Rate the song New World Man

Texas King

Rate the song New World Man  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Rate the song New World Man

The fact it was their highest charting single has nothing to do with why I like it though.

A lot of chart success at a certain time in a band's career is often down to the collective work of the previous albums or album they released.

That seems like a bit of nonsense.
  • Like 1

The fact it was their highest charting single has nothing to do with why I like it though.

A lot of chart success at a certain time in a band's career is often down to the collective work of the previous albums or album they released.

Well think of KISS, Dynasty is not a popular album with fans but it went platinum in no time because fans had high expectations created by previous albums that were extremely popular. They bought Dynasty on trust but were disappointed. The next album Unmasked only went gold and fans generally didn't like that one either. The next album Music From The Elder failed to get any certification at all and that was also unpopular with fans. Creatures of the Night however is a popular album but it failed to take KISS back up to platinum status because of the unpopularity of the previous three albums.

• Like 1

Well think of KISS, Dynasty is not a popular album with fans but it went platinum in no time because fans had high expectations created by previous albums that were extremely popular. They bought Dynasty on trust but were disappointed. The next album Unmasked only went gold and fans generally didn't like that one either. The next album Music From The Elder failed to get any certification at all and that was also unpopular with fans. Creatures of the Night however is a popular album but it failed to take KISS back up to platinum status because of the unpopularity of the previous three albums.

This is true!

As for New World Man, I like it, but they needed to work on the ending. 7.

• Like 1

Dynasty and Music From The Elder are two of my favourite KISS albums. The 3 Ace songs on Dynasty are all amazing, Paul is in top form and Charisma is Gene at his best. I do agree though that sales can reflect past achievements, although it is difficult to make this argument with KISS since Dynasty followed the 4 solo albums, which were a commercial disappointment* and not Alive II nor Love Gun. I think in the case of KISS it was more about the fact that the older fan base had moved on and was turned off by the masses of preteens at the shows. As the 70s turned to the 80s KISS became very uncool and passe. Still, Dynasty and Unmasked were huge sellers for them in Europe & Australia where they had not had as much success prior.

*- Technically the 4 solo albums went "Platinum", but this was due to Neil Bogart's standard practice of shipping 1,000,000 million units to stores on release day in order to achieve certification. The RIAA at the time counted shipments and not returns. Casablanca was famous for this policy to the point that there was an inside joke that went "They ship Platinum and return Gold" meaning that half of their shipments didn't sell and they would have to take them back from the record stores. If someone out there thinks that there were 1 million people interested in listening to any part of Peter Criss's solo album in 1978, they are in uncharted delusional territory!

Aren't we talking about singles, though? And as for Dynasty, I Was Made For Loving You was a big hit.

I think he is right.

Often referred to as selling out.

I Was Made For Loving You was virtually disco,thats what turned hard core Kiss fans off.

I Was Made For Loving You was virtually disco,thats what turned hard core Kiss fans off.

Maybe. But it blew up globally as as a single.

Yeah but the people who bought that single didn't like the rest of the KISS stuff so that big hit was just a flash in the pan, an anomaly.

The only Rush song that has served as my bathroom break/ beer run song at concerts.

The only Rush song that has been intentionally purged off ALL electronic devices.

Any Rock DJ that plays this song, should be put in a mental institution.

It gets a 1

THANK GOD, the boys were smart enough to realize NO ONE wanted to hear that mess during R40

Yet now gets played on Rock stations...it's made a strange left turn 40 years later

The only Rush song that has served as my bathroom break/ beer run song at concerts.

The only Rush song that has been intentionally purged off ALL electronic devices.

It gets a 1

THANK GOD, the boys were smart enough to realize NO ONE wanted to hear that mess during R40

It's the most metal song of 1982, it ROCKS!!!!! :haz:

• Like 1

Yet now gets played on Rock stations...it's made a strange left turn 40 years later

It has just enough distorted guitars to qualify.

• Like 1

It gets a 1

Did someone say..............1982??

Metal??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J51LPlP-s9o

It gets a 1

Did someone say..............1982??

Metal??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J51LPlP-s9o

Maiden were just a warm up act for RUSH in 1982.

• Like 1

It gets a 1

Next time I get some DJ work I am going to play New World Man followed directly by Suicidal Tendencies Institutionalized. Now if only I could sample in, Mom, just let me play New World Man, please, all I want is to hear New World Man, then we'd really have something. 9/10 for me, btw and I'm not crazy! You're the one that's crazy!

Edited by diatribein
  • Like 1

5/10...I don't love it, but I don't hate it either.

I bet you've danced to it many times!

I've never seen 1 Rush fan Air Keyboard to this song at a show

That is proof it sucks

That is proof it sucks

I do it every time! Air guitar, bass, drums and vocals and chicken neck dancing!

• Like 2

Yeah but the people who bought that single didn't like the rest of the KISS stuff

How do you know this?

A rare RUSH track that is better heard on the radio than in the context of the full album or live.

Yeah but the people who bought that single didn't like the rest of the KISS stuff

How do you know this?

Because no other KISS single sold as well, so it's logical to project that extra people who bought that single didn't buy any others or they would have sold the same.