The boys are now a little richer...

Thunder Bay Rush

A friend of mine was showing this site - net worth .com where they have the net worths of celebs.... NO IDEA how the hell they know this private info but - until recently they had both Geddy and Alex at 28 million and Neil at 22 million. A recent update now has Geddy at 40, Al at 35 and Neil at 42 million. Did the sale of Anthem stock or catalogue have something to do with this I wonder???

Maybe they're worth more retired than active.

Possibly.

Touring does cost a lot of money. Now that they're not doing that anymore they can just sit on their cash and watch it pile up. I do think selling their song catalog did help. There might also be some successful business ventures they've gotten into that we aren't aware of.

Did Alex waste a lot of money? I like how Neil made it sound like he was almost broke in ghost rider while he's worth millions. He could ride his motorcycle and stay in hotels for the rest of his life and not spend all that money.

Did Alex waste a lot of money? I like how Neil made it sound like he was almost broke in ghost rider while he's worth millions. He could ride his motorcycle and stay in hotels for the rest of his life and not spend all that money.

He's an LA snob nowadays so he needs enough for expensive trinkets like rare paintings and crazy priced wine and designer furniture. He's keeping up with the Beverly Hills Jones...

• Like 1

He's an LA snob nowadays so he needs enough for expensive trinkets like rare paintings and crazy priced wine and designer furniture. He's keeping up with the Beverly Hills Jones...

Also add California taxes, the appetite of Sacramento is ravenous.

• Like 1

Rush's popularity and growth really took off after Ghost Rider. I'd guess most of their money came after 2002 with all those tours, DVD's, movie appearances, etc so Neil may have been struggling at the time he wrote that. He probably blew a lot of his money on coke

Not really - he said he was living beyond his means and didn't know if he could retire. Huge difference, and all things are relative. He also, I believe, used the phrase, "the principal to spend", which had a double meaning. Amazingly candid actually.

(And those websites are likely incredibly rough estimates; one can simply type in any famous name. They're guesses. Yes, I am sure the catalog and the big tours over 15 years really helped. They're not hurting but live very well. Touring can be used to pay for the lifestyle without touching assets most likely.)

Edited by upstateNYfan

Net worth can include their physical possessions which are not spendable cash. Geddy has A LOT of wine that may be worth a fair amount. He'll not be able to drink it all before he dies so he better have a lot of parties. Al owns the Orbit Club and part of a golf course. Neil should be getting some income from some of his books.

Rush's popularity and growth really took off after Ghost Rider. I'd guess most of their money came after 2002 with all those tours, DVD's, movie appearances, etc so Neil may have been struggling at the time he wrote that. He probably blew a lot of his money on coke

You think Rush has been more popular since 2000 than in the 70s or 80s? I have to disagree.

A friend of mine was showing this site - net worth .com where they have the net worths of celebs.... NO IDEA how the hell they know this private info but - until recently they had both Geddy and Alex at 28 million and Neil at 22 million. A recent update now has Geddy at 40, Al at 35 and Neil at 42 million. Did the sale of Anthem stock or catalogue have something to do with this I wonder???

Anything over a couple of mill is superfluous. I only want enough money to not have to work and have a decent life for the rest of my days

• Like 1

Anything over a couple of mill is superfluous. I only want enough money to not have to work and have a decent life for the rest of my days

Peart has ciggies and liquor to purchase on a daily basis. That stuff isn't cheap.

You think Rush has been more popular since 2000 than in the 70s or 80s? I have to disagree.

I definitely think so. Rush took off the last 10 years. I'm referring more to the mainstream. 70's and 80's they were still very much a cult band that had their fan base but outside of that had little impact.

I definitely think so. Rush took off the last 10 years. I'm referring more to the mainstream. 70's and 80's they were still very much a cult band that had their fan base but outside of that had little impact.

The only time a rush song was near the top of the charts was in the 80sand their biggest album was in the 80s. They're not bigger now, they just have fans in a position to get them into movies and on tv.

• Like 2

Didn't they experience a significant windfall when Ole bought their catalogue?

Yes, but I believe this also relieved them of future publishing $.

According to the court documents filed by Rush during the Alex ordeal (the counter-suit against the Naples PD), most of Rush's income was from touring. The documents did outline a small recording budget (this probably didn't document monies paid for the producer, studio, etc.) but I think this is all re-couped (that is, the label fronts the money for recording but is paid back from sales. seeing as sales are relatively low these days). What I found most interesting about these documents regarding touring was that the formula for Alex, Geddy, and Neil's income was fairly simple. Once they accounted for all costs, crew, per diems, transportation, lodging, insurance, management fees, etc. Dirk, Lerxst, and Pratt each take in 1/6 of the gross for the show (tickets and Merch). Doing the math, assuming 10k tickets sold with average price of $100, assuming another $200k gross in Merch (shirts and tourbooks are expensive! lol) that's $1.2M gross per show; meaning Al, Ged, Neil each make $200k per show. R40 was 35 shows - that's 7 million each. Snakes and Arrows has 114 shows - that's $22.8 Million a piece.

FYI, these were all public documents resulting from that court case - it is possible they were exaggerated to show greater loss to Rush (the case was that the Naples PD caused Rush to re-plan recording an album and shorten their tour; what would become Feedback and R30 tour.) However, the numbers were somewhat detailed and consistent with what I have seen publicly disclosed from other comparable bands.

• Like 2

Didn't they experience a significant windfall when Ole bought their catalogue?

Yes, but I believe this also relieved them of future publishing $.

According to the court documents filed by Rush during the Alex ordeal (the counter-suit against the Naples PD), most of Rush's income was from touring. The documents did outline a small recording budget (this probably didn't document monies paid for the producer, studio, etc.) but I think this is all re-couped (that is, the label fronts the money for recording but is paid back from sales. seeing as sales are relatively low these days). What I found most interesting about these documents regarding touring was that the formula for Alex, Geddy, and Neil's income was fairly simple. Once they accounted for all costs, crew, per diems, transportation, lodging, insurance, management fees, etc. Dirk, Lerxst, and Pratt each take in 1/6 of the gross for the show (tickets and Merch). Doing the math, assuming 10k tickets sold with average price of $100, assuming another $200k gross in Merch (shirts and tourbooks are expensive! lol) that's $1.2M gross per show; meaning Al, Ged, Neil each make $200k per show. R40 was 35 shows - that's 7 million each. Snakes and Arrows has 114 shows - that's $22.8 Million a piece.

FYI, these were all public documents resulting from that court case - it is possible they were exaggerated to show greater loss to Rush (the case was that the Naples PD caused Rush to re-plan recording an album and shorten their tour; what would become Feedback and R30 tour.) However, the numbers were somewhat detailed and consistent with what I have seen publicly disclosed from other comparable bands.

Quite interesting information. I had an idea about a band's expenses and all and everyone they need to pay.

What I didn't know was how much all the three had for themselves.

It's true the band lives on money made in concerts, mostly. Many bands do.

Also think it's great that they agreed to split everything equally 3 ways from day 1 and that never changed or became a point of contention (as far as we know). That's amazing for rock musician and speaks to their total lack of ego. Imagine Roger Waters agreeing to that

I seriously doubt they have a "lack of ego". It's just that they don't seem as egotistical as many other rock musicians.

They're rich rock stars looked up to by many of their peers and adored by millions of fans. Of course they're going to have SOME kind of ego.

• Like 1