The Haken Thread

Tick

73!!!

I just ordered the limited media book pressing!!!! Just letting you know there is a 2 cd limited version out there!!! Yahooo!!! LOL!

I think that's what I ordered as well, it was only a few bucks more. It's been delayed a bit, mid June now. I doubt the digital version (mine came with this) will be released on the original date, but it would be sweet if it did.

• Like 2

73!!!

I just ordered the limited media book pressing!!!! Just letting you know there is a 2 cd limited version out there!!! Yahooo!!! LOL!

I think that's what I ordered as well, it was only a few bucks more. It's been delayed a bit, mid June now. I doubt the digital version (mine came with this) will be released on the original date, but it would be sweet if it did.

I ordered the single CD version. With the 2CD version, the second disc contains instrumental versions of all the songs. That seems cool, but I'd be happy enough hearing those versions once or twice, and you can find most if not all of them on YouTube.

Several reviews of the new album are out there, and they're all good.

• Like 1

73!!!

I ordered the single CD version. With the 2CD version, the second disc contains instrumental versions of all the songs. That seems cool, but I'd be happy enough hearing those versions once or twice, and you can find most if not all of them on YouTube.

Several reviews of the new album are out there, and they're all good.

I think there's also liner notes, lyrics, etc in the "mediabook" 2 disc:

https://www.lasercd.com/cd/virus-2cd-mediabook-preorder

I've been listening a lot to this album. I think it is their strongest release so far. First class!
  • Like 2

been listening to nothing but this album lately, it's great from front to back and i do think it's their best release yet.

i think that their lyrics are darker & more introspective than usual on this one, some parts are just harsh, like Invasion's line: "why is it we're never learning from all the mistakes we ever make?"

or Carousel's "Think of all the people you have turned your back on" -- when the song gets to that part it feels like i've entered a nightmare punishment zone

• Like 3

The new album is fantastic. Favorite tracks are Carousel, The Strain and Canary Yellow.

i'd say mine are:

Prosthetic

The Strain

Canary Yellow

Messiah Complex (first two parts)

Canary Yellow took a while to grow on me, but once the feeling hit it became one of my absolute favorite songs of theirs alongside Insomnia / Aquarium / The Good Doctor

• Like 2

The new album is fantastic. Favorite tracks are Carousel, The Strain and Canary Yellow.

i'd say mine are:

Prosthetic

The Strain

Canary Yellow

Messiah Complex (first two parts)

Canary Yellow took a while to grow on me, but once the feeling hit it became one of my absolute favorite songs of theirs alongside Insomnia / Aquarium / The Good Doctor

I got to get into some deeper listening with Messiah Complex. I very much enjoy the song as a whole but haven't really concentrated on the individual parts yet. I just know the song starts after Canary Yellow.

• Like 1

Charlie Griffiths of Haken has a solo album out - it was released yesterday. Pretty good one, with plenty of guests, lots of heavy riffs and a proggy concept. I spoke with him about it here:

On 6/18/2022 at 8:57 AM, Rod in Toronto said:

Charlie Griffiths of Haken has a solo album out - it was released yesterday. Pretty good one, with plenty of guests, lots of heavy riffs and a proggy concept. I spoke with him about it here:

Checking out the title track on bandcamp now... tight!

I liked Richard's solo album (Cocoon) from a couple years ago.  Thanks for the reminder, I need to circle back on that it's ben a while.  There's no shortage of individual talent in this band.

I don't think Haken can put out an album I won't enjoy, at this point in their career.  Even the first couple albums are fine, since The Mountain though they've been on fire.  Eagerly anticipating this one.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, stoopid said:

I don't think Haken can put out an album I won't enjoy, at this point in their career.  Even the first couple albums are fine, since The Mountain though they've been on fire.  Eagerly anticipating this one.

i agree, i consider all their albums strong 

• Like 1

On 7/27/2022 at 9:39 AM, stoopid said:

Vector was one that didn't stick for me. Puzzle Box and Veil are pretty good but I have it near the bottom with Aquarius. Aquarius is arguably some of their most unique, but another one that doesn't stick.

Big fan of Affinity and Virus!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, The Analog Cub said:

Vector was one that didn't stick for me. Puzzle Box and Veil are pretty good but I have it near the bottom with Aquarius. Aquarius is arguably some of their most unique, but another one that doesn't stick.

Big fan of Affinity and Virus!

I'd agree that Vector is the 'weakest' of the last 4 albums.

I also don't care much for Aquarius, despite as you say it being very old schoolish proggy.  Visions is the best of their earliest, although I haven't played it enough times to know anything other than it's not as strong as their newer albums.

15 hours ago, stoopid said:

I'd agree that Vector is the 'weakest' of the last 4 albums.

I also don't care much for Aquarius, despite as you say it being very old schoolish proggy.  Visions is the best of their earliest, although I haven't played it enough times to know anything other than it's not as strong as their newer albums.

Visions (the title track) is one of the greatest songs they've ever written.

• Like 1

i'll have to listen to affinity again as it's their "weakest' imo while all the other albums are consistently near 5/5s if not 5/5

i also listened to The Fifth Dimension demo for the first time yesterday in order to get a feel for their original keyboardist (again i dont think the line up change here will amount to a whole lot), and if you want the most Dream Theater esque version of Haken that's where to go. 

I've been of the opinion that Haken takes prog metal to the next logical step for the 2010s / 2020s where Dream Theater had their own place & peak in the 90's and 00's

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Not said:

i'll have to listen to affinity again as it's their "weakest' imo while all the other albums are consistently near 5/5s if not 5/5

i also listened to The Fifth Dimension demo for the first time yesterday in order to get a feel for their original keyboardist (again i dont think the line up change here will amount to a whole lot), and if you want the most Dream Theater esque version of Haken that's where to go. 

I've been of the opinion that Haken takes prog metal to the next logical step for the 2010s / 2020s where Dream Theater had their own place & peak in the 90's and 00's

Affinity is my favorite.

• Like 1

if nightingale is any indication then it won't be too mcuh of a difference with the new (old) keyboardist in the mix, based on that song alone it seems like he's a little more subtle and explorative with atmospheric sounds. with henshall doing so much of the songwriting/composing i can't really tell though.

i've been listening to Henshall's The Cocoon and Griffith's Tiktalika to tide me over until the new album. i didn't care for Cocoon a whole lot at it's release but now i love it. still not sold on the rapping on that one song though. Tiktalika is good but more on the generic side of prog metal, especially if i'm comparing it to The Cocoon. the title track should be retitled to "Larks Tongue in Aspic Part V"

Edited by Mr. Not
  • Like 1