Is Rush still your favorite band?

Fordgalaxy

Favorite or not?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. When did Rush stop being your favorite band?

• They were never my favorite
    • 1970's
    • 1980's
    • 1990's
    • 2000's
    • 2010's
    • They are still my favorite
    • How dare you even ask such a ridiculous and disgusting question?

Taste in many things change as we go through life, including music. What say ye?

They will be my number one until the day I die. Y&T is second.

Yup! I am fuckking weird!

One band has forty years of great music, the other has Summertime Girls.

• Like 3

they've been my favorite for the past 4 and a half years. i go through phases where im hooked on a certain band but rush is always my favorite.
  • Like 2

How dare you even ask such a ridiculous and disgusting question???

That was for the intense fanboys who believe (erroneously) that Rush can do no wrong. The people that say Rush has "written the soundtrack for my life". Those types.

Well no one is infallible not even El Papa as for the rest. GUILTY AS CHARGED!

:rush: is rock 'n roll and ROCK IS THE SOUNDTRACK OF MY LIFE...and a little jazz.

• Like 1

Queen have always been my favorite but Rush have been a closed second, but I am not sure anymore....

After R40 Tour ended, I have almost not listen to Rush at all. I have been listening to a lot of other stuff. I think they are still a top band for me, I just think I need a break from them.

Queen have always been my favorite but Rush have been a closed second, but I am not sure anymore....

After R40 Tour ended, I have almost not listen to Rush at all. I have been listening to a lot of other stuff. I think they are still a top band for me, I just think I need a break from them.

Queen are right up there with the all time great bands

This may be sacrilege to say but I don't think Rush are, cant explain why

Truly great band in the era since 1960 are :finbar:

The Beatles

Led Zeppelin

Beach Boys

The Who

Eagles

Van Halen

Genesis

Journey

BM & TW

Doobie Brothers

Steely Dan

Chas and Dave

I know that I am going to get so much flak for this but at the end of the day :finbar: :finbar:

A lot of Queen mentions here. I like them too but NOT close to :rush: a distant eight or nine.

You know who comes close??? Pre-drama Queesrÿche.

Now Geoff Tate makes wine and dresses like a hipster.

Queen

King Crimson

Black Sabbath

Led Zeppelin

Peter Gabriel

The Beatles

Rush

Lita Ford

Marillion

Pink Floyd

I know that I am going to get so much flak for this but at the end of the day :finbar: :finbar:

I removed some and added some other, now its a better list!

Taste in many things change as we go through life, including music. What say ye?

They will be my number one until the day I die. Y&T is second.

Yup! I am fuckking weird!

One band has forty years of great music, the other has Summertime Girls.

HAHAHA!

This is the reason why I will always have your back John and I do love you man!

Y&T was one of the heaviest hard rock bands in the world and their fuckking label A&M told them to go POP and MTV!

I FUCKKING HATE SUMMERTIME GIRLS!

Believe me.. Dave knows this!

You guys and gals think that I'm tame and vanilla white with rock stars?

I'm that same guy.

Yep!

Dave and I went at it many times over the years on his forum.

I only belonged to The Rush Forum, Y&T Forum and the A's Forum.

That was it.

Y&T Forum is gone.

Do you kids know that Dave and Jill closed the Forum down on my birthday? February 15th was it's last day in existence until they pulled the plug like four years ago.

Yep.

I'm that guy.

Coincidence? Hmmmm

It doesn't matter! I'm still good friends with all of the band.

It wasn't really them I went after, it was the lame kiss ass fans and many hated me on there for my own opinions and being real.

See a pattern?

Fukk it!

If I was such a douche bag Summer's Eve Bully Troll, 73 would have banned me ten years ago!

LOL!

RUSH THE FUKK ON!

A lot of Queen mentions here. I like them too but NOT close to :rush: a distant eight or nine.

You know who comes close??? Pre-drama Queesrÿche.

Now Geoff Tate makes wine and dresses like a hipster.

Geoff Taint kills my soul.

One of the greatest voices in the music industry and he turns into a sax suck playing arrogant fool.

I met him many times. Great guy.

But why is he such a jerk off now?

