Bands You Love Because Of TRF

Segue Myles

So I've loved this forum for many reasons. The biggest reason, after the cool guys I've met, is the music.

When I came to this forum I thought I had a very diverse music taste. Nearly four years later, I feel like I don't know enough!

So, here are my favourite bands I've come to know since joining:

Black Crowes

King's X

Kansas

Post-power Windows Rush

Tom Petty

Dream Theater (possibly my favourite love hate relationship ever)

Styx

Dokken

Ratt

Tonnes of cool stuff Treeduck listens too

Wow!

DOKKEN AND RATT!

You are welcome! LOL!

I have to give props to many on here! I have excellent knowledge in music but I am always learning thanks to this place.

Discovering new bands and even old bands on here is mostly why I stick around.

I owe a lot of the credit to Duck!

He has turned me on to so many bands over the years.

I love this guy.

Hell he got me into GHOST!!!!

Queen

It all started when ReGor did the poll between Bohemian Rhapsody and a Rush song I can't quite remember which one. I couldn't understand how anyone could have chosen the Queen song.

One thing led to another.

The rest is TRF history!

:)

• Like 1

The Tea Party (bean)

Blue Oyster Cult (bean)

Jesca Hoop (bean)

Spirogyra (bean)

Eels (bean)

Bjork (bean)

Judas Priest (bean, treeduck)

Deep Purple (treeduck)

Symphony X (treeduck)

Steve Morse Band (treeduck)

Purson (Chronos)

Porcupine Tree (YYZumbi, Ya_Big_Tree)

• Like 2

Amon Düül II (Cyclonus X-1--excellent music that has had a noticeable impact on my visual art)

Gentle Giant (Cyclonus X-1 gave the real push though admittedly seeing many other fans here made me curious, too--please, nobody feel left out!)

Yezda Urfa (Cyclonus X-1--I can't rave enough about the greatness of Sacred Baboon!)

Kalacakra (Cyclonus X-1--man oh man, Crawling to Lhasa is right up my alley!)

Steve Rothery's The Ghosts of Pripyat album specifically (Your_Lion, pip65, and Turbine Freight--seeing folks with such great taste in music praising this album made me want to hear it, and I instantly fell in love and still can't get enough of it)

Your_Lion's music (Your_Lion--superbly emotive playing, plus my cat is a big fan :LOL: )

Cy and I have traded a lot of music recommendations since I joined, and it shows! He deserves extra credit for, after years of failed attempts by others, finally helping me to find some Symphony X that I could enjoy :laughing guy:

Other bands whose work I really enjoy and want to further explore are Eskaton, Failure, Helmet, Magma, and The Mess--all Cy recommendations, and all poised to soar up my list with greater exposure.

Turbine Freight has steered me toward some excellent classical pieces, and treeduck has done the same with some jazz fusion.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg; I have a few other bands/artists on my "to listen" list thanks to this place.

This has turned into a rather long post, but I love this topic! The aspects of this forum that I love most are the people and the non-Rush music introductions. Keep 'em coming! :cheers:

Edited by bean-tor
  • Like 2

I guess I can now add Alice In Chains.

It's because of the praose on this forum that I revisited them. Absolutely love them!

Screaming Trees as well (thank you JohnnyBlaze).

I'm gonna thank Blue J for getting me back into Jimmy Buffett.

look past the silly image and certain hits. the guy made genuinely great albums all through the 70's to mid albums. truly good artist deep down.

one of the most fun shows i've ever been to as well.

Mick

• Like 1

I'm gonna thank Blue J for getting me back into Jimmy Buffett.

:ebert:

BlueJ got me to dive deeper into the Black Crowes, sending me some bootlegs to facilitate the process. He made me a huge fan, so much so that I just drove 1200 miles round trip to see As The Crow Flies in Portland this weekend. (Sure, two days earlier at Lake Tahoe, 25 minutes from my house, but that's beside the point)

The show was amazing, with Chris Robinson and Co. playing choice cuts from the Black Crowes as well as classic tracks from Marshall Tucker (Take the Highway), Deep Purple (Hush), and CSN (Almost Cut My Hair). The latter featured the most moving guitar solo I'd ever witnessed, pulled off by this guy, Marcus King. He's my new favorite guitarist...really gets going around 2:40 here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y342qqCAhg

Edited by goose

Honestly I can't think of any. I already listen to a large variety of music so most of the stuff suggested I've already heard or listened to regularly at some point.

Same here, along the same reasoning. I think being an old fart has plenty to do with it.
  • Like 1

Not so much this forum but I got into a Fleet Foxes because of Geddy. They’re much better than the typical acts they’re compared to like that overrated boring Bon Iver crap. Nice Beach Boys style harmonies in their songs. Edited by invisible airwave

KARNIVOOL

......thank you for this.

You're welcome. Really good proggy metal from Australia with melodic vocals. One of my new faves.

I actually have to thank Sully Sue :)

• Like 1

KARNIVOOL

......thank you for this.

You're welcome. Really good proggy metal from Australia with melodic vocals. One of my new faves.

I actually have to thank Sully Sue :)

I put them on at the gym today because I saw you mention them here. Never heard them before. I like it.