Geddy Lee's ranking of Rush studio albums

Texas King

1-3 Caress of Steel, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures

4-6 :rush: , 2112, Hemispheres

7 Signals

8 Fly By Night

9 A Farewell to Kings

I like your thinking other than AFTK needs to be much higher.

And Hemispheres needs to come before the debut.. geez Goose try to do better next time ok ;)

Those three share the 4-6 spots interchangeably. And I love the debut.
  • Like 1

7 Signals

8 Fly By Night

9 A Farewell to Kings

And Hemispheres needs to come before the debut.. geez Goose try to do better next time ok ;)

Those three share the 4-6 spots interchangeably. And I love the debut.

Redeemed!

• Like 1

The reason all the albums are older in that ranking is because those are the only albums they gave him to rank. Also, this was two years ago now. Not really big news.

So I wonder -- how would they be different if they gave him ALL the albums.

• Like 2

7 Signals

8 Fly By Night

9 A Farewell to Kings

I think AFTK has two great songs (Xanadu and CTTH), three others that are a mixed bag from genius to nonsense, and Madrigal...my least favorite RUSH song.

I've always loved the production of AFTK. The sound just fits. But yeah.. I agree with your assesment.

Signals being as low as it is is intriguing.

I think he regrets how much the synths cut into Alex's guitar space on that album.

• Like 1

I think he regrets how much the synths cut into Alex's guitar space on that album.

If I was Geddy I'd regret most of the songs.

...you mean on Signals?

...you mean on Signals?

Yeah. I just don't like it really...Digital Man for one is close to my least favourite Rush song ever.

• Like 2

...you mean on Signals?

Yeah. I just don't like it really...Digital Man for one is close to my least favourite Rush song ever.

Signals is "KILLER"
  • Like 1

...you mean on Signals?

Signals is "KILLER"

Yeah as in it nearly killed off my interest. Glad I persevered...

...you mean on Signals?

Oh, yeah that's understandable. It's a very odd album for them in terms of songwriting. Some seventies techniques still left over but most of the guitars are replaced with synths and the lyrics have taken a turn for the abstract or socially conscious.

Some seventies techniques still left over but most of the guitars are replaced with synths and the lyrics have taken a turn for the abstract or socially conscious.

This is a HUGE reason why RUSH 1980 - 2013 >>>>>>>>>>> RUSH 1973 - 1980 for me. I really dislike all the fantasy and literary nonsense lyrics from those early albums. There is nothing to relate to in them for me. It is lyrical masturbation. But the socially conscious lyrics, that so many of you seem to revile and call preachy, are brilliant to me. I love them. I feel pleasure singing along to them, unlike songs about fictional characters and fantastic voyages. That shit bores me to tears, so I don't sing along.

Some seventies techniques still left over but most of the guitars are replaced with synths and the lyrics have taken a turn for the abstract or socially conscious.

lyrical masturbation

be-bop or a one-drop or hip-hop lite-pop-metallist

http://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/1e/96/53/1e9653f9675ef7bb719a86cf607e2165.jpg

:P

• Like 3

lyrical masturbation

True, that is a line in a song that is about taking chances over living with regret.

Look, this is a very personal, but I'm trying to be open and honest here, so please take that into account before replying - As a person who lives with an extreme amount of regret from not taking chances to have the life they really wanted as a twenty-something year old, the song really strikes a chord with me, as does much of that album. I did NOT bet my life and as a result have lived a life that is full of regret. Without going into too much detail, I had a chance to go to a city on the other side of the world from my parents where I would know nobody and live without a safety net, but have a very small chance at my dream job. Instead I stayed at home because I allowed people and myself to convince me it was too risky of a life choice. It was the wrong decision. I am still tormented by that mistake. Sure, Roll The Bones has plenty of pop-sensibilities. I actually like that. I like the line you quoted. I also love that song despite the fact that in many ways the lyrics touch a nerve for me. In fact of all the RUSH albums the two that speak to me most personally from a lyrical perspective are that one and Snakes & Arrows. I am not ashamed to sing be-bop or a one-drop or hip-hop lite-pop-metallist cause I could have been one of whatever the fuckk that is if I had made better choices. I'll wear that ugly badge, because I made it for myself.

Edited by diatribein
  • Like 1

lyrical masturbation

True, that is a line in a song that is about taking chances over living with regret.

