Were you born near the sea or far inland?

treeduck

How far were you born from the sea?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. How far were you born from the sea?

• I was born right on the coast, literally right near an ocean (or sea)
    • About a mile from the coast
    • 2 or 3 miles from the sea
    • 5 miles from the coast
    • 10 miles from the coast
    • about 20-25 miles from the coast
    • about 50 miles from the coast
    • 75-100 miles from the coast
    • 200 miles from the coast
    • 300-500 miles from the coast
    • 500-1000 miles from the sea/ocean
    • 1000-1500 from the coast
    • the Dzungarian Basin, which is in the Xinjiang Uygur autonomous region, in the far north-west of China. It is at a great-circle distance of 2,648 km (1,645 miles) from the nearest open sea - the furthest point

If the coast of the Gulf of Mexico counts, I was born about 450 miles from the nearest coastline.

The Gulf counts as part of the ocean/sea in my view.

I vote it counts.

Edited by Mosher

Are we talking actual ocean? I :heart: the actual ocean since we went there every summer, but I was born near Chicago, where many people go to the "beach" of Lake Michigan.

No Lake Michigan doesn't count that's a landlocked body of water. It has to at least be a channel connected to the sea to count.

You can indeed travel from Lake Michigan to the ocean via water.

Yeah but a lake isn't like the ocean, a lake is a lake.

It's weird that the Black Sea is a sea and not a lake and Lake Michigan/superior are lakes and not seas.

• Like 1

Are we talking actual ocean? I :heart: the actual ocean since we went there every summer, but I was born near Chicago, where many people go to the "beach" of Lake Michigan.

No Lake Michigan doesn't count that's a landlocked body of water. It has to at least be a channel connected to the sea to count.

It's weird that the Black Sea is a sea and not a lake and Lake Michigan/superior are lakes and not seas.

Aye.

• Like 1

http://www.gonorthwest.com/Washington/images_wa/map.jpg

I was born in Spokane, about 200 miles from Puget Sound, as the crow flies. I lived in Tacoma and, later, Shelton (just north of Olympia), which are right on the water. I also lived in San Diego, CA and Veracruz, Mexico, both port cities.

• Like 3

Washington DC. Does a swamp infested with scumbags count as the sea? If not, pretty far inland for me...
  • Like 1

I was born outside Chicago, and Google maps puts Gulf of Mexico as the closest ocean, so I guess that's it! Our family has vacationed at Virginia Beach since childhood , though, so my :heart: is there.

Aye.

I love aye. We really don't say that here in the states. We have yep, yup, f'in' A and you betcha. I would like to use aye more often.

• Like 1

Aye.

I love aye. We really don't say that here in the states. We have yep, yup, f'in' A and you betcha. I would like to use aye more often.

Never sounds right when we Yanks try to use it. Same as when we use "mate" or "sweet as". Even when we try to jokingly mimic our Cannuck brothers' ABOOT, it just doesn't seem to work.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

Aye.

I don't use it as much in actual speech in person, but I do use it, it slips out now and again.

When we were on the East Coast, I used to think I was looking across the ocean at you, treeduck! We always thought the waves came from England. My dad had been in the Navy and sat us down one day and drew a map of the East Coast, Spain and Portugal. Sorry I missed you- I was looking at Portugal all those years!
  • Like 1

When we were on the East Coast, I used to think I was looking across the ocean at you, treeduck! We always thought the waves came from England. My dad had been in the Navy and sat us down one day and drew a map of the East Coast, Spain and Portugal. Sorry I missed you- I was looking at Portugal all those years!

I think they kind of do come from England don't they?

• Like 1

I was born in a town on the south coast of England so I was born right near the sea. :sundog:

Why the hell are you up here in the North then? I love Cornwall and my aim is to live there. From a prairie girl to an ocean lover, just love it.

• Like 1

The Black Sea is not a lake because it's linked to the Mediterranean Sea (which empties into the Atlantic Ocean) via the Bosporus Strait. The Great Lakes are all technically one giant lake linked to the Atlantic by the St. Lawrence River.

• Like 1

I was born in a town on the south coast of England so I was born right near the sea. :sundog:

Why the hell are you up here in the North then? I love Cornwall and my aim is to live there. From a prairie girl to an ocean lover, just love it.

My parents moved when I was 2 years old.

I voted 500 to 1000 miles to the ocean. It was just a guess. Born in southern Ohio.

That it is...and that is where I am now! (...of there is anyone here who didn't know that by now).

However, I was born about 100 miles or so from Lake Michigan. And still 500-1000 miles from an ocean.

• Like 1