The Official R.E.M. Thread

I enjoy Monster.
  • Like 4

I gotta break out Monster and Hi Fi again. Haven't given them the attention they (probably) deserve.

I enjoy Monster.

http://youtu.be/OoZYpydWUJ8

Yeah I do enjoy Monster. Been playing it more since these posts. Hi-Fi I like but it's not close to their best for me.

Me my thoughts are flowers strewn

ocean storm, bayberry moon

I have got to leave to find my way

Watch the road and memorize

This live will pass before my eyes

Nothing is going my way....

Edited by Mystic Slipperman
  • Like 2

I think my new favourite REM song is Near Wild Heaven
  • Like 3

So I replayed Out Of Time today. That might actually be the first REM album is define as "patchy".

It has awkward flow as well.

I delete the songs Low and Belong so that Losing My Religion, Near Wild Heaven and Shiny Happy People play together. It becomes a real joy when I do that.

I also thing Radio Song 89 has aged terribly.

• Like 1

So I replayed Out Of Time today. That might actually be the first REM album is define as "patchy".

I delete the songs Low and Belong so that Losing My Religion, Near Wild Heaven and Shiny Happy People play together. It becomes a real joy when I do that.

Of the songs you skip and/or dislike...oh, I love Low. It's a different feel from the whole rest of the album. But I adore it!

Shiny Happy People is the only one that seems incongruous to me. But that may just be because I can't tolerate Kate Pearson in the least. Without her, that song might be markedly better, to my ears.

Overall, though, I love that album.

Edited by Blue J

I love "Low" and "Belong". I agree about "Radio Song", though I don't think it's necessary bad.

• Like 2

Of the songs you skip and/or dislike...oh, I love Low. It's a different feel from the whole rest of the album. But I adore it!

Shiny Happy People is the only one that seems incongruous to me. But that may just be because I can't tolerate Kate Pearson in the least. Without her, that song might be markedly better, to my ears.

I love Low but it disrupts the flow

I love her voice and she is hot in the video

I love "Low" and "Belong". I agree about "Radio Song", though I don't think it's necessary bad.

I think the mistake I made was implying I dislike those songs. I don't they just...dont feel like they are in the right place.

Radio Song 89 I am sure sounded inventive and fun back then. It's not bad now...it is annoying though

I think the mistake I made was implying I dislike those songs. I don't they just...dont feel like they are in the right place.

Radio Song 89 I am sure sounded inventive and fun back then. It's not bad now...it is annoying though

I totally understand. It's the R.E.M. album that sounds more like a collection of random songs than a cohesive listening experience.

• Like 1

I totally understand. It's the R.E.M. album that sounds more like a collection of random songs than a cohesive listening experience.

Exactly. I have yet to hear the last five but so far it's the only one to feel like that.

The killer songs are amongst my all time favourites from any band and they always have been.

Near Wild Heaven the most. Losing My Religion has never lost it's magic for me either.

Shes the only thing that makes that song worth listening to.

Spun Up all weekend long. It's reevaluated. It's good.

"Sad Professor"

"Why Not Smile"

"Day Sleeper"

"Parakeet"

I also like the Suicide vibe on some tunes. Suicide plus Beach Boys. Who da thunk?

Topnotch R.E.M.

• Like 1

Out Of Time...

it's strangely sequenced, for sure.

Radio Song sounds dated to me now, but I liked it when it was new.

I find that with this album I just play the back half.

Belong/Half a World Away/Texarkana/Country Feedback/Me In Honey -- wow

• Like 2

I'm not a big fan, still I really like Automatic For The People & Reckoning. I don't like Document though...

I liked Document initially, but I never find myself going back to it. Finest Worksong is great though...

How is Fables... & Lifes Rich?

• Like 1

I'm not a big fan, still I really like Automatic For The People & Reckoning. I don't like Document though...

I liked Document initially, but I never find myself going back to it. Finest Worksong is great though...

How is Fables... & Lifes Rich?

Document is a wonderful album. It starts off very, very strong and tapers off.

Fables is dark, muddy and gloomy. It has some of R.E.M.'s most basic songs and some weird stuff thrown in.

Lifes is among R.E.M.'s best albums. It rocks.

• Like 2