Geddy in California!

greyfriar

Yeh ok point taken, I am rambling ha ha ha

Well OK, it was a shame about Rutsey, he was a good drummer and I believe (correct me if I am wrong) that he wrote most of the lyric on the first album.

Did Mrs JB beat you at Pontoon? (Blackjack)

XXX

I thought the lyrics story was this:

Rutsey was supposed to write the lyrics but he slacked so Geddy quickly wrote what we ended up with.

Mrs. B won the first two hands then I won eight in a row. :LOL:

Perhaps it was "woman's intuition". She wanted something so she let your macho male pride win XXXXX

:LOL:

Not really. I don't care about winning those games. I just enjoy doing stuff with her.

Well in a marriage that is a cool way to be JB, I envy what you have my friend XXXX

• Like 1

Seems he's having some fun and Scully is with him. Now let the tour rumours start again...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L82ARErk5LQ

More proof of life, thanks.

You do know we all read RIAB?

We do? ;)

I don't.

Neither do I.

Me neither.

Yeah I don't either. Only time I ever go over there is if there's a link for something.

The only time I ever visited the page was on the first few dates of a tour since they always had live set updates. Other than that, never bother with it. I come here everyday. If news breaks someone will post it.

...eventually.

At this point only thing I'm interested in is news of a new album, which is very doubtful. Seems like the only thing we've been hearing is about how many vintage basses Geddy is getting.

He's a collector of things we know that but I guess he could be toying with the idea of a solo album

I just think it's funny that he was known for playing mainly two instruments (not counting the Wal or the Steinberger etc.)his entire career and then he retires and buys dozens more.

EDIT: It would be great if he did a solo album. I would just like to hear something new from him period.

I'm just genuinely happy for the guy (Alex and Neil too.) if he makes a solo album collaborates with his mates or others or not. He's just enjoying his life.

I've been totally ambivalent and totally satisfied since 2013. Still very interested in what they might be up to due to their lasting impact but that's just me.

One of the things I did like about the R40 tour was that he was sharing his basses with us. I'm glad he's found another hobby. though.

Yeah same here. I'm happy for him. I'm also content if we get no other music from them. I can't think of any other band that has lasted so long with all the original members.

Many bands have lasted with their original members longer than Rush did with theirs. Rush only lasted one album. :)

But John Rutsey was ill. They did not sack him

But Alex has smoked most of his life. And he wasn't even born in Ontario.

Pete Best was sacked because he got all of the girls and Lennon did not get on with him, replaced by Ringo who was John's mate but a much inferior drummer

Incorrect. While he never fit in well with the others, he was not a better drummer than Ringo. George Martin had no idea about their personal chemistry at their audition. He just thought he sucked and said they'd need to replace him. Although at first he was unsure of Ringo's ability as well, by the second session he knew he was technically fine.

It had nothing to do with pussy.

• Like 1

Pete Best was sacked because he got all of the girls and Lennon did not get on with him, replaced by Ringo who was John's mate but a much inferior drummer

Incorrect. While he never fit in well with the others, he was not a better drummer than Ringo. George Martin had no idea about their personal chemistry at their audition. He just thought he sucked and said they'd need to replace him. Although at first he was unsure of Ringo's ability as well, by the second session he knew he was technically fine.

It had nothing to do with pussy.

OK maybe, I don't know, I accept what you say. But I do know that GM got a session man in for their first demo's and Ringo was demoted to tambourine.

Ringo did play some lovely tasteful stuff on "Here Comes the Sun" though

https://youtu.be/bgiQD56eWDk

Steve ;) :P :D :cool:

But I do know that GM got a session man in for their first demo's and Ringo was demoted to tambourine.

It was actually the first single Love Me Do. Andy White, the Glaswegian Beatle, just died a few months back :(

To be fair to Ringo, George Martin had organised the session ignorant of the news Pete Best had been replaced.

So Rutsey was supposed to write the lyrics for the album, flaked on it, and Geddy stepped in at the last minute? Thats's interesting. I had never heard that. Has it been confirmed by someone in an interview? Did Rutsey write ANY of the songs that made it to the album?

Geddy is a freak. He can do it all. I think the lyrics are great on that album. Definitely less complex than what Rush became, but that album really reminds me of the Zeppelin sound and I've always appreciated most of the lyrics.

• Like 1

So Rutsey was supposed to write the lyrics for the album, flaked on it, and Geddy stepped in at the last minute? Thats's interesting. I had never heard that. Has it been confirmed by someone in an interview? Did Rutsey write ANY of the songs that made it to the album?

Geddy is a freak. He can do it all. I think the lyrics are great on that album. Definitely less complex than what Rush became, but that album really reminds me of the Zeppelin sound and I've always appreciated most of the lyrics.

If Rutsey did write any he certainly got no credit. I read about him ripping up the lyrics YEARS ago, might have been in the Visions biography.

Alex got credit for Here Again, but apart from that Geddy was making most of them up on the hoof. Which certainly explains Take A Friend...

If Rutsey did write any he certainly got no credit. I read about him ripping up the lyrics YEARS ago, might have been in the Visions biography.

Alex got credit for Here Again, but apart from that Geddy was making most of them up on the hoof. Which certainly explains Take A Friend...

Can't remember where I read it but yeah Rutsey floundered on the lyrics which led to Geddy writing them very quickly.

