We CAN all float, somewhere

Fordgalaxy

I use Groupons every now and then, and recently there was an offer for a "float" (think Altered States minus the hallucinogens) so I thought I'd give it a try and I'm glad I did. The one I went to uses a pod that has lots of water in it with a lot of epsom salts dissolved in the water and is very buoyant. The water is 98.6ish degrees so once you get in and get settled, you kind of forget you're floating. This company gives you the option of music the whole time (you can choose the type of music at the beginning but can't change it) or just for the first and last 5 minutes. There is a blue light that illuminates the inside but you can shut that off which makes it pitch black. I chose the 5 and 5 and turned my light off after I got situated.

I don't recall falling asleep, and don't really think I did, but when the music restarted, I wasn't aware that it had been anywhere close to 55 minutes. I fumbled for the light because I was kind of disoriented but quickly became reoriented. When I pushed up on the lid, I was a little unsteady and felt just a bit off, but once I got out and stood for a few seconds, I seemed to regain my wits, so to speak.

They provided a locked room with your own shower that you use before and after, and they said most people float in their birthday suit, so that's what I did and it was fine.

Anyone here ever done that or similar, and if so, what did you think?

• Like 2

This is very interesting FG .. what benefits do you feel ??

I have never done floating, but I get acupuncture one to two times per week, which is what I thought of when reading your post - esp the part about not being aware of an hour going by so fast ..

I didn't really do it for any benefits but more for the experience. From what I've read some people do feel better regarding their joints or back issues but I'd guess those are temporary. I don't discount that there could be more long lasting benefits, but I'm not much into that type of thing. I'd still recommend it, if for no other reason than for the experience. It's kind of liberating floating in the buff letting your mind wander or meditating or whatever you fancy.
  • Like 1

Wow, that's interesting. I had no idea they did such things. I'd love to try it. Edited by EagleMoon