Look, this is a very personal, but I'm trying to be open and honest here, so please take that into account before replying - As a person who lives with an extreme amount of regret from not taking chances to have the life they really wanted as a twenty-something year old, the song really strikes a chord with me, as does much of that album. I did NOT bet my life and as a result have lived a life that is full of regret. Without going into too much detail, I had a chance to go to a city half way around the world from my parents where I would know nobody and live without a safety net, but have a very small chance at my dream job. Instead I stayed at home because I allowed people and myself to convince me it was too risky of a life choice. It was the wrong decision. I am still tormented by that mistake. Sure, Roll The Bones has plenty of pop-sensibilities. I actually like that. I like the line you quoted. I also love that song despite the fact that in many ways the lyrics touch a nerve for me. In fact of all the RUSH albums the two that speak to me most personally from a lyrical perspective are that one and Snakes & Arrows. I am not ashamed to sing be-bop or a one-drop or hip-hop lite-pop-metallist cause I could have been one of whatever the fuckk that is if I had made better choices. I'll wear that ugly badge, because I made it for myself.

Okay. I also wrote this in another thread earlier but apparently was talking to myself.

Until I came on this board I could have never fathomed that there were RUSH fans who disliked Roll The Bones & Test For Echo this much. I went through life knowing that RUSH made a huge improvement to their songwriting and sound in 1980 and that all the albums since where better than the ones prior to that year. Strangely, I feel even less of a sense of community than before I ever logged on to the board. Anyway, despite this poll and how the 20 of you feel (it's just 20, so I actually shouldn't put very much stock in the voting), I remain unfazed. Nothing about what RUSH did in the 70s was better than what they would go on to do later, Roll The Bones included!

There's no reason to feel less of anything just because you've now seen more opinions...which have always existed anyway.

Check this: I still think Tom Sawyer is a brilliant piece of material, lyrically and musically. However, there are plenty of TRFers who think Tom Sawyer is just "okay", "overplayed", etc. But that's irrelevant to how the music affects me.

I think You Bet Your Life sucks. IMHO, it's either their worst tune or second worst ((Bravest Face might be #1)). The vocals on YBYL are fine but I don't like the rest of the music. And I really dislike the lyrics which remind me of Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire". But so what? If you get off on it then that's all that matters. :yes:

Being part of a community doesn't have to mean agreeing with everything. However, it does mean accepting that other opinions exist and will continue to do so. :cheers:

• Like 2

I saw it. You dislike two of my favourites. I didn't feel like talking about why I love them in that thread as it felt like an argument and I didn't want to argue. For some reason, I think some people feel I am coming off as hostile.

Evidence:

As far as I'm concerned any RUSH album beats any Led Zeppelin album, even Feedback or the 1st Rush album over Led Zeppelin IV, so this isn't even a question.

This statement is so unreal that I can't find words to describe it, really.

I know it is a real SHOCKER to find RUSH fans on this RUSH fanboard that don't listen to Led Zeppelin!

If someone asked me if I liked the Placebo album Black Market Music or Moving Pictures more I would answer Placebo. I'm not blind to other bands, but a lot of this 70s rock is just boring to me. How much music do you listen to that came out when you were less than 5 years old?

Calm down.

Calm down.

Who says I'm not calm? Sarcasm does not equate to agitation. I actually had a wry smile when I typed that. Although I think my last question is valid. I think most of the 70s troopers on here listen to very little music (if any) that was released prior to 1965 when they were the same age I was in 1980 and they certainly don't consider it better than what was released when they were teenagers in the 70s.

Fine. Then please adjust your attitude, cuz it won't get you very far around here.

I wasn't being hostile in the thread above. I'm not quite sure why it came off as such. I know sarcasm on the internet is a dangerous thing, but I actually felt like I executed it in the most obvious and fun way possible. Either way, I didn't answer you on that thread because I was just going to drop the discussion rather than appear to be arguing. I posted what I said here because I thought that the way you quoted the lyric was a cute way to jab at me about my statement about how the lyrics post 1980 were better.

Edited by diatribein
  • Like 1

I saw it. You dislike two of my favourites. I didn't feel like talking about why I love them in that thread as it felt like an argument and I didn't want to argue. For some reason, I think some people feel I am coming off as hostile.

Evidence:

As far as I'm concerned any RUSH album beats any Led Zeppelin album, even Feedback or the 1st Rush album over Led Zeppelin IV, so this isn't even a question.

I know it is a real SHOCKER to find RUSH fans on this RUSH fanboard that don't listen to Led Zeppelin!

If someone asked me if I liked the Placebo album Black Market Music or Moving Pictures more I would answer Placebo. I'm not blind to other bands, but a lot of this 70s rock is just boring to me. How much music do you listen to that came out when you were less than 5 years old?

Calm down.

Calm down.

Who says I'm not calm? Sarcasm does not equate to agitation. I actually had a wry smile when I typed that. Although I think my last question is valid. I think most of the 70s troopers on here listen to very little music (if any) that was released prior to 1965 when they were the same age I was in 1980 and they certainly don't consider it better than what was released when they were teenagers in the 70s.

Fine. Then please adjust your attitude, cuz it won't get you very far around here.

