Alex says Rush Isn't Done

Ron2112

* waddles into kitchen * Hey honey!...Carrie!! My ice!! Hello! The donut!?!?! It won't jump into my mouth by itself!!

Sorry Snuggles I was on the phone with Geddy.

Who? Oh right...that other guy at work. * wincing * You didn't tell him I'm here did you? You know how I don't like human interaction. Makes me nervous and hungry. Social anxiety and all that.

Don't worry Luv Dumplin' I told him you were busy instructing Mosbach to chase down that man who looked at our yard as he drove by.

* relieved look...sips macallan * shew! For a minute there I thought I was going to have to...no! Let us not speak of it!

* ponders glass of macallan *...Mosbach?

That's It!

Rush WITH NEIL is done. Neil has made that abundantly clear. How Alex can suggest there'll be another Rush project while also admitting that he hasn't actually spoken to Neil in months kinda boggles the mind. Maybe that's partly why Neil got fed up, the other two guys making assumptions and speaking on his behalf. Unless they ARE actually considering getting another drummer (which I still don't believe would ever happen), it's time for them to get on with future projects and refer to Rush in the past tense.

I do not really care anymore... I do not really listen to Rush anymore. I haven't done so in months...

And besides, if they started touring again, I doubt they would come to Europe. They did not come here on their R40 Tour (Fuc.k you guys for not coming here!). In Europe Rush was done after the Clockwork Angels Tour.

No matter what they do now, they are a dead band....

I couldn't imagine not listening to Rush for months. I listen to them daily. Some days more than others. I understand about the touring though. I had multiple opportunities to see the R40 tour fairly close to home. You didn't have any.

So you haven't listened to Rush in months and consider them a dead band. You must be on TRF for the people!

• Like 2

I do not really care anymore... I do not really listen to Rush anymore. I haven't done so in months...

And besides, if they started touring again, I doubt they would come to Europe. They did not come here on their R40 Tour (Fuc.k you guys for not coming here!). In Europe Rush was done after the Clockwork Angels Tour.

lol

May I ask wtf you're doing in TRF then?

• Like 3

Just out of curiosity, do you think an album where Alex & Geddy write all the music, Neil writes all the lyrics, but another drummer plays the drums is a possibility? I mean that would make it so the songwriting would still be Lifeson/Lee/Peart and thereby from a songwriting perspective RUSH, without the undue hardship of drumming on Neil that he seems to feel is too much for him at his age. I wonder if that would be something that would please the 3 of them and fans alike.
  • Like 1

Rush WITH NEIL is done. Neil has made that abundantly clear. How Alex can suggest there'll be another Rush project while also admitting that he hasn't actually spoken to Neil in months kinda boggles the mind. Maybe that's partly why Neil got fed up, the other two guys making assumptions and speaking on his behalf. Unless they ARE actually considering getting another drummer (which I still don't believe would ever happen), it's time for them to get on with future projects and refer to Rush in the past tense.

What I think Neil made clear was the fact he was done touring. Not music as a whole. I've always said that being that creative isn't like a switch you can just flip off. I bet all of them are just overflowing with musical ideas related to their respective roles in Rush. Including Neil. With technology making the recording process so you don't even have to leave the house, and Alex's "new" attitude on releasing recorded music moving more towards "songs" instead of "albums", I think new Rush music is right up Neil's alley and can totally see it happening. After all, it's all any of them have ever known.

In 2008 when I met Alex, he told me in one of our conversations about music in general that he thought the album would become a thing of the past and bands would start to just release songs or EPs'. Then Caravan and BU2B was released as an EP long before CA came out. So the single song/EP concept is something that has probably been on the Rush radar for a while, and tested by them a long time ago. Doing a song or two every year or two is nothing like spending months at LeStudio being creative and recording an album. Now you can do it from home. Again, right up Neil's "want to be a family man" alley. They get to release their collaborative creative juices and be home for dinner while they're doing it. It would be more like music started out for them. A hobby. Not so much what it became. A job.