Rush was my first favourite band in the mid 70s and they held that position for at least a few years until some point after '78 when I first heard Genesis and then started exploring their back catalogue.

But Rush has stood the test of time, always a top 3 or top 4 band with me.

Edited by Northerner

Many will be nasty about my taste but Rush will never match the likes of Lacuna Coil, Nightwish or Paradise Lost for me.

But I love them and they opened my ears to a lot of new sounds!

• Like 1

The Beatles

Led Zeppelin

Beach Boys

The Who

Eagles

Van Halen

Genesis

Journey

BM & TW

Doobie Brothers

Steely Dan

Chas and Dave

:eh:

The Beach Boys, The Eagles, Journey, The Doobie Brothers, Chas & Dave...but not Rush?

:unsure:

To each his own, I guess! :huh:

How to explain this...

For myself, Rush sit 'outside' of all the other bands and music I enjoy.

I can go for ages without listening to them, but when I do I still get goosebumps and think "god damn that song kicked ass".

Couldn't have put it better myself :)

• Like 1

Subjectively speaking, Rush are in my top 5 bands, but if I want to look things objectively when it comes to the world of rock music, they are not in top 5 all-time greatest bands, but top 15 for sure. I think on a general list of all-time greatest rock bands Rush deserve to be at least 15th.

Rush are undeniably musically one of the most quality bands that ever existed. And their music has a big appeal on all people on this forum and a huge number of people outside this forum, but not on every rock fan.

Rush are a BIG band! They paved a good way for their deserved popularity among rock fans. They have a great quality, but it's not everything in the quality. In the world of rock Rush are an influential band, but far from the most influential, they are unique, but not very innovative, they don't have one of the biggest impacts in the history of rock, they are not one of the most important rock bands. But they are one of the most quality, instrumentally skilled, creative and painstaking bands and it's a very good reason why I think they deserve to be on the objective list of Top 15 all-time rock bands.

For example, The Beatles are not even in my top 15 personal fave bands, but looking at many aspects of rock music world they objectively.deserve to be in top 3 all-time greatest rock bands, I have to admit it.

Edited by Texas King
  • Like 1

Subjectively speaking, Rush are in my top 5 bands, but if I want to look things objectively when it comes to the world of rock music, they are not in top 5 all-time greatest bands, but top 15 for sure. I think on a general list of all-time greatest rock bands Rush deserve to be at least 15th.

Rush are undeniably musically one of the most quality bands that ever existed. And their music has a big appeal on all people on this forum and a huge number of people outside this forum, but not on every rock fan.

Rush are a BIG band! They paved a good way for their deserved popularity among rock fans. They have a great quality, but it's not everything in the quality. In the world of rock Rush are an influential band, but far from the most influential, they are unique, but not very innovative, they don't have one of the biggest impacts in the history of rock, they are not one of the most important rock bands. But they are one of the most quality, instrumentally skilled, creative and painstaking bands and it's a very good reason why I think they deserve to be on the objective list of Top 15 all-time rock bands.

For example, The Beatles are not even in my top 15 personal fave bands, but looking at many aspects of rock music world they objectively.deserve to be in top 3 all-time greatest rock bands, I have to admit it.

There is no objectivity when we're on this topic...unless you're talking about album sales or anything with clearly documented numbers

They very clearly are my favorite. Pretty much the only band in my "top tier" that rises above the others (but I love them all!):

Rush

Led Zeppelin

Porcupine Tree / Steven Wilson

Pink Floyd

Yes

King Crimson

my "Second tier" can be reasonably ordered:

King's X

TOOL

Genesis

Jethro Tull

Opeth

The Beatles

Alice in Chains

Peter Gabriel

Jimi Hendrix

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Van Halen

Marillion

The Doors

Grateful Dead

The Who

Kansas

Anathema

Dream Theater

This doesn't mean I listen to Rush all the time (or even very often anymore!) But I know every note they've played, I collect all sorts of Rush stuff, and have followed them for 35 years. They're the reason I'm a musician. They're the only thing I suppose anyone could say I'm fanatical about. Though at the same time, I can be critical of them - I just very much enjoy all of it; good and bad. It's all interesting.

Edited by cygnify