Alex says Rush Isn't Done

Ron2112

You guys are funny. Neil gives you 40+ years of greatness, and some of you are still resentful of him for wanting to retire. I hate to be patronizing, but my gosh, you sound ungrateful.

And some people are too far up their own ass to joke about a silly ass band and one member's peculiar character traits...and drinking problems.

Not saying you...just sayin'.

Peart is a free man to do as he pleases. I don't really give a fück if he plays again or not. I already have a lifetime of great music to enjoy from my favorite band of all time. Yet that does not mean I cannot clearly see that the man is...uh...peculiar and seems (seems, mind you) to have cut ties with band mates of 40 years. I find that odd and he got/gets to skate on doing any public appearances for the band that allowed him to live as he pleases. He pushes all of that off on Ged/Al. That rubs me the wrong way. I think Peart got his cake and ate it too...he wanted to be a good musician but that also comes at the price of fame and recognition...both of which he tries to reject and impugnes people who dare publicly acknowledge his astounding musicianship. A complex man yet childish also who feels the need to run around with a body guard which I find laughable and absurd. I admire greatly (which would embarrass him I'm sure) his skill as a drummer yet find him personally irritating...to wit I will crack needless jokes at his expense because he deserves it.

Carry on.

So, basically, you're saying that if you're good at something and people like you, you're not allowed to be an introvert? That's unfair. No offense, but who are you to put such standards on someone you don't know? :huh: You aren't in his situation. The man is in pain and has given a lot to us. He didn't want the fame because he keeps to himself, and people oohing and ahhing over him all the time makes him uncomfortable. Are you telling me that he should just suck it up, flip some imaginary switch, and become an extrovert just because you find his insecurities "childish [. . .] laughable and absurd?"

Edited by Disk98
  • Like 2

Neil is sitting on his back porch laughing at this

Yup. He's given more to rock and roll than everyone on trf combined by far yet here we are bickering and throwing insults and expectations at him. It is funny!

• Like 2

I had a best friend who was my bassist in just about every band i played in from 15yrs old to about ten years ago(thats nearly 30 years together)He said i have had enough of this sold his bass,got married,and promptly disappeared.I haven't seen or heard from him in ten years.But we were'nt famous,we were'nt Rush.Things like this happen.We didn't have a falling out,he was just tired of the late night gigs and all that goes with it.There's the saying of 'A musician-A person who lugs $5,000 worth of gear into a $500 car to play a $50 gig'.We do it for the love of it and of course the preceding joke didn't apply to Rush in later years,but the whole touring thing i would imagine would be a chore.Any musician will tell that those two hours on stage are great but the rest of the day is a drag.I can imagine Neil sitting back shunning the Limelight and good on him.He will emerge again one day.Now Alex and Ged,get on with it.
  • Like 1

Not being a smart-ass here, and I haven't read this entire thread, but does anyone find it odd that Neil would dis-associate himself so completely from two guys he spent sooooo much time with over the last 45 years? Is there maybe something going on we don't know? I mean, sure...give up the gig. You're old and tired and have a liquor habit to nurse. But to just cut ties? I don't get it.

He's a wierd guy. Even his mother said so in the documentary.

I remember reading an interview with him discussing Clockwork Angels and he was talking about the lyrics to Wish Them Well. He said part of the motivation for the song is that he often finds himself cutting all ties to people he'd previously considered as good friends.

That doesn't strike me as being normal behaviour!

It smacks of bi-polar disorder actually.

• Like 2

Poor Alex. He obviously hasn't given up the dream.

I wonder how his arthritis is going? Is he even up to playing at Rush level? (No offense intended).

Not for a long time.

It's over.

Totally over as a touring act.

I even think recording is probably over as the unit. Neil is done. Gone fishing.

It's over.

It's over.

I even think recording is probably over as the unit. Neil is done. Gone fishing.

It's over.

The music of Rush will still be carried over in the next projects of Alex and Geddy. We will hear the spirit of Rush in their songs, I am sure even though Neil is not on board.

• Like 2

It's over.

It's over.