I really think there will eventually be new Rush music. Not so confident about new Rush concerts.

• Like 1

I love the idea and your optimism, JD. But WHY would they? There's so little money to do that and it takes a lot of effort. What I mean is, it's not like Neil's just going to show up and "play along" to a song for 12 minutes and call it a day. So why would he (they?) prepare and stretch so much for basically nothing?

I can't see them doing anything unless they decide to play live, which unfortunately seems a very unlikely thing right now.

Edited by upstateNYfan

lol

May I ask wtf you're doing in TRF then?

Because I am still a Rush fan. And I still love the music they have made. And I will listen to their music again in the future. I am just taking a long break right now...

I couldn't imagine not listening to Rush for months. I listen to them daily. Some days more than others. I understand about the touring though. I had multiple opportunities to see the R40 tour fairly close to home. You didn't have any.

So you haven't listened to Rush in months and consider them a dead band. You must be on TRF for the people!

I also used to listen to Rush daily, but then I took a break because I got a bit (ok, a lot) angry because they did not come to Europe on their R40 Tour, and then I have been listening to them less and less.

I love the idea and your optimism, JD. But WHY would they? There's so little money to do that and it takes a lot of effort. What I mean is, it's not like Neil's just going to show up and "play along" to a song for 12 minutes and call it a day. So why would he (they?) prepare and stretch so much for basically nothing?

I can't see them doing anything unless they decide to play live, which unfortunately seems a very unlikely thing right now.

I don't think it's a money thing. Not at all. We all know that none of them really need it. I think it is an instinctive need they have to be creative and make music. They are artists. Many true artists just feel the need to create. Like I said, it's all that all three of them have ever known. It's what they do.

As far as recording. Technology has made it so they don't have to be in the same room to create new music. They don't even have to be in the same country. All they need is a good broadband connection. Bands do it all the time now. Neil could create during the day and still pick Olivia up from school.

• Like 1

I also used to listen to Rush daily, but then I took a break because I got a bit (ok, a lot) angry because they did not come to Europe on their R40 Tour, and then I have been listening to them less and less.

I hate that for you. Like I said, I couldn't imagine. But I kind of understand. I am twice as old as you and have been with them since the beginning.

Edited by Mr. JD

Rush hasn't been to Japan (the country I reside) in over 30 years. The last time I saw them I flew to Toronto (2007). The only TRFers who flew further are the hardcore, dedicated Aussies on this board. But neither those dudes nor I have ever complained about having to see Rush all the way over in the Western Hemisphere. You should've bought a plane ticket instead of getting angry about them not visiting your country. Wasted anger and energy.

I don't listen to Rush daily anymore. Last time was a few weeks ago. But they're not dead to me. Their music is on my shelf just waiting to be listened to. I think I'll go listen now.

• Like 5

Without Neil...

One drummer who I think would be likely IF he could slide it into his schedule is the veteran (though not yet geezer) rock drummer Matt Cameron. Geddy and Alex respect him and vice versa. He's already worked with Geddy on My Favorite Headache + the hard rock background obviously helps. I'm not saying he's the best around but he might be the best FOR Geddy & Alex given the things I just stated.

I would be down with that.

Please please please, not Mike Portnoy.... I know he's an uber-fan and can play more subtly, but ... no.

Agreed..the personalities may not mesh.. Gavin Harrison would be my choice. (Under a name other than Rush)

• Like 1

What I think Neil made clear was the fact he was done touring. Not music as a whole. I've always said that being that creative isn't like a switch you can just flip off. I bet all of them are just overflowing with musical ideas related to their respective roles in Rush. Including Neil. With technology making the recording process so you don't even have to leave the house, and Alex's "new" attitude on releasing recorded music moving more towards "songs" instead of "albums", I think new Rush music is right up Neil's alley and can totally see it happening. After all, it's all any of them have ever known.

I get what you're saying about it being easier these days to record music without having to travel, but I really don't think that will influence whether Neil ends up creating more Rush material.

