Star Trek Discovery is a Dumpster Fire

JohnRogers

I'm not a fan of prequels though I admit Enterprise grew on me although I hated it to begin with. Trying to squeeze a new story into the existing canon is a recipe for disaster and a head honcho who doesn't know the canon is worse. Kill it now.

Enterprise started to be good when it wrote stories within the established canon/timeline.

I watched the Discovery trailer and it looks and feels wrong.

It looks really good

More trailer footage. While I'm excited for more Star Trek this doesn't feel right as a prequel to TOS.

http://youtu.be/PjPVdbsG4bY

Seems really dark and awfully slick to be pre-Kirk. I don't know why they feel the need to make so many space movies all feel the same. This reminds me of an episode of Battlestar Galactica.

Edited by EagleMoon

I am a huge fan of Trek, and for the the most important thing to retain is the overall lens through which the show told its stories. A view of our world from the vantage of a future where we have improved upon our current failings. To me that is Trek, and if it can retain that I will watch.

Now, I'll have a couple of quibbles.

I don't want the show going back in time. I don't understand why they would bother. It always messes with canon unnecessarily, when moving into the future can do so much more without touching canon.

Keep the Klingons as they looked in TNG etc. It's just too iconic. People learn the language in real life and the majority of people who know Trek, even people who well remember a time before TNG, think of the same thing when the word Klingon comes up. I don't see this as a 'fresh new look' as much as I see it as the creators wanting to be able to claim ownership. It's a bad idea to update the look so drastically, and its unnecessary to incite anger in the base. If they're worried that old Klingons will keep new fans away, just don't feature them much.

But honestly, if they keep the spirit of Trek alive, something the new movies (and honestly some of the old ones) never did, I will become a massive fan. I already like the actors a lot. The much bigger question for me is will this be Star Trek, or action movie in space? Both can be good, but I'll be wanting Star Trek.

• Like 1

Watching the trailer gives me mixed feelings.

I just find the action movie direction of Trek to be tedious and typical, and this looks like it might be that. However, it's possible they want to lure in the people who want killing bad guys to be the driving focus but are probably going to actually have more story and character development. I think the trailer is about trying to sell the show as an action packed adventure when it's really better than that. Hoping that the writing will keep the people who want the special effects and thrills and that the people who want the writing will be happy that the writing is augmented by special effects and thrills. I honestly think this will be a blend.

But it also looks like they won't attempt the weekly singular stories that I thought defined Trek. Sometimes there were longer stories, but there were always singular episodes that told a story that could stand alone. That's what I want, and I don't think I'll get that. That will bug me quite a bit, but write it well and I'll watch. Star Trek was always a mirror for us, though. Lose that and it won't be Trek.

Watching the trailer gives me mixed feelings...looks like they won't attempt the weekly singular stories that I thought defined Trek. Sometimes there were longer stories, but there were always singular episodes that told a story that could stand alone. That's what I want, and I don't think I'll get that.

I believe early interviews addressed that the series will be more serial in execution.

I Think putting the klingons at war with the universe is the best thing for anything star trek related to do.like the usa vs russia. is,they aint ever gonna get along well.i think this series will do well.all the other star trek series have.i wonder if this will just on cbs all access? a lot of older ST fans probably have no other way to see it but on regular tv.

I Think putting the klingons at war with the universe is the best thing for anything star trek related to do.like the usa vs russia. is,they aint ever gonna get along well.i think this series will do well.all the other star trek series have.i wonder if this will just on cbs all access? a lot of older ST fans probably have no other way to see it but on regular tv.

The first episode will be "over the air" on CBS, the rest will be broadcast on the CBS streaming service.

The first episode will be "over the air" on CBS, the rest will be broadcast on the CBS streaming service.

I dont see how it can survive with out them syndicating it out like all the other series did. i am not sure if enterprise was,but all the rest were.

I dont see how it can survive with out them syndicating it out like all the other series did. i am not sure if enterprise was,but all the rest were.

Everything I'm hearing is that Ship Wreck Discovery won't last beyond 13 episodes.

Well...

...I think they just killed Star Trek.

It was a mixed bag but I admit I signed tonight up for CBS All Access to catch part two. That is a number CBS will be watching. The previews for the rest of the season seem a mixed bag.

The look aside from the phaser side arm is still all wrong.

Straight out of the gate, the dialogue was overly expositional, with the characters spending more time dumbly spelling out exactly what they're doing, than saying anything meaningful. Why would a first officer be telling the captain what they're doing on a routine mission? Hell, why would the first officer and captain be on this routine mission, alone together, in the first place? Does the captain not know what they beamed down to this planet to do? They obviously didn't trust the audience to pay attention for themselves two minutes into the premier... It was an immediate signal of the hackneyed writing that filled the entire two hours.

The pacing of the show was awful too, tying into the complaint of expositional dialogue. The action would come in sporadic, bombastic bursts; with ships firing disruptor beams in a panicked frey suddenly stopping altogether so that a couple of characters could drop what they're doing to explain the plot to the audience again, with the nuance and subtlety of a frenzied giraffe.

Aside from maybe Captain Georgiou, the characters were totally unsympathetic and unrelatable. Their motivations were irrational, more aimed at amping up action than serving the soul of the series. The jump from argument to mutiny was done with all the thoughtfulness of a prison rioter, not a Starfleet office raised with the Vulcan philosophy. Let's set aside the very premise of "The Vulcan Hello", which is such a blatant disregard for the characterization of the peaceful and logical Vulcans that we've spend a half-century getting to know.

That disregard for canon is pervasive too. If you're not going to take advanatage of rich tapestry of canon that Star Trek brings for you to work with, why even make a Star Trek show? Klingons do not care to collect their dead, and this has been a well defined, thoroughly explained trait for them. Here, they throw out that trait, so that they can "Chekov's Gun" a warhead onto their ship in the episode's climax. They couldn't find a more creative way to do it? One that doesn't hold up the abandonment of canon with an almost sadistic betrayal of knowlegable fans? These gleeful little stabs at the core Star Trek community seemed quite intentional, an arrogance that will backfire on this production.

But beyond those finer details of canon, there's the more important "heart and soul" of Star Trek's style. The notion that you win by being better, that you succeed by exemplifying good- not by being devious, cynical and aggressive. Here, those notions are thrown out in favor of more conflict and drama. Even to the last moment of the show, with Burnham facing a shadowy, ominious court martial (not a well lit, transparent, fair and effective system of justice) and getting a LIFE SENTENCE for her failed attempt at mutiny?! I was expecting a demotion and maybe 30 days... but a life sentence for actions that ended up having no impact anyways!? When the HELL did Starfleet turn into such a draconian and unforgiving regime?!

Every note was a failure. Every step was a misstep. This disappointment, this hellish subversion of everything 'Trek' is such a tragic disservice to an art that has beautifully served generations prior. This makes the J.J. Abrams reboots look loyal to canon, makes the worst of Enterprise or Voyager look like masterpieces, and makes the best of TOS and TNG seem like a fading, forgotten dream.

Zero Stars. CBS can go fly a kite with a hole in it.

Edited by KenJennings