The Haken Thread

Tick

4 hours ago, Mr. Not said:

if nightingale is any indication then it won't be too mcuh of a difference with the new (old) keyboardist in the mix, based on that song alone it seems like he's a little more subtle and explorative with atmospheric sounds. with henshall doing so much of the songwriting/composing i can't really tell though.

i've been listening to Henshall's The Cocoon and Griffith's Tiktalika to tide me over until the new album. i didn't care for Cocoon a whole lot at it's release but now i love it. still not sold on the rapping on that one song though. Tiktalika is good but more on the generic side of prog metal, especially if i'm comparing it to The Cocoon. the title track should be retitled to "Larks Tongue in Aspic Part V"

Haken's always been a guitar-centric prog band for me, but like PT the use of keyboards are excellent and fit well to accentuate mood.

I also like The Cocoon although I haven't listened in a few months.  It's got a variety of genres/styles, not as much pure riffage and more melodic than Haken's more proggish material can be.  He has a good voice too.

I previewed some songs from Tiktalika, and while 'fine' nothing grabbed me enough to bite on buying the whole album.  Nothing I've heard from fans has convinced me otherwise.

Edited by stoopid

Tiktalika has been coming up a lot in my youtube feed, and I've been tempted to start clicking on the tracks... and now I own the album.  It's a really solid, and heavy, effort.  New Haken is on the horizon too.

• Like 1

the next haken album couldnt come any sooner. they just announced a big show but still no sign of a new album, expecting late 2023 at best😔

charles’ solo album is a lot of fun but i prefer richard’s by a long shot. it’s good for ever haken fan to check out both in order to get a better idea of which guitarist contributes what to each song, compositionally 

8 minutes ago, Mr. Not said:

the next haken album couldnt come any sooner. they just announced a big show but still no sign of a new album, expecting late 2023 at best😔

charles’ solo album is a lot of fun but i prefer richard’s by a long shot. it’s good for ever haken fan to check out both in order to get a better idea of which guitarist contributes what to each song, compositionally 

They're both very different albums, which probably explains how they work well as a tandem since they bring different skillsets/interests to the table.

My understanding is the Haken album is done and working its way through all the behind the scenes hurtles to our ears.  Probably more like early/mid 2023 at worse.

• Like 1