whatever happened to Larry Allen?

dvdtrades

i have often been curious of what happened to him, Neil's drum tech from i think the 70s right through test for echo. i remember hearing years ago he was fired in favor of lorne. does anyone know what may have prompted this change away from a very long-term position?

►Larry Allen

Larry Allen gave away the Ludwig Super Classic Counterparts kit to his family and friends.

When the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame wanted one of Neil's drum kits, Lorne had to call everyone who had pieces of it. Eventually, he got everything back and put it together. This drum kit is off in Quebec now—not in the Hall of Fame.

Larry Allen, Neil's drum tech for the first 22 years, was "blowing Neil's head off" every night with the monitors. "It was brutal."

Didn't one of them have a major drug issue.

I think it was the 10" tom. :syrinx:

Edited by Gompers
  • Like 6

When did he allegedly give it the Counterparts kit away? He was still with the band during TFE, so his departure was obviously after that.

No idea what happened, but I am guessing that after 22 years something serious likely would have occurred. Or maybe he just needed work - there was nothing for about 4 years. But I haven't heard anything about him since TFE.

When did he allegedly give it the Counterparts kit away? He was still with the band during TFE, so his departure was obviously after that.

No idea what happened, but I am guessing that after 22 years something serious likely would have occurred. Or maybe he just needed work - there was nothing for about 4 years. But I haven't heard anything about him since TFE.

I told you why. I'm not in the habit of giving out false information.

:huh:

►Larry Allen

Larry Allen gave away the Ludwig Super Classic Counterparts kit to his family and friends.

When the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame wanted one of Neil's drum kits, Lorne had to call everyone who had pieces of it. Eventually, he got everything back and put it together. This drum kit is off in Quebec now—not in the Hall of Fame.

Larry Allen, Neil's drum tech for the first 22 years, was "blowing Neil's head off" every night with the monitors. "It was brutal."

Read somewhere (maybe here?) there was a drug issue.

I believe it was a different member of the road crew that had the drug issue. I think this is alluded to in the "Ghost Rider" book.

I never heard about Larry giving away the drums (he was indeed gone on the TFE tour!) but I know he gave me a pair of sticks off of Neil's set during the Cp tour!

• Like 1

I believe it was a different member of the road crew that had the drug issue. I think this is alluded to in the "Ghost Rider" book.

I never heard about Larry giving away the drums (he was indeed gone on the TFE tour!) but I know he gave me a pair of sticks off of Neil's set during the Cp tour!

larry was neil's tech on T4E, there's a quick mention of him and a shot of him on the work in progress video

larry was neil's tech on T4E, there's a quick mention of him and a shot of him on the work in progress video

You are correct! I got confused because Lorne also did work for the band on the TFE tour - but as a carpenter. I wonder when Larry sold/gave away the Cp kit then.... after TFE?

Think I got my roadies confused then. Probably due for a Ghost Rider reread too, but it makes me sad.

You are correct! I got confused because Lorne also did work for the band on the TFE tour - but as a carpenter. I wonder when Larry sold/gave away the Cp kit then.... after TFE?

i suspect during neil's down times, after the '97 tour, as he was fired before going into the studio for vapor trails from what i recall

So 5 years later. . . . I can't speak to anything about the nature or character of Larry Allen - BUT - he did give a cracked splash cymbal to a friend of mine who was on the arena security staff.  It was at the Salt Palace show in Salt Lake City Utah - May 1986.  He (security guy buddy) asked about the cymbal when it was tossed aside after the show and Larry just picked it up and handed it to him and said, "enjoy"!  I got it about a week later.  I was pretty young and wanted to add it to my kit - I could play the same hardware my hero was!  So like a fool I drilled the crack and played away .  Years later I wish I had not done that but alas.

Tom P.

• Like 4

It's a damn shame that there was a parting, whatever the circumstances, because Allen was clearly the superior tech.  I can't imagine he would have let the atrocity that was the R40 second set kit go through the PA sounding like it did...

• Like 2