The music of Rush will still be carried over in the next projects of Alex and Geddy. We will hear the spirit of Rush in their songs, I am sure even though Neil is not on board.

Rush touring is done, especially of this magnitude.

Had hoped Neil would have interest in another album. Nope.

Thought for sure Ged n Al would record some music and play some dates.

But after two years of no mention of new music, I'm thinking we're much more likely to see a new Tool album within 10,000 days than Ged n Al record and tour

It is better is they are done. Went out strong and positive. They knew it was time. They all did.

There is no sense in begging Neil to keep going. Neil is done. Neil has had lots of physical issues from years and years of playing. Let him enjoy his life.

Alex has arthritis issues. Knows he is done too. For the time being, although I think he and Geddy may do something at some point.

Does anyone know that in around 1979, Michael Schenker of UFO was going to be doing a project with Geddy and Neil? I think he wanted to form a band with them, or play on his first solo album. But it did not happen.

I feel that Alex will do some kind of project with other musicians in the future and that Geddy will do another solo album in the not too distant future.

I have a strong feeling that Alex and Geddy regularly talk and communicate with each other, yet I seriously doubt they talk to or communicate with Neil. It is nothing negative at all. I also feel that Neil is very tired of the whole Rush ride and wants to be away from all of it. Not just Rush, but drumming and music as a whole. And that's fine.

• Like 1

Not being a smart-ass here, and I haven't read this entire thread, but does anyone find it odd that Neil would dis-associate himself so completely from two guys he spent sooooo much time with over the last 45 years? Is there maybe something going on we don't know? I mean, sure...give up the gig. You're old and tired and have a liquor habit to nurse. But to just cut ties? I don't get it.

There is no indication that he has cut ties or disassociated himself with Geddy and Alex. He hasn't done public appearances with them since the 2002 reunion (except rare things like Colbert and their own Hall of Fame induction), so him not going to the Yes thing at the Hall was nothing new. Plus, he doesn't live in the same city, or even country, as Alex and Geddy, so it's not like he can just drop in on them to say hi. You are assuming way too much.

Good posting!

• Like 1

There is no indication that he has cut ties or disassociated himself with Geddy and Alex. He hasn't done public appearances with them since the 2002 reunion (except rare things like Colbert and their own Hall of Fame induction), so him not going to the Yes thing at the Hall was nothing new. Plus, he doesn't live in the same city, or even country, as Alex and Geddy, so it's not like he can just drop in on them to say hi. You are assuming way too much.

Yeah but the RRHOF induction was in HIS country, how d'you think Geddy and Alex got there, it wouldn't hurt to make the occasional effort would it, I mean what else does he do all day?

Yeah but the RRHOF induction was in HIS country, how d'you think Geddy and Alex got there, it wouldn't hurt to make the occasional effort would it, I mean what else does he do all day?

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Preach! A man with a habit like that just can't up drive across the country!

• Like 1

Maybe the Filipino Steve Perry knows a Filipino Neil Peart back in the homeland

AGAIN........STRANGER THINGS HAVE HAPPENED

Freddie Mercury was been replaced by the Bad Company Singer

(Wait, did that really happen?? Let me type that again)

Freddie Mercury was been replaced by the Bad Company Singer. YUP True story. The dude who sang 'Feel Like Makin' Love' sang 'We Are The Champions' and No one blinked an eye...

And now American Idol is singing for Queen

Not saying Geddy and Al would do it........................but STRANGER THINGS HAVE HAPPENED

I hope does what anyone else does after they've retired...what they enjoy the most, and whatever they don't enjoy, the least. I believe he's earned that.

Blame the Rolling Stones. Ray Danniels once said in an interview that the Steel Wheels tour was the first with exceedingly high ticket prices and was wildly successful. The rest of the industry took note that the ticket price ceiling was much higher than they realized.

Weird. I thought it was the Eagles reuniting in 1994 that started this.

maxresdefault.jpg

Preach! A man with a habit like that just can't up drive across the country!

That pic is fuckkin sweet!!

Neil can start his own band and call it LUSH!

• Like 1