Your fave version of Natural Science?

Texas King

Your fave version of Natural Science?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Your fave version of Natural Science?

• studio version on Permanent Waves
    • live 1997 (Different Stages)
    • live in Rio, 2002
    • Snakes & Arrows Tour, 2007
    • R40 Live, 2015

I'd have gone with the original recording, but the Rio version that features a shot of Mr. potato head with his arms wide open at the exact moment that Ged sings "in their own image" captures their unique humour perfectly. Edited by Phantom
  • Like 2

I didn't vote because any version of Natural Science is a favorite version of Natural Science, and there was no 'all of the above' option. :heart:
  • Like 3

While we're on the subject, does anyone know why and when they started doubling the "Wheels within wheels in a spiral array . . " section ?? .. it sort of kills the vibe for me

And where did Alex's second solo go ??

• Like 3

While we're on the subject, does anyone know why and when they started doubling the "Wheels within wheels in a spiral array . . " section ?? .. it sort of kills the vibe for me

The first time I heard them do it I thought it was a mistake. I've never cared for it either but have gotten used to it. Blows the whole feel of the song live since the studio version is so epic.

So obviously my choice is the studio version.

• Like 3

The first time I heard them do it I thought it was a mistake. I've never cared for it either but have gotten used to it. Blows the whole feel of the song live since the studio version is so epic.

So obviously my choice is the studio version.

The Eaglemoon Amplified Fart Bass version isn't on the list or I'd be tempted to vote for it.

I think it was in Contents Under Pressure where Geddy said:

1) He thought they overdid it in the last part, hence eliminating the second verse of that section and the solo.

2) They sang the "wheels within wheels" part at the beginning twice live to give it more resonance.

Edited by The K Man
  • Like 2

October 19, 1996 in Albany, New York.

My vote would probably be for versions after March 1980 on the PeW tour, 1981 renditions, TFE renditions, and the 2008 SnA versions.

• Like 2

The 'Different Stages' version is by far the best. I enjoy the repeated "wheels within wheels..." part, and I was glad they axed the "art as expression" section. Those lyrics just don't fit the song, to me...they seem as though they were left over from when the band was working on TSoR or something. I used to really like the SnA Live version before I discovered Different Stages. Now when I go back to the SnA Live version, it sounds like it's in slow-motion, like they're on anti-seizure meds or something. Or maybe I'm just the one who's on anti-seizure meds. Don't develop epilepsy, kids! :)

Not to be a stick in the mud, but you do know there's a separate subforum for polls, right?

I answered Different Stages, by the way.

• Like 1

My vote would probably be for versions after March 1980 on the PeW tour, 1981 renditions, TFE renditions, and the 2008 SnA versions.

I was there.

Sounds about right to me.

• Like 1

What a show that would've been to be at btw! :)

My first opener. Left some fluid there that fine evening. 2112 was OK, but the Resist, Leave That Thing Alone, The Rhythm Method, Natural Science run did me in for sure.......

There's a video for it (except filming guy got there late and it starts at Red Barchetta I think.)

St. Louis boot