Presto or RTB?

chain__lightning

Both have some blah songs (Neurotica, You Bet Your Life, War Paint, Superconductor), but Roll the Bones has more great songs (4-5 to 2) and is a better sounding record.

I love both War Paint and Superconductor. Superconductor is a rockin 7/8 tune, while War Paint's lyrics are really meaningful

Both songs have things I like about them, but are just blah overall to me. Good lyrics cannot save either.

I guess that's true, but The Pass? That one destroys me inside with the lyrics. They go along well with the tune.

The Pass would be one of the two great songs I referred to on Presto; Available Light is the other. I also like Chain Lightning quite a bit. The rest all ranges from solid to blah.

• Like 2

Both have some blah songs (Neurotica, You Bet Your Life, War Paint, Superconductor), but Roll the Bones has more great songs (4-5 to 2) and is a better sounding record.

I love both War Paint and Superconductor. Superconductor is a rockin 7/8 tune, while War Paint's lyrics are really meaningful

Both songs have things I like about them, but are just blah overall to me. Good lyrics cannot save either.

I guess that's true, but The Pass? That one destroys me inside with the lyrics. They go along well with the tune.

The Pass would be one of the two great songs I referred to on Presto; Available Light is the other. I also like Chain Lightning quite a bit. The rest all ranges from solid to blah.

I can understand that. And yeah I really wish Rush would revive Chain Lightning and Available Light and play them live.

• Like 1

I want this to be a poll so poor little Presto can finally win something!

Yes! It's my favorite Rush album and I seriously don't get why people dislike it so much. The first 4 tracks are amazing. Like wow. Scars was too artificial (having no actual bass when they played it live, only synth and loops). Presto was a great song. Superconductor is :) . Anagram is a good tune although the lyrics mean nothing (though they rhyme well). Red Tide is good, I'd wanna see how they would play it live. I love Hand Over Fist, I don't get why they left it at the bottom of the vault. Same with Available Light!!!! That song is the scheisse! I'd give that album a solid 10.

Chain Lightning is my favourite Rush song.

Also...Presto is top ten overall. Currently I am loving RTB but...lets see if it lasts.

• Like 1

And yeah I really wish Rush would revive Chain Lightning and Available Light and play them live.

Leaving aside the fact that Rush is all but done, the ship on Available Light sailed a long time ago. Geddy would have had a tough time singing that 15 years ago, and I shudder to think of how he would butcher it now. Chain Lightning was probably never on the table because of the guitar solo.

• Like 1

I want this to be a poll so poor little Presto can finally win something!

Yes! It's my favorite Rush album and I seriously don't get why people dislike it so much. The first 4 tracks are amazing. Like wow. Scars was too artificial (having no actual bass when they played it live, only synth and loops). Presto was a great song. Superconductor is :) . Anagram is a good tune although the lyrics mean nothing (though they rhyme well). Red Tide is good, I'd wanna see how they would play it live. I love Hand Over Fist, I don't get why they left it at the bottom of the vault. Same with Available Light!!!! That song is the scheisse! I'd give that album a solid 10.

Chain Lightning is my favourite Rush song.

Also...Presto is top ten overall. Currently I am loving RTB but...lets see if it lasts.

I usually don't say it but it is in my top 2, the other being The Pass. Can't choose between em! Such a great song!

• Like 1

And yeah I really wish Rush would revive Chain Lightning and Available Light and play them live.

Leaving aside the fact that Rush is all but done, the ship on Available Light sailed a long time ago. Geddy would have had a tough time singing that 15 years ago, and I shudder to think of how he would butcher it now. Chain Lightning was probably never on the table because of the guitar solo.

Well, he took a stab at singing Lakeside Park on the R40 Tour, turned out decent, he was struggling to sing it though.

Well, he took a stab at singing Lakeside Park on the R40 Tour, turned out decent, he was struggling to sing it though.

And on top of that the first note that Ged sings in Lakeside Park is the first note of "In the Available Light". He could attempt it and do it somewhat well.

Really a toss up between the two as i love both.Presto has better songs and some clunkers(Scars,Anagram),RTB sounds better.RTB just,only just.

Presto. It has more good songs and nothing quite as bad as Heresy.

I don't know I think Superconductor and Scars are worse than that.

Scars in particular is bad but not as awful as Heresy for me.

Scars makes me think that they were smoking something really bad that week in the studio. :smoke:

I'd take Scars over Cinderella Man or Madrigal all day and twice on Sunday. A fun groove with great lyrics.

Scars makes me think that they were smoking something really bad that week in the studio. :smoke:

I'd take Scars over Cinderella Man or Madrigal all day and twice on Sunday. A fun groove with great lyrics.

That's why I'll never come to you for advice on music.

Edited by treeduck

:boohoo:

And on top of that the first note that Ged sings in Lakeside Park is the first note of "In the Available Light". He could attempt it and do it somewhat well.

Well, for one, Rush is, for all intents and purposes, done.

Two, Lakeside Park was played cause it was an early favorite and they probably wanted to represent something from an album that had barely gotten any recognition in decades (the instrumental part of Bastille Day in the R30 Overture being it). I think if there was any other song from Presto they wanted to resurrect, they would have done it on one of the last few tours (like they did with the title track).

Crybaby!

Well, for one, Rush is, for all intents and purposes, done.

Two, Lakeside Park was played cause it was an early favorite and they probably wanted to represent something from an album that had barely gotten any recognition in decades (the instrumental part of Bastille Day in the R30 Overture being it). I think if there was any other song from Presto they wanted to resurrect, they would have done it on one of the last few tours (like they did with the title track).

Sad to see that they are done, that will haunt me forever.

Crybaby!

:cheers:

I totally agree regarding the top two tracks. I think Show Don't Tell is a great song as well. But yeah, beyond that, Presto has a lot of "pleasantly decent" tunes, making it a nice album but not one of Rush's best.

• Like 2

Sad to see that they are done, that will haunt me forever.

Eh, all good things must come to an end, and they gave us 40 years. I'm good with it.

I totally agree regarding the top two tracks. I think Show Don't Tell is a great song as well. But yeah, beyond that, Presto has a lot of "pleasantly decent" tunes, making it a nice album but not one of Rush's best.

Pleasantly decent is a good description for the majority of the tracks on Presto. It's a nice listen for when I want "easy listening," laid back Rush.

Song-wise, it's a blowout with Presto as the winner.

Album-wise, Presto wins fairly comfortably but it's not a blowout.

I have 4 songs I like or love off Presto.

My 3 least favorites off Presto are just forgettable or so so.

I have 3 songs I like or love off RTB.

My 3 least favorites off RTB I actually dislike.

This is very hard, but I'm voting Presto over RTB.

Both albums have great songs, and stinkers.

Roll the bones sounds much better, but in the end, overall I like more Presto songs the RTB songs.

I must admit it sucked to see Geddy playing Scars on keyboard though. :codger:

I think if there was any other song from Presto they wanted to resurrect, they would have done it on one of the last few tours (like they did with the title track).

Neil said he wanted to do Hand Over Fist on R40. I presume he was out voted. Maybe that's why he retired?!!!