The Official Emo thread

Brand New- The Quiet Things No One Ever Knows (2003)

• Like 2

The Juliana Theory- Shell Of A Man (2003)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI8w2cev00U

I love The Juliana Theory! Thanks for introducing me to them!
  • Like 1

They are in so many ways the most special band to me in the whole world. Even Lacuna Coil struggle to match the feeling I have for this band...They've never been my absolute favourite but they are also amongst the first bands I scream about when people ask me what bands I LOVE the most.

• Like 1

What about the Chainsaw Kittens ?? ... anyone a fan ?? .. They sorta seem to it here, maybe not ..

She's Gone Mad isn't even in a category for me, it's just one of the most incredible songs ever

What about the Chainsaw Kittens ?? ... anyone a fan ?? .. They sorta seem to it here, maybe not ..

She's Gone Mad isn't even in a category for me, it's just one of the most incredible songs ever

Why don't you give feedback on the prime examples I've just shared first? If anyone asks what emo is I've shown several of the most acclaimed, earlier examples.

Haven't watched this but like any genre it became over saturated and like any cult style that breaks into the mainstream it became a parody of itself.

The "emo" as most recognise it makes me sad.

• Like 1

Haven't watched this but like any genre it became over saturated and like any cult style that breaks into the mainstream it became a parody of itself.

So, emo was more than haircuts and tight jeans?

;)

So, emo was more than haircuts and tight jeans?

;)

You've obviously ignored every band I've shown in this thread.

• Like 1

This seems all over the board - there is no way to define this genre ... As much as the music speaks, the influences and what brought these bands to exist are so varied ...

Rites Of Spring are as different to Thrice as can be .... I understand that there is a gap in when these bands recorded this, but what is it that links these bands ?

I mean, I know what links some to others .... but that is my own personal experience

I'm not sure "emo" is a good tag for Weezer

• Like 2

:LOL:

You're not exactly the Bringer of Light when it comes to me knowing these bands. I always had a steady pipeline of mixtapes (burned discs, really) from students that kept me up to speed on music trends, including emo/screemo. Not being an angst-ridden teen at the time, the pure emo stuff didn't connect with me much. But I did like inventive groups of the time like Dresden Dolls, in particular this track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO5APfKnR50

Edited by goose
  • Like 2

You know...I think Vapor Trails may have the sensibility of an emo album, but with subject matter I can better connect with. Back on track...here's a song by Brand New that I think's pretty solid:

• Like 2

This seems all over the board - there is no way to define this genre ... As much as the music speaks, the influences and what brought these bands to exist are so varied ...

Rites Of Spring are as different to Thrice as can be .... I understand that there is a gap in when these bands recorded this, but what is it that links these bands ?

I mean, I know what links some to others .... but that is my own personal experience

Thats really just what I was thinking, when Segue asked you for feedback with his suggestions. I don't like labels with music, and there are other bands listed here that come under very different genres than "emo." No I wouldn't really class Weezer strictly as emo, in the same regard some of the bands Segue has mentioned come under very different musical genres, to other people.

For me its simple, everyone has their subjective opinion, on what bands fall under what labels, to match marketing stipulations.

There is good and bad music, thats as defined as it needs to get, for me

Edited by condemned2bfree

You've spend less than a day trying to make sense of a genre I've loved for 15 years. I told you before the style grew and grew tremendously from the same scene. A band like Juliana Theory for example shifted gears every album.

It makes sense when you actually immerse yourself in the style and don't just play a few songs in a few minutes and suddenly expect to know what you are talking about.

And Weezer belong in emo. They helped change the landscape of the style forever.

• Like 1

You're not exactly the Bringer of Light when it comes to me knowing these bands. I always had a steady pipeline of mixtapes (burned discs, really) from students that kept me up to speed on music trends, including emo/screemo. Not being an angst-ridden teen at the time, the pure emo stuff didn't connect with me much. But I did like inventive groups of the time like Dresden Dolls, in particular this track:

Forgive me lol I had a sleepless night and was a moody brat for most of it haha

Dresden Dolls were so much fun!

• Like 1

Forgive me lol I had a sleepless night and was a moody brat for most of it haha

Dresden Dolls were so much fun!

Neo-cabaret nonsense...good fun!

Okay.

Since this thread exists and I've always wondered, can someone point me to the "real emo?" I know MCR and Paramore and that stuff, and I even know Jimmy Eat World and Death Cab For Cutie, but I've heard many times those aren't emo. So please, someone, tell me what it is. With examples!

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1