Favorite Aussie Bands That Aren't AC/DC

goose

I'm surprised people have even heard of Midnight Oil in the USA.

I wasn't aware they were that well known.

They made a big splash with 10 to 1 and Red Sails, then faded a bit till they came back big time with Diesel and Dust. But, yeah, a killer live act.
  • Like 2

I wasn't aware they were that well known. They have always had the reputation of being a phenomenal live band.

They were known in the underground, of which I sadly was not party. But Diesel broke huge here and when I looked into them and saw their back catalog, I ordered every album from my music store and bought them immediately.

Phenomenal band often seen as one-hit wonder over here, which is sickening. Capricornia was a stellar send off, Moginie is a genius, Rob's contributions are always spot on, and if they want to make another I'll buy it now sound unheard.

I wasn't aware they were that well known. They have always had the reputation of being a phenomenal live band.

They were known in the underground, of which I sadly was not party. But Diesel broke huge here and when I looked into them and saw their back catalog, I ordered every album from my music store and bought them immediately.

Phenomenal band often seen as one-hit wonder over here, which is sickening. Capricornia was a stellar send off, Moginie is a genius, Rob's contributions are always spot on, and if they want to make another I'll buy it now sound unheard.

Worse: I know a guy who refers to Rush as a one-hit wonder.

• Like 1

Wolfmother for me

A hard rocking power trio - could be considered metal - has a lot of Zeppelin influence evident - bass player also plays keys - good recipe for my ears

When I got a new iphone, the only music that transferred over from 'the cloud' was the New Crown album. Not sure why. Probably the only album I have on itunes, where the rest were probably the old fashion way of using the computer to click and drag music files burned from CDs onto my external hard drive into the iphone folder.

So I will be happy not to hear New Crown for awhile.

Wolfmother for me

A hard rocking power trio - could be considered metal - has a lot of Zeppelin influence evident - bass player also plays keys - good recipe for my ears

When I got a new iphone, the only music that transferred over from 'the cloud' was the New Crown album. Not sure why. Probably the only album I have on itunes, where the rest were probably the old fashion way of using the computer to click and drag music files burned from CDs onto my external hard drive into the iphone folder.

So I will be happy not to hear New Crown for awhile.

:haz:

• Like 1

Ah Christ, apparently Oils tickets are selling like friggin hot cakes. I tried to get a pair for the Boston show and there were only 8 left- all held by scalpers. At $178 per, with a $50 something handling charge EACH, it's run me almost $500.

I love the Oils but I'm not lining a scalper's dirty pockets. Blah. They have already sold out a bunch of other shows too (NY, Toronto, Atlanta, Portland, etc)

They better make a DVD of this tour!

• Like 2

Ah Christ, apparently Oils tickets are selling like friggin hot cakes. I tried to get a pair for the Boston show and there were only 8 left- all held by scalpers. At $178 per, with a $50 something handling charge EACH, it's run me almost $500.

I love the Oils but I'm not lining a scalper's dirty pockets. Blah. They have already sold out a bunch of other shows too (NY, Toronto, Atlanta, Portland, etc)

Bummer, but also very cool for the Band.
  • Like 1

Yeah. I hadn't decided if I was going to pay for Toronto tix plus staying overnight (did not want to drive five hours home after the show.)

Too late.

Oh well. I've seen them before. It's possible they'll add dates since the sales are so great. I'm stunned. I did not expect them to sell so hot over here after such a long lay off and even longer since they were big here.

What I really want, though, is an album. Rob and Jim write constantly, and they record albums still. They're the principle writers, so if they want to work together, all they need is for Pete to want to sing.

Come on, one more time guys!

• Like 2

That's a crazy price!

• Like 1

Rob did say that he and Jim are writing stuff already, which is great news. A reporter asked him how this wouldn't be considered a nostalgia tour and Rob said there would have to be new music. Then the reporter asked if there WOULD be and Rob said "yeah" haha.

The first time I saw them they played two songs that hadn't been released yet (Capricornia and Lurjrta Way). I wouldn't be surprised if they played a couple new ones this tour.

• Like 2

HomesickAlien is a huge aussie band enthusiast, he could give a laundry list.. :eyeroll:

As for me? Skyhooks, Karnivool, Arcane, Crowded House (By extension, NZ's Split Enz is decent, but I especially like Neil Finn's solo work 1:

2:
), Breaking Orbit.

Midnight Oil. Peter Garret frightens me. Imagine waking up in the middle of the night and seeing this at the foot of your bed:

http://i.imgur.com/miIMRAI.gif

:o

Imagine what it was like when he was elected to Parliament and was the Minister for the Environment. (Didn’t last long)

• Like 1

INXS, Men at Work, Crowded House, Cold Chisel, Powderfinger, Eskimo Joe, Hunters and Collectors.

Then Mondo Rock, Mental as Anything, the Models, Silverchair, Australian Crawl (was just listening to James Reyne live in the car)

• Like 2