It's been over a year and I still don't know how to cope

TemplesofLamneth

Is anyone else still openly depressed/distraught over "the end" of Rush?

I really am. They mean so much to me, and now I won't ever be able to see them. :(

This is how I feel to be honest. I regret turning them down in 2012, I think it was.

• Like 2

Segue, I did the same thing. Passed on CA in 2013 due to an emergency work meeting that got canceled a few hours before the show.

And GotNeil I feel for you man. I never thought I'd get to see them live unless they dropped another album. I loaded up the CC as soon as R40 tix went on sale

• Like 1

Is anyone else still openly depressed/distraught over "the end" of Rush?

I've been a huge fan since late 2012 when I began buying albums out of curiosity after years jamming out to the same 3 radio hits.

Since then I've really come into my own. I'm more outgoing, enthusiastic and don't really consider myself a pessimistic person anymore. I know it's odd to most folks that music of all things allowed me to see the other side of the coin so to say, but I feel like I owe these guys my life.

Since the series of announcements from Neil and Alex last year, I've known it was coming but Time Stand Still basically confirmed my worst fears. I've seen it over 20 times since Nov and I still tear up watching it.

Hell, the last segment that was filmed at the Forum in L.A. kicks the waterworks into hyperdrive. Upon hearing Alex speaking up on his feelings of never touring again I'll let loose a few tears, by the time the credits roll and The Garden begins playing I'm going off like an emergency sprinkler.

It seems I just can't let go... I was wondering if anyone else is there with me or if I'm just overreacting.

Jesus Christ man! Get ahold of yourself! Many of us were lucky enough to be born way the heck before you! Fuckk Man. You have your youth!

We older guys have our incredible memories of seeing our band many times!

Do you think I would want to give up ten years of my life to see Rush in 1975? HELL NO!

I saw Rush in 1984 when I was 16! I was blessed enough to see them then! Neill's first 360 kit! I will never forget that moment when we "rushed" the front stage and I got smashed into the barricade underneath a very concerned Geddy.

I saw Neil's solo front row crushed.

I will never forget it as long as I live.

Don't be angry or sad about missing RUSH. Don't blame your parents either for having you when they did!

Suck it up and be a man.

Don't be an Analog Kid!

BE A DIGITAL MAN!

RUSH IS OVER!

We all wish we could have seen them more and I'm a spoiled RUSHHEAD! FUKK IT!

Go find your new RUSH.

You can always follow Steven Wilson.

Ummm

Radiohead?

Ummmm

MUSE?

Wet Dream Theater?

Damn,

Not much left to follow.

Good luck to you.

I am sorry you missed the RUSH BOAT.

Perhaps you an save your money and go on the maiden voyage of the TITANIC 2.

Perhaps they can make ROBOT RUSH like in Bill And Ted's Bogus Journey.

That would be totally pathetic.

But hey...

I hear ABBA is going to do a HOLOGRAM gig.

Anything is possible.

1001001 SOS....

Edited by RUSHHEAD666
  • Like 1

Dude, no disrespect but nothing compares to Rush. They're one of those VERY RARE bands that can't be replaced, nor would I willfully allow any other band to do so.

Hopefully a few hundred years down the line one of my descendents will play Rush for alien species and unite the galaxy. :P

Dude, no disrespect but nothing compares to Rush. They're one of those VERY RARE bands that can't be replaced, nor would I willfully allow any other band to do so.

Hopefully a few hundred years down the line one of my descendents will play Rush for alien species and unite the galaxy. :P

I don't really think about it. And that's despite visiting this board nearly every day.

I thought they were done back in the late 90s after Peart's tragedies. They nearly lasted an additional 20 years?!! That's crazy!

Hell, I kind of thought R30 could've been the end too. But then they went another decade after that?!!

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 4

Segue, I did the same thing. Passed on CA in 2013 due to an emergency work meeting that got canceled a few hours before the show.

And GotNeil I feel for you man. I never thought I'd get to see them live unless they dropped another album. I loaded up the CC as soon as R40 tix went on sale

Plz call me GNP, and u do??

I'm not distraught but my only regret was i never saw them live.They never came to Australia.Been a fan since 1978(Hemisphers first Rush album for me)and never looked back.They took over from the mighty Zep as my favourite band and lookedforward to each new album.But i do realise it was the end.There were parts of R40 that were not so hot.I mean this is mostly complex music and they for the most part pulled it off except forpoor old Geds voice.The last three studio albums were also great but some parts left me cold.The Strolling Bones can amble onstage and fluff their way through Honky Tonk Woman with Mick poncing around and Keith looking as decadent as Exile happened yesterday.With Rush the standards are higher.I am actually a big fan of Feedback.And Presto.Taking a stepback.But i feel they went out on a high .The problem for me is who replaces them?I like Opeth,Dream Theater,Within Temptation,Nightwish,but it aint the same.I feel the same is going to face Bon Jovi,Metallica fans and 2112 will happen very shortly.Astonishingly :cosmo: :wtf: :digi: I have had a few drinks.
  • Like 1

I don't really think about it. And that's despite visiting this board nearly every day.

I thought they were done back in the late 90s after Peart's tragedies. They nearly lasted an additional 20 years?!! That's crazy!

Hell, I kind of thought R30 could've been the end too. But then they went another decade after that?!!

Agreed. Hell, who among us regularly visit this forum because of rush? I know I don't, I just like the community.

• Like 2

I think the problem is for a lot of fans, myself included, is the end wasn't definitive enough. We never got an official statement saying the band is finished.

Of course is Al & Ged's perogative to keep things open and do whatever they like but, doesnt stop a few of us feeling slightly frustrated at the position :)

• Like 1

I was thinking earlier about how I just don't understand the mindset of people like warren buffet and anyone that has made enough money to truly be set and yet they continue to run the rat race when they have the opportunity to spend their time truly enjoying life.

You can't understand that other people enjoy different things than you do?
  • Like 1

I'm not worried in the slightest....they had a damn good run of fine albums from 1974-1987, and that is enough legacy for anyone.

Indeed, I wish they HAD called it a day at the end of the 80s, because they would have truly gone out on a high then.

I've seen them several times over the years, starting with the Moving Pictures tour and ending with S&A, and they were a pale shadow of the former by then.

As it is, I wish them well in their retirement, I still have all the great music to listen to, and there are plenty of other bands to occupy my interest.

• Like 1

I'm sad. Partly because I never saw them live and I kick myself daily for not making the effort when I was living in Ohio. Not so much opportunity in Australia. Partly because I don't believe people who spent their lives making incredible music can just turn it off like a tap when it becomes a bit harder. I've retired but I loved my job and miss it. I came to Rush in the late 70's and missed the stuff produced in the 90's and later until recently. There are things on the recent albums I love. Having said that Clockwork Angels wasn't their best and as much as I adore Geddy, his voice is shot. They had a helluva career and they deserve a rest but considering how they created the music and released it, I have hope. I know they always prided themselves as being a working touring band but maybe they can give that part a miss and produce something new. Geddy's said he doesn't intend to give up production of new stuff. If Al's arthritis can be managed, as mine is, and they take it slowly, I still can dream. And listen to them every day. Please don't shoot me down because I'm not a longtime member of your little club.
  • Like 2

I'm as big of a Rush fan as there is. Seen them 60 times starting in 1977. I am sad that it's over but it does not keep me up at night. I've got plenty of Rush music, live DVDs and memories to last a lifetime.
  • Like 2

I'm sad. Partly because I never saw them live and I kick myself daily for not making the effort when I was living in Ohio. Not so much opportunity in Australia. Partly because I don't believe people who spent their lives making incredible music can just turn it off like a tap when it becomes a bit harder. I've retired but I loved my job and miss it. I came to Rush in the late 70's and missed the stuff produced in the 90's and later until recently. There are things on the recent albums I love. Having said that Clockwork Angels wasn't their best and as much as I adore Geddy, his voice is shot. They had a helluva career and they deserve a rest but considering how they created the music and released it, I have hope. I know they always prided themselves as being a working touring band but maybe they can give that part a miss and produce something new. Geddy's said he doesn't intend to give up production of new stuff. If Al's arthritis can be managed, as mine is, and they take it slowly, I still can dream. And listen to them every day. Please don't shoot me down because I'm not a longtime member of your little club.

Welcome to TRF! Most here are pretty friendly and you are not the only one that thinks some new music will be coming from Geddy and Alex somehow. I think you will only be bothered if you are insisting that they will hire Chad Kroeger to sing and still call it Rush. ;). Nice to hear from you!

• Like 4

...I don't believe people who spent their lives making incredible music can just turn it off like a tap when it becomes a bit harder. I've retired but I loved my job and miss it...

:goodone:

My feelings exactly. I hope they fill up with so much pent-up creativeness that they feel they have to go make new music! Don't care as much about more touring.

Edited by Mr. JD
  • Like 2