He has spoken about Clockwork Angels with a strong sense of satisfaction and finality. Like he's so proud of the album that he doesn't feel any need to try and top it (or perhaps even believe that he could). He also stated that the CA tour felt like the perfect stopping point and that he would've been plenty happy walking away then. He had to be arm twisted into doing R40.

People often try to predict Neil's behavior based on the behavior of other rock musicians, while forgetting just HOW different he is from other rock musicians. We know his feelings about "living in the limelight" and there is zero chance he's going to miss it the way others who've said farewell and then made comebacks did. I also believe he has climbed every musical Rush mountain that he cares to and won't miss the work involved in that either.

Lastly, I'd disagree with your summation that music is "all they've ever known". Neil has become established enough as a writer now that he could probably live comfortably off that for the rest of his life. That seems to be where his real passion and energy lies anyway at this point.

I'd love for you to be right and we do end up getting more Rush, but knowing our Neil like we do, I just don't see it happening.

Would love to see/hear a future Lee/Lifeson collaboration. I try to imagine where this would went lyrically. :smoke:

Maybe they dig out that old Alex lyric sheet with the song Time, where the lyrics were... Time blinds my eyes with light...

:clap:

@7:23

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjbvZJaxcbw

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

Lastly, I'd disagree with your summation that music is "all they've ever known". Neil has become established enough as a writer now that he could probably live comfortably off that for the rest of his life. That seems to be where his real passion and energy lies anyway at this point.

I wonder if Neil will ever write a book that would broaden his audience beyond that of Rush fans.

So far, his books seem to speak to those who are aware of him, which certainly helps with sales.

It would be interesting to see:

-if he could write something not having to do with or referencing the band

-if he could sell books on the strength of his writing alone (ie: using a pen name instead of NP)

-if he can get away from KJ Anderson, and write well-crafted if not meaningful fiction, or at least some travel writing that isn't self-referential (er, self-reverential?) and of interest to non-Rush fans.

Probably the closest he's come to the above would be the "Masked Rider", as there wasn't too much Rush talk, and he wasn't quoting himself as widely as he does in his later books. It's cool to quote another author once in a while, but quoting yourself is kind of lame.

NP can crap out books that will sell a reasonable amount of copies, which is what most authors hope for - an audience.

Too bad he's hampered by a stiff writing style. I just don't think he would cut it as a writer on his own, he needs the Rush brand more than he probably wants to admit!

My useless Canadian two cents anyway... :D

• Like 2

I feel your pain but I think 2/3 of the band wanted to go to Europe but the other 1/3 was physically beat and worn out... but ya it would've been nice to finish R40 right and do Europe after a little break..

Rush hasn't been to Japan (the country I reside) in over 30 years. The last time I saw them I flew to Toronto (2007). The only TRFers who flew further are the hardcore, dedicated Aussies on this board. But neither those dudes nor I have ever complained about having to see Rush all the way over in the Western Hemisphere. You should've bought a plane ticket instead of getting angry about them not visiting your country. Wasted anger and energy.

I don't listen to Rush daily anymore. Last time was a few weeks ago. But they're not dead to me. Their music is on my shelf just waiting to be listened to. I think I'll go listen now.

Not everybody is rich enough to pay for both the airplane ticket AND the concert ticket (and also hotel, I guess). Damn, I do not even afford the concert tickets alone. Every time a concert that I want to see is coming to my country, I have to beg my parents to pay for the tickets. Even tho I do not live with them anymore. Lucky, they (my dad) want to see most of the stuff I want to see as well (and some they are just nice to pay for because they want to make me happy).

So all concerts, except for one, my parents have paid for (the last Black Sabbath concert, I bought a ticket for me and my dad). But they did not want to pay for a Rush concert in USA, because they was as sure as I was that they would come to Europe as well, and when we understood that they would not come here, it was already to late...

