Geddy Lee's ranking of Rush studio albums

Texas King

This is a HUGE reason why RUSH 1980 - 2013 >>>>>>>>>>> RUSH 1973 - 1980 for me. I really dislike all the fantasy and literary nonsense lyrics from those early albums.

I assume you know that for what became the "Natural Science" (1980 release), Peart originally planned on writing one more fantasy song about Sir Gawain & The Green Knight (in which case you might have rated albums from 1981 as superior)

https://ultimateclas...nt-waves-album/

https://www.reddit.c...gawain_and_the/ (originally intended lyrics)

Edited by The400Boys

1.Moving Pictures

2.Permanent Waves

4.Hemispheres

5.A Farewell to Kings

6.Rush

7.Signals

8.Caress of Steel

9.Fly by Night

From That Metal Show.

http://scontent.fbeg1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13925176_498655817011375_3763467963988208838_n.jpg?oh=8d5b4527ff046dbede940d8d9c090a2a&oe=5983A160

What you think about this?

I can say his picks are totally old-school. That's very good IMO, except for the Rush s/t debut - I honestly can't believe he ranked it fairly high.

I love that CARESS OF STEEL made the list!!! YES!!!!

1.Moving Pictures

2.Permanent Waves

4.Hemispheres

5.A Farewell to Kings

6.Rush

7.Signals

8.Caress of Steel

9.Fly by Night

From That Metal Show.

http://scontent.fbeg1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13925176_498655817011375_3763467963988208838_n.jpg?oh=8d5b4527ff046dbede940d8d9c090a2a&oe=5983A160

I can say his picks are totally old-school. That's very good IMO, except for the Rush s/t debut - I honestly can't believe he ranked it fairly high.

He has very good taste is what I think:

1. MP

2. Hemi

3. PeW

4. AFTK

5. 2112

I wouldn't put those others anywhere near my 10 though.

1.Moving Pictures

2.Permanent Waves

4.Hemispheres

5.A Farewell to Kings

6.Rush

7.Signals

8.Caress of Steel

9.Fly by Night

From That Metal Show.

It's a great list, the exact order doesn't matter, he's got the right albums in there.

I'm taken aback by Ged's list.

He didn't name anything after 1982.

They made 10 more albums after Signals, and he doesn't think any of them are superior to, say, Hemispheres, or Fly By Night?

Some of those are my very favorites.

I'm an artist myself -- a writer -- so I know that we lose perspective on our own work.

This is Exhibit AAAA of that tendency.

They made 10 more albums after Signals, and he doesn't think any of them are superior to, say, Hemispheres, or Fly By Night?

I'm an artist myself -- a writer -- so I know that we lose perspective on our own work.

You missed the part which said he was only ranking the first 9 albums. You can breathe now.

Edited to add: I tried to find exactly where I read that it’s just the first 9 but I can’t.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

1.Moving Pictures

2.Permanent Waves

4.Hemispheres

5.A Farewell to Kings

6.Rush

7.Signals

8.Caress of Steel

9.Fly by Night

From That Metal Show.

He was only ranking the first nine albums. I’ll bet CoS wouldn’t make Geddy’s top 10 if he did the entire discography

1.Moving Pictures

2.Permanent Waves

4.Hemispheres

5.A Farewell to Kings

6.Rush

7.Signals

8.Caress of Steel

9.Fly by Night

From That Metal Show.

He was only ranking the first nine albums. I’ll bet CoS wouldn’t make Geddy’s top 10 if he did the entire discography

He forgot he made the other 10 albums.

Further to what others have said IIRC from watching the show at the time, Geddy was handed vinyl copies of the first 9 studio albums and asked to place them on a shelf in his order of preference.

Clearly it was Eddie Trunk's idea hence only albums from what he considers Rush's classic period were featured.

Edited by Lurkst
  • Like 2

Further to what others have said IIRC from watching the show at the time, Geddy was handed vinyl copies of the first 9 studio albums and asked to place them on a shelf in his order of preference.

Clearly it was Eddie Trunk's idea hence only albums from what he considers Rush's classic period were featured.

:cheers:

I knew I wasn’t imagining it. And I know Geddy would rank quite a few above CoS. He’s more generous than I am.

• Like 1

You missed the part which said he was only ranking the first 9 albums. You can breathe now.

Yep. That's what he was asked to do. Makes all the hubbub pretty funny. :LOL:

For sure. I enjoy when Earl spazzes out in either direction of good and bad too... “I CAN’T FUKKING BELIEVE IT!!! CARESS OF STEEL MADE TOP 10! TAKE THAT YOU RUSH HATERS AND POSERS!!” :LOL:

• Like 3

For sure. I enjoy when Earl spazzes out in either direction of good and bad too... “I CAN’T FUKKING BELIEVE IT!!! CARESS OF STEEL MADE TOP 10! TAKE THAT YOU RUSH HATERS AND POSERS!!” :LOL:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Classic JB! You know me well!!!!!! YOU NAILED IT!!!! LOL!

• Like 1

FUKK YEAH!!!!! <—— that was in my Earl voice. Did you see the spittle fly from my mouth? :blaze:

• Like 1

FUKK YEAH!!!!! <—— that was in my Earl voice. Did you see the spittle fly from my mouth? :blaze:

HAHAHAHAHA! How do you know I spittle from my mouth? LOL! Yup!

HAHAHAHAHA! How do you know I spittle from my mouth? LOL! Yup!

You’re a loud bastard I just know it. You must spray! :LOL: