Rate the Rush song: The Big Money  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Rate the Rush song: The Big Money

• ★☆☆☆☆
    • ★★☆☆☆
    • ★★★☆☆
    • ★★★★☆
    • ★★★★★

2 stars. I like the album PoW, but I'm not a fan of this tune at all, it's so cheesy to my ears.

This^^^. Couldn't have said it better so I won't try. The beginning of the end...
  • Like 1

I was horrified when I first heard this song. I hated it. Too many keyboards/weird sound effects thrown in, especially in the beginning. It reminds me of one of the George Lucas prequels with so many computer effects thrown in to overwhelm you. Then they start jamming for awhile and they actually sound like Rush again. The middle jam section is pretty good. And the drumming is very creative and phenomenal. The drumming saves this song. If I listen to it now, I block out the other noise and appreciate the drumming.

I gave it 3 stars....barely. The rest of Power Windows is, well,......not "power"ful. It's more like manual broken windows.

4 stars. Loved it when I first heard it. The solo section kicks ass, as does the outro. Yes, cheesy keyboard overlays - but I write that off to 1985.
  • Like 2

This is a great song. The first hit that starts the whole song gets me every time, it just sounds so beautiful!

Also, I like the misheard song lyric.

"Big Money goes around the world.

Big Money Ted Cruz."

(Instead of "Take a Cruise")

• Like 1

Remember buying the 12 inch of this, remember we had no leaks in those days. After the disappointment of Grace Under Pressure didn't know what to expect, then this madness came out of the speakers which seemed twice as loud as anything Rush had done prior. At first I thought what the hell but after the mad intro, it settles down into a catchy rock song, best video for one of their songs IMO.

After the dark sounding Grace Under Pressure suddenly everything was bright and shiny on Power Windows and Big Money was a great kickstart.For me this was a great era for Rush because i started with the release of Hemispheres and eagerly awaited each new release and found each album to be so different from the last but still identifiable as Rush.The synths are probably a bit too much and it is probably a bit overblown but it was 1985 and Yes were mining the same field at the time.Love Alex's solo.
  • Like 2

Is funny but the intro to The Big Money is always the thing that spontaneously bursts through my mind on occasion, you know, when you in middle of doing something or other, usually followed by ged's bass line in the track.

5/5

• Like 2

Sometimes I think the guys in Rush are clueless about what the fans really want. Gene Simmons from Kiss once said, "without the fans, you are nothing". I can respect being artistically driven and ambitious and trying new things but this era in the mid to late 80s and early 90s was way too much for me. They went WAY too far off center in a different direction for too long. Neil once said "if he were a fan, Power Windows would be a favorite album because it's richly textured". Huh? The sound of hard rock/metal was changing and evolving during this time and the guitar sound was getting heavier and crunchier. But Rush's guitar sound was disappearing.

Geddy, Alex, and Neil, if you're reading this,...you are a progressive hard rock power trio. A power trio, not a power duo. You're not The Human League, A Flock Of Seagulls, Kajagoogoo, or A-Ha. When I think of rock, I think of guitar, not keyboards. The album cover of A Show Of Hands shows a cartoon person (supposed to be Geddy) playing a keyboard. What's up with that?

I'm just venting.