Which Format Do You Prefer?

Steve Smith

People woefully exaggerate the greatness of vinyl.

Well not really Segue it is just that a lot of people here are old farts like me who have nostalgia for their youth!!!

We are not all young like you young man!! :drool: :drool:

One day when you are my age you will feel the same. "Oh I remember when we had digital downloads and MP3's in the good old days, these kids now with their new fangled things know nothing"

Ha ha :drool: :drool:

I don't even think that now.

I just enjoy music in whatever format is most convenient for me at that moment.

• Like 2

People woefully exaggerate the greatness of vinyl.

Well not really Segue it is just that a lot of people here are old farts like me who have nostalgia for their youth!!!

We are not all young like you young man!! :drool: :drool:

One day when you are my age you will feel the same. "Oh I remember when we had digital downloads and MP3's in the good old days, these kids now with their new fangled things know nothing"

Ha ha :drool: :drool:

I don't even think that now.

I just enjoy music in whatever format is most convenient for me at that moment.

Yeah fair comment Segue

I have different set-ups in my house.

Living room: PC connected to a Yamaha AX-497 amp, Bose Acoustimass 5 Series II (2 satellite speakers and a woofer). I have over 5,000 albums stored on external drives and I would say that 99% of the files are lossless.

Man Cave: PC and Dual turntable (1978) connected to a Yamaha amp (early 80's), Bose Acoustimass 3 (2 satellite speakers and a woofer), 2x 3-way Clarion standalone speakers and 2x 2-way monitor speakers.

2 other amps I have (Fisher Studio Standard from the early 80's and a Technics monster from the 70's) need some minor repairs and I hope that I can find the time to get this done this year.

Enough stuff to rock the house. My neighbours can tell a thing or two about it. :haz:

Oh, and out in the woods I use my Sony 16GB Walkman.

• Like 2

CDs at home, MP3s when out somewhere.

Some people got the wrong idea when it comes to the mp3. It's never been about sound quality with that format, so you shouldn't judge it based on that. It's about the convenience of having all or almost all of your music collection right there with you at all times. When you get in the mood for a certain band/song just start playing it with no problem. That's what the format is all about. Put the stuff on your phone, ipod or whatever portable device you've got and there you go. Your whole music collection right there for you whenever you want it.

Some people got the wrong idea when it comes to the mp3. It's never been about sound quality with that format, so you shouldn't judge it based on that. It's about the convenience of having all or almost all of your music collection right there with you at all times. When you get in the mood for a certain band/song just start playing it with no problem. That's what the format is all about. Put the stuff on your phone, ipod or whatever portable device you've got and there you go. Your whole music collection right there for you whenever you want it.

Yeah and it never sounds like the original release. So you have a circumcised version of your collection there. :AlienSmiley:

• Like 1

For aesthetics, the LP is king, for sure. Nothing like listening to an album beginning to end while holding the cover and reading the liner.

For convenience, MP3 is incredible. It's so easy to take music with you today. And the free access (via YouTube, etc.) to virtually every song or performance ever recorded - on demand - is an enthusiast's dream.

I've found a couple of YouTube channels just in the past few days that have dozens of old (and fairly obscure) blues/psych/freaky rock n' roll albums, full albums...I've got months of digesting them ahead of me.

That's in addition to several actual new albums on the scene just in the past month or so, and coming up in the next week, month, couple of months...

:7up:

Yeah and it never sounds like the original release. So you have a circumcised version of your collection there. :AlienSmiley:

True, but at least you have your music with you and can listen to something if you feel like it. Radio isn't the best sound quality either but it's never stopped anyone from listening to that to get their music fix when it's the only way to do it. An mp3 player is your own personal radio station.

To me it's never mattered how someone listens to their music just as long as they have some sort of way to hear it. You could play some old crappy dubbed cassette from 1987 for all I care. If you're listening to something you like, that's all that matters.

• Like 1

True, but at least you have your music with you and can listen to something if you feel like it. Radio isn't the best sound quality either but it's never stopped anyone from listening to that to get their music fix when it's the only way to do it. An mp3 player is your own personal radio station.

To me it's never mattered how someone listens to their music just as long as they have some sort of way to hear it. You could play some old crappy dubbed cassette from 1987 for all I care. If you're listening to something you like, that's all that matters.

