the ego boost.

• Like 1

I understand his desire to quit and have changed my mind about whether Rush is dead. They are. It's not just Neil. It's painful to listen to Geddy try to hit the high notes, but he still tried. I guess I'm a bit annoyed at Neil continuing when he really didn't want to. If this was in his mind for years (which he said it was), continuing while avoiding contact with everyone but his security team is just not fair to anybody. It not fair for Alex and Geddy to continue with someone who is mentally saying "I hate this" every day. It's unfair to the fans who worship him. No he's not the same person as he was 10 years ago or 30 years ago. Pretending everything is the same when it's not is lying to yourself and your friends.

Neil has gone on record many times saying that he hasn't particularly liked touring since the mid 80's, or sometime around there,

I have no problem with Neil retiring if he wants. God knows, he's earned that decision. I do have a problem with how he retired and how he told his band mates. Oh wait, he didn't tell them. He bailed and they later read about it in an interview. I don't care how many social issues you have, that's pretty weak and disrespectful

• Like 3

Neil has gone on record many times saying that he hasn't particularly liked touring since the mid 80's, or sometime around there,

I have no problem with Neil retiring if he wants. God knows, he's earned that decision. I do have a problem with how he retired and how he told his band mates. Oh wait, he didn't tell them. He bailed and they later read about it in an interview. I don't care how many social issues you have, that's pretty weak and disrespectful

A cowardly way to go, while he was deliberately beating himself up on the road and saying afterward poor me! I guess it's most telling that Alex and Geddy did their interviews for Time Stand Still in the same venue and sometimes together, while Neil was sitting in front of his sports cars.

• Like 4

A cowardly way to go, while he was deliberately beating himself up on the road and saying afterward poor me! I guess it's most telling that Alex and Geddy did their interviews for Time Stand Still in the same venue and sometimes together, while Neil was sitting in front of his sports cars.

I am sorry, but I do not know what interview Neil stated this in. I can't imagine that Alex and Geddy learned about his decision in an interview he gave and that he did not tell them face-to-face before hand at an official and private (Alex, Geddy and Neil only) band meeting.

Neil was doing less and less interviews with Alex and Geddy for the last several years. We all know that Neil has always refused to do Meet & Greets; whereas Alex and Geddy always have done them. Alex and Geddy were fine with that and those of us who know how Neil is about meeting fans (which he has stated many times in his interviews and books) should be fine with that too.

I am sorry, but I do not know what interview Neil stated this in. I can't imagine that Alex and Geddy learned about his decision in an interview he gave and that he did not tell them face-to-face before hand at an official and private (Alex, Geddy and Neil only) band meeting.

Neil was doing less and less interviews with Alex and Geddy for the last several years. We all know that Neil has always refused to do Meet & Greets; whereas Alex and Geddy always have done them. Alex and Geddy were fine with that and those of us who know how Neil is about meeting fans (which he has stated many times in his interviews and books) should be fine with that too.

I was quoting not literally the interviews for Time Stand Still. If they couldn't manage to do that interview together, then I feel like I was reading between the lines. If he was suffering as bad as he was on the R40 tour because of the ridiculous strain he was putting on his body and refusing to take a rest from riding and then laughs it off after the fact, my sympathy is strained. I don't know how he told Alex and Geddy. Yes, I know he hated interviews but he could always be charming when he wanted to. He was charming in the TSS video, but saying you were walking around on bloody stumps (chuckle) and Alex and Geddy being appalled at how he treated his body makes you wonder.

• Like 1