Is Rush still your favorite band?

Fordgalaxy

Favorite or not?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. When did Rush stop being your favorite band?

• They were never my favorite
    • 1970's
    • 1980's
    • 1990's
    • 2000's
    • 2010's
    • They are still my favorite
    • How dare you even ask such a ridiculous and disgusting question?

I go through phases. When I first got into Rush in high school, they were the most amazing band I ever heard right neck and neck with my beloved Beatles to the point that my family and friends were sick of me talking about them like they were gods among men. Maybe more exciting in some ways since the Beatles were never really "hard rock" and certainly not metal or prog. Then I started to cool off a bit in college when I got into other bands. Then my interest started to falter more sometime after Vapor Trails and took a bigger hit after the self indulgent snooze fest called "Snakes and Arrows".

And lately I haven't been listening to them at all. But that doesn't mean I don't like them anymore, I just need a break from time to time with the things I enjoy the most but am overfamiliar with. I'll suddenly get the urge to pop in Hemispheres or Presto or watch Exit Stage Left DVD sometime again soon.

The Beatles will always be my favorite band, but Rush is definitely in the Top 5 at #4 (the others: #2, The Rolling Stones, #3- Foo Fighters and #5- Queen). My Dad was a big Rush fan when I was growing up, and I kind of inherited that from him. Their lyrics reflected the moments I've been going through personally in my life, and I never got over trying to duplicate Neil's drumming.

They're still #1 for me, though I haven't listened to them QUITE as often since R40 ended. There are four bands I consider to be "my favorites," and those are:

1. RUSH

2. Metallica

3. Queen

4. Green Day

I've seemed to notice over the past 10 years or so that I listen to bands a lot more when I'm either anticipating seeing them live, or if they have a new album out, and while RUSH is now essentially retired (at least by what info we have), my other three bands are all touring in 2017. I'll be making trips to Philly to see Metallica (May 12) and Queen + A.L. (July 30), and have already seen Green Day out in St. Paul a couple weeks ago and will again in August at Darien Lake, NY (about 2 hours from home sweet Syracuse). Also, both Metallica and Green Day released new albums late last year, both of which kick some serious posterior, so that's also responsible for my current Metallica/Green Day binge.

my other three bands are all touring in 2017. I'll be making trips to Philly to see Metallica (May 12) and Queen + A.L. (July 30)

I love Queen, but without Freddy and John (but especially Freddy) it's not really Queen, is it?!?! Well, not to me. It's all well and good that Brian & Roger want to go on and I even like the fact that they release something new (On-Air last year for example) from the vaults every year in November, but they really should just call themselves Smile, since that really is what we are seeing. I'm okay if Smile includes the Queen legacy and cover Freddy songs with Adam Lambert, but to call it "Queen" is just wrong and distasteful to me. I never got to see Queen, and I never will and that is okay with me. If someone gave me free tickets to Smile with Adam Lambert (a better name even!) I would happily go, but I would never tell anyone that I saw Queen live, because it would not be true.

Edited by diatribein
  • Like 1

I love Rush as much now as I ever have, maybe even more .. Over time, the songs only get better

But they've never been my favorite ..

This is actually pretty close to the way it always has been

http://www.thinlizzyguide.com/pictures/magazine_clips/750327_advert_kiss_mike_smith.jpg

Those old ads just blow me away.. imagine seeing Kiss, Rush and Lizzy.. in I'm guessing 1975 when they're all in their prime. For like six bucks!!!! And some people probably complained about the 50 cent drinks lol

Atm no, The Cure is my favorite band now forever n always, thou I still have a place in my heart for Rush, I am just more into 80's n 90's Punk, Post Punk, New Wave, Alt Rock, n Grunge music right now.

A pretty great place to be!

:ebert:

• Like 1

I still consider Rush to be my favorite band, but I tend to see myself listening to Dream Theater or Queensryche nowadays.
  • Like 1