Don't get me wrong on that, I really love music in all its colours and forms. I just can't stand mp3 or other lossy formats. It just sounds weird to my ears if I compare lossy files with lossless, or original releases, and it is, by far, not what any musician has intended, in the first place. If I would release a song, I would like people to listen to that song, just the same way I heard it in the studio. Best possible quality. I love the idea of taking my collection with me wherever I go, but I always have that feeling that it doesn't sound right. But that's just me.

• Like 2

I have different set-ups in my house.

Living room: PC connected to a Yamaha AX-497 amp, Bose Acoustimass 5 Series II (2 satellite speakers and a woofer). I have over 5,000 albums stored on external drives and I would say that 99% of the files are lossless.

Man Cave: PC and Dual turntable (1978) connected to a Yamaha amp (early 80's), Bose Acoustimass 3 (2 satellite speakers and a woofer), 2x 3-way Clarion standalone speakers and 2x 2-way monitor speakers.

2 other amps I have (Fisher Studio Standard from the early 80's and a Technics monster from the 70's) need some minor repairs and I hope that I can find the time to get this done this year.

Enough stuff to rock the house. My neighbours can tell a thing or two about it. :haz:

Oh, and out in the woods I use my Sony 16GB Walkman.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w276/custom55/1618506_10151980165419615_724053484_n_zps6d003a99.jpg

• Like 4

Who remembers these ? :codger: I would play "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" and "( I Can't Get No )Satisfaction" 45's on this. You could stack the 45's too !

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w276/custom55/ba542a08af560ccc785da69ae785bff5_zps735zbshd.jpg

• Like 2

Why would I need my music collection with me at all times? Especially if it will sound like crap. I'd much rather wait to hear music the way it was intended to be heard.

That said I'll listen to Internet radio if I'm on the computer away from my stereo but it's not nearly as enjoyable for me to hear it that way. I would never want to get used to that.

But many people do. I'm just not one of them.

• Like 1

I prefer high quality sound whenever possible but I am not obsessive about it. I primarily buy CD's and rip to at least 320mbps or FLAC. I have a decent hifi system and a modest LP collection. I have I have no clue how many hundreds of CD's I have but only about 30-40 vinyls so far. I love to listen to them but to be honest CD's are easier and less costly. I have also bought HD downloads which I listen to from my computer. Oh and for Zumbi, yes I have an external DAC (Fiio E17) to use with my computer and I use headphones (Sennheiser HD700's or occasionally I will switch back to my HD650's).

Sounds like a sweet set-up, especially those HD700's. I actually like those better than the HD800's but I haven't heard the 800S version.

Thanks! Yeah I think I am sticking with the 700s. I would love to invest in the HD800S but I would have to upgrade my amp to make them sing I think, although I have heard they aren't nearly as picky as the HD800.

Edited by catherine

My friend back in the day had a reel to reel set up. That was really something

I still have a Tascam TSR-8 in my home studio. I got it when the music college I attended in the 1990's upgraded all of their kit and sold of the legacy stuff cheap. Paid 200 quid for it. Uses 1/2 inch tape reels which are hard to source now and I generally use an Alesis A-DAT (Equally prehistoric - uses Super VHS video tapes) but I just love all of the analogue kit. If you know what you are doing and are prepared to spend the time then you can get a much nicer end product than the awful "Dynamically squashed and tonally squashed" Protools shit that is marketed for home recording these days.

:drool: :drool: :finbar: :finbar: :finbar: :finbar: :finbar:

• Like 1

Vinyl is a real treat. Selling England By The Pound has always been one of my favorite Genesis albums but hearing it on vinyl threw me for a loop. It felt more dynamic and it gave me a whole new perspective on it. Every member stood out listening to vinyl rather than CD. It's a whole different experience!
  • Like 2

I prefer the Catherine format. :sundog:

http://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/52/a0/ec/52a0ec95849166876bd35227227daec9.jpg

http://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/33/d4/2c/33d42c1ea144aa2ab9d53addc313b80a.jpg

You'll have to explain this one JB! :16ton:

http://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/52/a0/ec/52a0ec95849166876bd35227227daec9.jpg

http://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/33/d4/2c/33d42c1ea144aa2ab9d53addc313b80a.jpg

You're smart. You'll get it. If not by your next post then I'll give you a hint. :yes:

You're smart. You'll get it. If not by your next post then I'll give you a hint. :yes:

I must be a bit dense today I'm not getting it! :LOL:

• Like 1

first names

first names

Matt Ric?

first names

Matt Ric?

You're closer than when you started.

2nd hint: this thread topic