Not everybody is rich enough to pay for both the airplane ticket AND the concert ticket (and also hotel, I guess). Damn, I do not even afford the concert tickets alone. Every time a concert that I want to see is coming to my country, I have to beg my parents to pay for the tickets. Even tho I do not live with them anymore. Lucky, they (my dad) want to see most of the stuff I want to see as well (and some they are just nice to pay for because they want to make me happy).

So all concerts, except for one, my parents have paid for (the last Black Sabbath concert, I bought a ticket for me and my dad). But they did not want to pay for a Rush concert in USA, because they was as sure as I was that they would come to Europe as well, and when we understood that they would not come here, it was already to late...

I'm not rich. I've never been rich. Not even close. I worked for all of my Rush tickets.

2007: yeah, I worked to pay for the flights, hotels, and tickets and all that. Stayed with a friend for part of that trip. Shared the room and split the hotel bill with a TRFer matter of fact.

1994: as a poor 21 year old university kid with a crappy part-time job. Drove a few hundred miles in a beat up old Sentra that could've easily broken down. And it did on the way back! Yeah, I bought that ticket and the shitty Sentra on my own too.

1992: as an even poorer 19 year old college kid bagging groceries as a part-time job. Drove to the nearest arena in my even shittier Mitsubishi that always broke down. Yeah, I bought that ticket and shitty car on my own too.

1990: as a 17 year old high school kid i climbed into that previously mentioned shitty Mitsubishi and drove to city's arena. Yeah i bought that ticket too. Same crappy supermarket part-time as I mentioned before.

1983: as a 10 year old 5th grader...okay I couldn't drive. I went with my older brothers but I STILL paid for half the ticket which was 5 or 6 bucks. That was a few allowances saved back then.

So no I'm not listening to you play that violin of not being able to afford it because you weren't rich. You're older than me in all of those situations except for the 2007 gigs. A 10 year old me could pay for half the ticket but you couldn't buy a single one?!! Your parents did?!! I wouldn't say you're not rich. I'd say you're spoiled.

:facepalm: Well that type of attitude will not help you're job prospects. BTW, should I be mad and listen to less Rush because they have never played in Alaska? :LOL:

I'm not rich. I've never been rich. Not even close. I worked for all of my Rush tickets.

1983: as a 10 year old 5th grader...okay I couldn't drive. I went with my older brothers but I STILL paid for half the ticket which was 5 or 6 bucks. That was a few allowances saved back then.

So no I'm not listening to you play that violin of not being able to afford it because you weren't rich. You're older than me in all of those situations except for the 2007 gigs. A 10 year old me could pay for half the ticket but you couldn't buy a single one?!! Your parents did?!! I wouldn't say you're not rich. I'd say you're spoiled.

The ticket prices was a lot cheaper back then in compare to today. And I am not spoiled! If I was spoiled, I would have been at one of the R40 Tour concerts :drool: ;)

:facepalm: Well that type of attitude will not help you're job prospects. BTW, should I be mad and listen to less Rush because they have never played in Alaska? :LOL:

Not that its any of your business, but I am actually on my way out now, to a store that have opened close to me to ask for a job!

The ticket prices was a lot cheaper back then in compare to today. And I am not spoiled! If I was spoiled, I would have been at one of the R40 Tour concerts :drool: ;)

You're saying it's harder for 27 year old you in 2017 to earn money for a concert ticket than a 10 year old kid in 1983?!! Pathetic.

Of course it was cheaper as it was 34 years ago. The wage was cheaper too. But I couldn't even get a wage......BECAUSE I WAS 10!!!!! :LOL:

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

Not that its any of your business, but I am actually on my way out now, to a store that have opened close to me to ask for a job!

Never said it was. You are the one complaining on here that money was a problem to go and see Rush at another location. Maybe if you hadn't wasted so much money on some stupid albums you could have. Don't blame the band. They can't play ever damn country in the world.

Edited by troutman
  • Like 1

For those of you that were unable to see Rush live (whatever the reason), condolences.

Rush live was better than you could have ever imagined.

As for R40? Well the Vegas show was Mind.Blowing.Epic.

• Like 1