I wasn't being hostile in the thread above. I'm not quite sure why it came off as such. I know sarcasm on the internet is a dangerous thing, but I actually felt like I executed it in the most obvious and fun way possible. Either way, I didn't answer you on that thread because I was just going to drop the discussion rather than appear to be arguing. I posted what I said here because I thought that the way you quoted the lyric was a cute way to jab at me about my statement about how the lyrics post 1980 were better.

Ah ok.

That jab was a jab but an intended playful one. And it's on par with how I might jab at say Lucas, a friend who i agree with as much as I disagree with...and there are plenty of disagreements :LOL:

I mean come on, who in their right mind besides a junior high Japanese girl would like AKB48?! Lucas, where are you?! :LOL:

• Like 2

Evidence:

Calm down.

Calm down.

Ah ok.

That jab was a jab but an intended playful one. And it's on par with how I might jab at say Lucas, a friend who i agree with as much as I disagree with...and there are plenty of disagreements :LOL:

I mean come on, who in their right mind besides a junior high Japanese girl would like AKB48?! Lucas, where are you?! :LOL:

OK, now we are getting somewhere

:LOL:

• Like 2

In all seriousness, I see diatribein mentioned Black Market Music, which is one of my all time favorite albums

I am surprised there isn't more love for Placebo here on the forum - they are a great, very creative band

• Like 1

Lucas, you were right about Vincent Gallo in Buffalo 66 though --- he was brilliant. I originally gave that movie a "B" but thinking about his performance, I might have to at least bump it up to a "B+", possibly an "A-"...but that might be because today is Friday here and I'm in a good mood. :LOL:

In all seriousness, I see diatribein mentioned Black Market Music, which is one of my all time favorite albums

I am surprised there isn't more love for Placebo here on the forum - they are a great, very creative band

No other trio shall be spoken of!!! You risk banishment for doing so!!!

More Seriously though, I think that they are too late 90s/early 2000s for many of the board members here. Not to disparage anyone's age, but it just doesn't seem like an era of music they are all that tuned in to. :P

I got to see Placebo on the Without You I'm Nothing tour in Boston opening for Stabbing Westward, the Black Market Music tour in Boston & Montreal, and on the Sleeping with Ghosts tour also in Montreal. Great shows all of them, but my favourite was the Black Market Music show in Boston.

Edited by diatribein

Unbelievable. It's like Geddy Lee has no knowledge or experience with the music he created. Sheesh.

Yeah but we would see it different than he would being on the inside and creating it. He has memories about them that we don't. Artists never look at their own creations like outsiders do.

This is what I was thinking. I remember watching this when it first aired. I doubt Geddy would say Rush is objectively better than Signals. I would guess nostalgia for the excitement of the time--making your first record!--influenced his thinking. It does look different from the inside for reasons we cannot understand as fans.

But hey, what do I know? Full disclosure: Signals is my favorite Rush album. Perhaps I just can't bear to believe that Geddy rates it so low.

• Like 2

Evidence:

Calm down.

Calm down.

Fair enough, but you should still keep your temper a bit more in check about others' opinions and about others' reactions to your own. That will help you not to come off as unintentionally hostile.

Also:

Look, this is a very personal, but I'm trying to be open and honest here, so please take that into account before replying - As a person who lives with an extreme amount of regret from not taking chances to have the life they really wanted as a twenty-something year old, the song really strikes a chord with me, as does much of that album. I did NOT bet my life and as a result have lived a life that is full of regret. Without going into too much detail, I had a chance to go to a city half way around the world from my parents where I would know nobody and live without a safety net, but have a very small chance at my dream job. Instead I stayed at home because I allowed people and myself to convince me it was too risky of a life choice. It was the wrong decision. I am still tormented by that mistake. Sure, Roll The Bones has plenty of pop-sensibilities. I actually like that. I like the line you quoted. I also love that song despite the fact that in many ways the lyrics touch a nerve for me. In fact of all the RUSH albums the two that speak to me most personally from a lyrical perspective are that one and Snakes & Arrows. I am not ashamed to sing be-bop or a one-drop or hip-hop lite-pop-metallist cause I could have been one of whatever the fuckk that is if I had made better choices. I'll wear that ugly badge, because I made it for myself.

Try not to take us too seriously.

This is a HUGE reason why RUSH 1980 - 2013 >>>>>>>>>>> RUSH 1973 - 1980 for me. I really dislike all the fantasy and literary nonsense lyrics from those early albums. There is nothing to relate to in them for me. It is lyrical masturbation. But the socially conscious lyrics, that so many of you seem to revile and call preachy, are brilliant to me. I love them. I feel pleasure singing along to them, unlike songs about fictional characters and fantastic voyages. That shit bores me to tears, so I don't sing along.

I get that.
  • Like 1