Alex says Rush Isn't Done

Ron2112

Maybe he's always been the new guy. Maybe they just kept him around for talent alone. We probably all work with people we'd rather not, but they do their job. I hate to think of the "Rush" dynamic as so, but who knows...maybe it is. Neil is a dynamic drummer (the best ever IMO) and awesome lyricist. That doesn't mean that once FBN hit its epic glory, the boys didn't just decide to be "business" partners. And another thing... who devotes their life to being the best rock drummer ever, but despises the limelight so profoundly he doesn't even want to meet a fan. I mean...come on! Being the best rock drummer ever is not a freaking low key job.

In short, Homer Simpson said it best: Alcohol: the reason for- and the answer to- all life's problems.

Neil Peart: The main driver behind Rush's success- and the reason for their end.

Disclaimer: Neil has earned the right to quit if he wants. I just never got the impression he was part of Alex's and Ged's "inner circle". I've been a Rush fan since P/G, so I'm not a newbie. He's just always done HIS thing.

Right, he's never been part of their inner circle.. Probably by his own subconscious decision. Introverted people seek inner reflection the same way extroverts crave social interaction and nobody in the world understands this unless you're an introvert.. So it's ok, he's not an alcoholic or an asshole, just an animal that you don't understand.

How do you know he's not an alcoholic?

I don't. I also don't see any reason to think he is so I guess I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Geddy's the one with a basement full of wine.. Why aren't we calling him an alcoholic? ..Oh yeah, because Geddy's still into performing on stage for us.. so so he can't be an alcoholic

:hail:
  • Like 1

Maybe he's always been the new guy. Maybe they just kept him around for talent alone. We probably all work with people we'd rather not, but they do their job. I hate to think of the "Rush" dynamic as so, but who knows...maybe it is. Neil is a dynamic drummer (the best ever IMO) and awesome lyricist. That doesn't mean that once FBN hit its epic glory, the boys didn't just decide to be "business" partners. And another thing... who devotes their life to being the best rock drummer ever, but despises the limelight so profoundly he doesn't even want to meet a fan. I mean...come on! Being the best rock drummer ever is not a freaking low key job.

In short, Homer Simpson said it best: Alcohol: the reason for- and the answer to- all life's problems.

Neil Peart: The main driver behind Rush's success- and the reason for their end.

Disclaimer: Neil has earned the right to quit if he wants. I just never got the impression he was part of Alex's and Ged's "inner circle". I've been a Rush fan since P/G, so I'm not a newbie. He's just always done HIS thing.

Right, he's never been part of their inner circle.. Probably by his own subconscious decision. Introverted people seek inner reflection the same way extroverts crave social interaction and nobody in the world understands this unless you're an introvert.. So it's ok, he's not an alcoholic or an asshole, just an animal that you don't understand.

I don't. I also don't see any reason to think he is so I guess I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Geddy's the one with a basement full of wine.. Why aren't we calling him an alcoholic? ..Oh yeah, because Geddy's still into performing on stage for us.. so so he can't be an alcoholic

Have you seen his NOSE? :rfl:

• Like 1

I don't know if he is or isn't. I guess I shouldn't be surprised to see unsubstantiated opinions stated as fact here.

I don't know if he is or isn't. I guess I shouldn't be surprised to see unsubstantiated opinions stated as fact here.

Did someone state as a fact that he's an alcoholic?

Okay, okay. I'm the one that made the "liquor habit" comment. It was more or less a tongue-in-cheek reference to the red nose, which is a sign of a heavy drinker. Whether he drinks heavily or not, it has never affected his performance as far as I know. So I withdraw the statement. I was about 10 beers in when I posted that, myself! :laughing guy:

It's in the quoted posts, check it.

Okay, okay. I'm the one that made the "liquor habit" comment. It was more or less a tongue-in-cheek reference to the red nose, which is a sign of a heavy drinker. Whether he drinks heavily or not, it has never affected his performance as far as I know. So I withdraw the statement. I was about 10 beers in when I posted that, myself! :laughing guy:

I think he makes it clear he drinks regularly in his books.

It's in the quoted posts, check it.

Nowhere in these quoted posts do I see anyone stating it as fact.

As per the bolding I added, I see it implied that Neil is an alcoholic, and I see a statement that does not appear to be sarcastic that he is not an alcoholic , but not any statement whatsoever that it is a fact that Neil is an alcoholic.

Can someone explain how this Sirius interview translates to: "Alex says Rush isn't done" per the title of this thread.

Alex and Geddy have both said they will never call themselves Rush without Neil. Alex says "Neil is on the West Coast and we never hear from him". Uhhh...Rush is still done.