It's been documented somewhere too that In The Mood was completely a Geddy song written when he was 18. [Read as: written 3 years BEFORE the debut album].

• Like 1

So Rutsey was supposed to write the lyrics for the album, flaked on it, and Geddy stepped in at the last minute? Thats's interesting. I had never heard that. Has it been confirmed by someone in an interview?

If memory serves, the above information comes from a direct quote from Geddy.

I've heard that as well but it makes me wonder, what the hell was he singing when they played them live before they were recorded? The songs weren't written on the spot, why were the lyrics.

Yeah, I'm sure the words Geddy had been singing live before those songs were tracked were similar to the ones he sang when they were recorded. It may be that John had said he'd get them down on paper so that Geddy wouldn't have to ad-lib in the studio.

I've heard that as well but it makes me wonder, what the hell was he singing when they played them live before they were recorded? The songs weren't written on the spot, why were the lyrics.

Yeah, I'm sure the words Geddy had been singing live before those songs were tracked were similar to the ones he sang when they were recorded. It may be that John had said he'd get them down on paper so that Geddy wouldn't have to ad-lib in the studio.

I guess, but if you're gigging night after night, eventually you fall in to a groove and start singing the same thing. They must've been really bad for him to want something on paper.

I guess, but if you're gigging night after night, eventually you fall in to a groove and start singing the same thing.

You'd sure think it...but didn't Ged start using a teleprompter a few years back?

They must've been really bad for him to want something on paper.

I'm guessing when they were tracking the first album he wanted to have the words to those songs written down so he could reference them while singing. Nerves perhaps?

Edited by JARG

Seems he's having some fun and Scully is with him. Now let the tour rumours start again...

We do? ;)

I don't.

Neither do I.

Me neither.

Yeah I don't either. Only time I ever go over there is if there's a link for something.

The only time I ever visited the page was on the first few dates of a tour since they always had live set updates. Other than that, never bother with it. I come here everyday. If news breaks someone will post it.

...eventually.

At this point only thing I'm interested in is news of a new album, which is very doubtful. Seems like the only thing we've been hearing is about how many vintage basses Geddy is getting.

He's a collector of things we know that but I guess he could be toying with the idea of a solo album

No solo album for me. They need each other for the real magic to happen. They already proved that with their previous solo releases.

They aren't joined at the hip. There's no reason why they can't make music separately. I would still be glad to hear something he put out.

Very true. But their respective solo albums were nowhere even close in quality than any Rush album they made together.

We do? ;)

I don't.

Neither do I.

Me neither.

...eventually.

No solo album for me. They need each other for the real magic to happen. They already proved that with their previous solo releases.

They aren't joined at the hip. There's no reason why they can't make music separately. I would still be glad to hear something he put out.

Very true. But their respective solo albums were nowhere even close in quality than any Rush album they made together.

I agree but they can make music with other people. That's all I meant. I'd listen to it.

We do? ;)

I don't.

Neither do I.

Me neither.

...eventually.

Fortunately that magic still happens for me solo or otherwise..

We do? ;)

I don't.

Neither do I.

Me neither.

...eventually.

I'm not sure if I'd exactly call it "magic" but My Favorite Headache, Home on the Strange, and Grace to Grace are better than a number of 21st century Rush songs IMHO :yes:

That's an opinion.

I consider My Favourite Headache one of the best albums ever recorded and if I had to rank it in the pantheon of RUSH albums it would be in my Top 3, if not first. Honesty, I would have to have a good hard think about whether I like Grace Under Pressure or My Favourite Headache more. There isn't a song I don't love on either album and doesn't 11/11 beat 8/8?

Edited by diatribein
  • Like 2

That's an opinion.

I consider My Favourite Headache one of the best albums ever recorded and if I had to rank it in the pantheon of RUSH albums it would be in my Top 3, if not first. Honesty, I would have to have a good hard think about whether I like Grace Under Pressure or My Favourite Headache more. There isn't a song I don't love on either album and doesn't 11/11 beat 8/8?

It is definitely an opinion. That is one thing about all music in all genres. How good ANY music is totally subjective to the tastes of who is listening to it. To me, MFH is nowhere near p/g, which is in my top five favorite Rush records. I also stand by my original statement and would say that I'll listen to ANY Rush record made before I listen to MFH. It's all subjective opinion. I'm a photographer by trade and "good" photography is exactly the same way. Very, very subjective. Maybe more so than music!

That being said, I have always thought that "Grace To Grace" from MFH would have made an EXCELLENT Rush song!

Edited by Mr. JD
  • Like 2

We do? ;)

I don't.

Neither do I.

Me neither.

...eventually.

I'm not sure if I'd exactly call it "magic" but My Favorite Headache, Home on the Strange, and Grace to Grace are better than a number of 21st century Rush songs IMHO :yes:

Different kind of magic (sorry about that!), but magic nonetheless.

"Geddy is California" is as about as exciting as saying Neil is back in Toronto!!

WHO CARES!

Alex is in Las Vegas playing golf at The Wynn!!!

"SO WHAT!"

Signed,

METALLICA

SO WHAT!

If it is indeed lonely at the top..

WHO CARES!

..it's lonely at the bottom too!

Signed GODDO!

Edited by MMCXII