The Haken Thread

Tick

The interview went great, although it was only with Charlie Griffiths - Richard Henshall had an issue with his baby and had to step out. I got some great insights from him, including the fact that them palying with Portnoy on the Shattered Fortress tour was a huge influence in how the new album turned out - and i haev to agree, there's at least one track there that sounds heavily influenced by DT. Actually all of them are quite heavy, and the only "breathing space" is a moody number called Host, which has a flugelhorn at the beginning and sounds a bit like a score of a film noir. The rest is pretty busy. Tw other things that immediately caught my attention: the drums sound AMAZING in this release, way more organic than in previous ones, and there are many Muse influences throughout the album. But more towards Origin of Symmetry than 2nd Law, thankfully!

"Pretty busy" they do well, but it's the hooks they can inject into that madness I enjoy the most.

If you're a Haken fan, you won't be disappointed with this release. For me, this on being shorter is actually a plus!

• Like 1

The interview went great, although it was only with Charlie Griffiths - Richard Henshall had an issue with his baby and had to step out. I got some great insights from him, including the fact that them palying with Portnoy on the Shattered Fortress tour was a huge influence in how the new album turned out - and i haev to agree, there's at least one track there that sounds heavily influenced by DT. Actually all of them are quite heavy, and the only "breathing space" is a moody number called Host, which has a flugelhorn at the beginning and sounds a bit like a score of a film noir. The rest is pretty busy. Tw other things that immediately caught my attention: the drums sound AMAZING in this release, way more organic than in previous ones, and there are many Muse influences throughout the album. But more towards Origin of Symmetry than 2nd Law, thankfully!

"Pretty busy" they do well, but it's the hooks they can inject into that madness I enjoy the most.

If you're a Haken fan, you won't be disappointed with this release. For me, this on being shorter is actually a plus!

I know they're prog but getting to the point and not dragging things out isn't always a bad thing in music.

• Like 1

Great fukking band!!!! LOVE THEM!!!

I was at Journey, Def Leppard and Foreigner and someone was wearing a Haken shirt.

Of course I have no problem typing, I mean talking I mean Hakening to strangers.

I talked to this dude and he told me they are going to tour the states! FUKK YES!

A real band!

Yeah, the new album comes out in a few days, and they'll tour with another amazing band called Leprous. You should check out Leprous, Earl. Their drummer is really good.

That interview was one of the toughest ones to transcribe. The dude said more "you know", "I mean" and "kind of" than actual meaningful stuff. And he's British!

Yeah, the new album comes out in a few days, and they'll tour with another amazing band called Leprous. You should check out Leprous, Earl. Their drummer is really good.

That interview was one of the toughest ones to transcribe. The dude said more "you know", "I mean" and "kind of" than actual meaningful stuff. And he's British!

Leprous are amazing.

Yeah, you would think with him being British he would at least throw in a couple of "bloody hells" and "wankers" in there for you instead lol.

The drummer for Leprous is insane. I'm not a musician but I usually can at least see in my mind what a drummer might be doing when I listen to them. This guy though! Is he a fracking octopus or something? Seems like he's going in a dozen different directions at once with some of the songs on Malina.

Seriously,to each his own, but I love classic Muse, and can't stand their recent output, for the most part.

Same. They used to be one of my favourite bands, but they've been going downhill ever since Black Holes, IMO.

I pretty much like all their music . Best trio of the modern age imo.

What i have heard of haken i like.

I interesting to read about the shattered fortress above.

My brain is toasted but it seems like members of haken were in a supergroup of late

That shit is dope

From the L-1VE cd/dvd, out in a couple of weeks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMzgh_1j838&feature=youtu.be

How is this the first time their music has been posted in this thread? I haven't heard of these guys until this thread, listened to this song, and holy shit, my mind is blown. Heading off to youtube to check out more asap.

Edited by Cygnus 2112

Here's an interview a friend of mine did with Diego Tejeida of Haken, with questions prepared by yours truly:

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-diego-tejeida/?fbclid=IwAR3F6vMu5132USiiQ_eK7ylonZoQQR14FmlZgFw-krz-d6qoFtvZcqS1s8I

Nope, it's brilliant start to finish. Currently my favourite on the album.

I've warmed a bit more to the track on subsequent listens. Instead of trying to connect with the music, I've adjusted my mental filters to instead enjoy the track for what it actually is -- the entire band simultaneously soloing. :P

Last year was a slow year for me with regards to new music input in my collection. Vector was easily the best new music for me in 2018, and now into 2019 (new Lonely Robot coming, so that will hopefully change).

HAKEN RULES!

I remember taking my dad to see

Journey

Def Leppard

Foreigner

Last summer in SF.

Some dude was wearing a HAKEN Tour shirt.

Of course I had to tap him on the shoulder and give him some props.

Amazing band.