Peter Gabriel solo vs non-Peter Gabriel Genesis

YYZumbi

27 members have voted

1. 1. What do you prefer the most?

• Peter Gabriel solo
    • non-Peter Gabriel Genesis

Since The Lamb and Duke are my 2 favorite Genesis records, I clearly have my foot in both camps.

And solo Gabriel.. man, even through to UP he was pushing the envelope.

Man Security Creeped me the hell out the first time i heard it, lol

Mick

LOL! you're not the only one. I remember hearing it a couple years after it came out, and going WHAT IS THIS?!

Security has (to me anyway) one of Gabriel's greatest achievements: San Jacinto. Friggin amazing song, and the Plays Live version is perfect.

Security was the first gabriel Album i heard. i went in not expecting much. cause i really wasn't a fan of his genesis stuff.

played it......i was like.........what's happening, lol

should i call the police, lol

it was almost like he was trying to make an uncomfortable record. now i think it's genius

Mick

In a way, I think he was. Same with PG2 and PG3. They are NOT easy listens.

• Like 1

Since The Lamb and Duke are my 2 favorite Genesis records, I clearly have my foot in both camps.

And solo Gabriel.. man, even through to UP he was pushing the envelope.

Man Security Creeped me the hell out the first time i heard it, lol

Mick

LOL! you're not the only one. I remember hearing it a couple years after it came out, and going WHAT IS THIS?!

Security has (to me anyway) one of Gabriel's greatest achievements: San Jacinto. Friggin amazing song, and the Plays Live version is perfect.

Security was the first gabriel Album i heard. i went in not expecting much. cause i really wasn't a fan of his genesis stuff.

played it......i was like.........what's happening, lol

should i call the police, lol

it was almost like he was trying to make an uncomfortable record. now i think it's genius

Mick

In a way, I think he was. Same with PG2 and PG3. They are NOT easy listens.

then he pulled way back on So. i've gone dark enough, lol. so was definitely lighter.

I like Us quite a bit no one ever talks about that one.

Mick

• Like 1

US is a very important album to me, for a lot of reasons. It came out when I was going through a weird breakup.

And the Secret World live show is still the best show I've ever seen.

i have that DVD.

that Version of Washing of the Water is Heart Breaking.

Mick

• Like 1

US is a very important album to me, for a lot of reasons. It came out when I was going through a weird breakup.

And the Secret World live show is still the best show I've ever seen.

i have that DVD.

that Version of Washing of the Water is Heart Breaking.

Mick

Indeed. And the one that really hit me hard after the show was Blood of Eden.

Hard to explain... the images of Peter and Joy (I'm pretty sure he didn't have Paula Cole yet - this was Summer 1993) walking around the tree, gesturing and singing to each other... and not touching hands at the end...... man, I heard that song the day after the show and I nearly had to pull over.

• Like 1

Love them both.

Never been much of a fan of Gabriel Genesis though. Zero resonance on that front.

Pretty much me. i do like a little bit of it though. Supper's Ready is my fav prog tune.

Mick

• Like 2

Love them both.

Never been much of a fan of Gabriel Genesis though. Zero resonance on that front.

Pretty much me. i do like a little bit of it though. Supper's Ready is my fav prog tune.

Mick

It's OK. Watcher Of The Skies, I Know What I Like, Dancing..... It does more for me live and when Collins is singing it but I'm always reaching for the post Gabriel stuff.

Peter's first four solo albums are his best material, bar-none. While Genesis beat him in quantity, Peter's output was more about quality work. In the same time frame, Genesis put out two stellar albums (Wind & Wuthering and Duke) while Gabriel put out four. Not knocking any of the other Genesis albums that came out at the same time as Peter's first four solo records, but the quality is much better. Peter has always been known to take his time with writing and recording, but his music has suffered ever since US.

This was difficult for me. I initially thought I'd vote for Peter Gabriel--a no-brainer. But I like A Trick of the Tail, Wind & Wuthering, and portions of And The There Were Three and Duke more than most anything in Gabriel's discography, with a few important exceptions. But after Duke it's Peter Gabriel all the way.