Alex and Geddy doing something together would be super cool, and U could see it happening, but it wouldn't be Rush by any means...in title or quality

Oh please. There are enough chops monsters out there that you wouldn't notice a difference. Get one that has even an ounce of groove and it would be a step up. And lyrically, both Victor and MFH were every bit as good as anything Peart ever wrote.

I'd bet my house that no one would notice the difference.

The issue isn't whether or not someone with great chops could fit the bill..someone likely could. The point that Ged drives home is that HE doesn't want to do anything as Rush unless the 3 of them are on board. That's not to say he wouldn't write, record and play live with someone other than Neil...it just wouldn't be as Rush.

• Like 2

I miss Bard.

:LOL:

He promised he'd never return after that last August show. I remember he actually broke that promise by returning for a few comments AFTER that August show.

But I'm hoping he re-keeps that promise from here on out. I hope I'm not disappointed. :P

• Like 1

It doesn't surprise me considering he never seems to do much of anything that includes the other two unless he absolutely has to. It doesn't seem to me that they've ever been much more than just casual friends.
  • Like 1

does anyone find it odd that Neil would dis-associate himself so completely from two guys he spent sooooo much time with over the last 45 years?

I don't find it odd that Peart would do it. Not at all. Y'know his drinking issues and all.

True dat. We all know Geddy and Al don't have drinking issues.

I think it's possible that Neil associates regular contact with the guys with likelihood that "more work" would be pending. It strikes me that if there were any significant ongoing contact, Neil might feel some degree of pressure from Ged and Al re doing something together. Same would be true of Ray Danniels...or most anyone else from Rush management. Given that he's gone on record saying he feels that physically he can't do this anymore, I'm not shocked that they're not in contact. Add to that what must be running through Neil's mind....that countless times in the past, in order to please others, he's agreed to do some work when he really didn't feel he wanted to. I'd say he's earned the right to be left alone for a while, if that's what he wants.
  • Like 3

Agree, but would be nice to hear that he's doing well, and happy, and more importantly, healthy.

I'd agree. If the recent pic of Neil and Mosbach out for dinner in LA is any indication, he looks pretty happy these days.

Edited by Phantom

Agree, but would be nice to hear that he's doing well, and happy, and more importantly, healthy.

I'd agree. If the recent pic of Neil and Mosbach out for dinner in LA is any indication, he looks pretty happy these days.

That's the macallan talking.

No idea..but he appears happy..and I'm pleased by that.

You guys are funny. Neil gives you 40+ years of greatness, and some of you are still resentful of him for wanting to retire. I hate to be patronizing, but my gosh, you sound ungrateful.
  • Like 3

You guys are funny. Neil gives you 40+ years of greatness, and some of you are still resentful of him for wanting to retire. I hate to be patronizing, but my gosh, you sound ungrateful.

Very good point... Even Ged and Al acknowledge how painful it's become for Neil to play. At some point, enough is enough.

Not being a smart-ass here, and I haven't read this entire thread, but does anyone find it odd that Neil would dis-associate himself so completely from two guys he spent sooooo much time with over the last 45 years? Is there maybe something going on we don't know? I mean, sure...give up the gig. You're old and tired and have a liquor habit to nurse. But to just cut ties? I don't get it.

There is no indication that he has cut ties or disassociated himself with Geddy and Alex. He hasn't done public appearances with them since the 2002 reunion (except rare things like Colbert and their own Hall of Fame induction), so him not going to the Yes thing at the Hall was nothing new. Plus, he doesn't live in the same city, or even country, as Alex and Geddy, so it's not like he can just drop in on them to say hi. You are assuming way too much.

• Like 2

And some people are too far up their own ass to joke about a silly ass band and one member's peculiar character traits...and drinking problems.

Not saying you...just sayin'.

Peart is a free man to do as he pleases. I don't really give a fück if he plays again or not. I already have a lifetime of great music to enjoy from my favorite band of all time. Yet that does not mean I cannot clearly see that the man is...uh...peculiar and seems (seems, mind you) to have cut ties with band mates of 40 years. I find that odd and he got/gets to skate on doing any public appearances for the band that allowed him to live as he pleases. He pushes all of that off on Ged/Al. That rubs me the wrong way. I think Peart got his cake and ate it too...he wanted to be a good musician but that also comes at the price of fame and recognition...both of which he tries to reject and impugnes people who dare publicly acknowledge his astounding musicianship. A complex man yet childish also who feels the need to run around with a body guard which I find laughable and absurd. I admire greatly (which would embarrass him I'm sure) his skill as a drummer yet find him personally irritating...to wit I will crack needless jokes at his expense because he deserves it.

Carry on.

• Like 2