Your Top 5 Progressive Rock/Metal Bands

sabresman31

Wait, some of these bands are not Progressive Metal. I know Judas Priest,Iron Maiden, and Anthrax are not.

I am confused??????????????

Maiden has progressive elements in their 80s work with Bruce. They have certainly been prog metal since Brave New World.

I get the confusion over the topic. The way it was formatted doesn't make it clear if prog rock and prog metal is wanted or if it is just prog rock and regular metal.

Obviously, a band like Priest isn't prog.

• Like 3

Rush

Genesis

ELP

Kansas

Spock's Beard

nice to see more love for the mighty Beard. they realy deserve it.

Mick

Yes they do. I love their music.

• Like 1

Wait, some of these bands are not Progressive Metal. I know Judas Priest,Iron Maiden, and Anthrax are not.

I had the same first thoughts.

But as soon as someone posted Priest and someone else explained that it meant prog or metal I voted. The OP didn't return to clarify that I noticed, so I just followed the trend.

Since they were asking for bands to check out, the OP can filter out the bands that don't can't if there are any.

• Like 1

If you have heard Iron Maiden since 2000, they have been progressive metal. Their new album has a 20-minute song with multiple pieces.

• Like 2

If you have heard Iron Maiden since 2000, they have been progressive metal. Their new album has a 20-minute song with multiple pieces.

Just because a song is long does not mean its prog rock.

But it is a progressive piece. Works better as a whole than 2112 or Fountain Of Lamneth. Which both sound like different songs stitched together.

Maiden have almost always had progressive leanings.

• Like 7

But it is a progressive piece. Works better as a whole than 2112 or Fountain Of Lamneth. Which both sound like different songs stitched together.

Maiden have almost always had progressive leanings.

Yep, dating as far back as the first album with "Phantom Of The Opera" which flows like a prog piece. If you knew your Maiden well, you'd know that Steve Harris is a prog fan.
  • Like 3

Well, Rush is a given but other than them...

Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson

Opeth

King Crimson

Yes

And I'm gonna throw a band that none of you have ever heard of and that's Kayo Dot. Their debut Choirs Of The Eye is IMO a benchmark album in the American underground avant-garde/prog metal scene and I'll even go as far as to say they're progressive in the most literal sense of the word. Their newest album Plastic House On Sunday Base Of Sky is what I'd best describe as "progressive electronic goth rock"

• Like 2

Opeth

King Crimson

Yes

And I'm gonna throw a band that none of you have ever heard of and that's Kayo Dot. Their debut Choirs Of The Eye is IMO a benchmark album in the American underground avant-garde/prog metal scene and I'll even go as far as to say they're progressive in the most literal sense of the word. Their newest album Plastic House On Sunday Base Of Sky is what I'd best describe as "progressive electronic goth rock"

Ive heard of kayo dot and i know before kayo dot they were someone else but i cant remember who? Maudlin of the well?

Opeth

King Crimson

Yes

Ive heard of kayo dot and i know before kayo dot they were someone else but i cant remember who? Maudlin of the well?

Yep, that's the one. maudlin of the Well was the band that would later be known as Kayo Dot. motW put out three albums before renaming themselves KD when they released Choirs Of The Eye on John Zorn's Tzadik label. Toby Driver got the motW members back together to play 2 shows in 2015 as part of a weeklong residency in NYC to celebrate his 20+ year career...and a show in which my friend attended.
  • Like 1

Rush

King's X

Yes

Nightwish (if Rush counts then so do Nightwish. Plenty of long songs and progressive moments)

And most recently:

Pain Of Salvation (so far based on one extraordinary album: Remedy Lane)

• Like 1

I saw The Crimson ProjeKc/Stickmen tour in Sydney 2014.

My wife and I were given free tickets and back stage passes by someone who knows one of the band members.

Apart from Rush it was my only other Prog gig (unless you count Alchemist at a youth centre lol).

I didn't know any of the songs. And a lot of music was W.E.I.R.D.

But the playing was phenomenal, especially to two drummers playing together.