Rush and Zeppelin debut tracks clash

Texas King

Rush and Zeppelin debut tracks clash  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Rush and Zeppelin debut tracks clash

• Rush - Working Man
    • Led Zeppelin - Dazed and Confused

Well i have to go for Working Man because a bit more uptempo where as Dazed and Confused can be a bit plodding and Page ripped it off some folk singer whose name escapes me.He did that once or twice.Question:Did Alex use the Violin bow on By Tor ,it sounds like it on ATWAS,but it may be just using the volume knob or pedal.

Well i have to go for Working Man because a bit more uptempo where as Dazed and Confused can be a bit plodding and Page ripped it off some folk singer whose name escapes me.He did that once or twice.Question:Did Alex use the Violin bow on By Tor ,it sounds like it on ATWAS,but it may be just using the volume knob or pedal.

I prefer Nigel Tuffnel's guitar solo when he was using the violin

• Like 1

Yes Nigel beats ,rips,burns Pagey and Alex hands down.He has a better guitar collection too.
  • Like 1

Dazed and Confused wins my vote because it's been one of my current favorite Led Zeppelin tracks. "Working Man" is just Ok, and being a Rush fan their debut album has really been sounding worse in recent years (meaning Rush).

Working Man is leading in votes 16:5??? To be fair I am shocked.

Alex Lifeson woud be also shocked seeing this result!

Well, it's far from Zep's best track.

Working Man is leading in votes 16:5??? To be fair I am shocked.

Alex Lifeson woud be also shocked seeing this result!

How is this shocking ?? .. It's a Rush forum

And Working Man has been a beloved song for 40 years - Geddy has said it is his favorite song to play live

• Like 1

On Jake Holmes, the writer of Dazed And Confused :

In August 1967, Holmes opened for The Yardbirds at a Greenwich Village gig in New York.[8] According to Holmes, "That was the infamous moment of my life when Dazed and Confused fell into the loving arms and hands of Jimmy Page."[7] When "Dazed and Confused" appeared in Led Zeppelin's album in 1969, Holmes was aware of it but didn't follow up on it at that time. He said: "In the early 1980s, I did write them a letter and I said basically: 'I understand it's a collaborative effort, but I think you should give me credit at least and some remuneration.' But they never contacted me."[7]

In June 2010, Holmes brought suit against Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page for copyright infringement, claiming to have written and recorded "Dazed and Confused" two years before it appeared on Led Zeppelin's debut album. In court documents Holmes cited a 1967 copyright registration for "Dazed and Confused" which was renewed in 1995.[8] This court case was "dismissed with prejudice",[9] as the parties settled out of court in January 2012.[10]

So now, could someone point me to who Rush stole Working man from ??

• Like 1

So now, could someone point me to who Rush stole Working man from ??

as I understand it, Working Man is loosely based on this Huey Lewis hit...

But I could be wrong.

• Like 2

It's amazing how Zeppelin got away with stealing other people's songs early in their career. Listen to YouTube: Zeppelin plagiarism and you'll see that they stole many songs from artists including Jake Holmes (total blatant ripoff of Dazed and Confused), and Joan Baez (total complete ripoff of Babe I'm Gonna Leave You). Zep stole early blues/folk songs and turned them heavier.

So, once again, Rush has my vote. In fact, Rush wrote every single one of their songs (NOT ONE COVER), for the first 30 years of their career! Not until Feedback did they ever commercially release a cover tune! Lots of respect there. Not even the Beatles, Stones or Zep do that!

In fact, Rush wrote every single one of their songs (NOT ONE COVER), for the first 30 years of their career! Not until Feedback did they ever commercially release a cover tune! Lots of respect there. Not even the Beatles, Stones or Zep do that!

Well, that's not true! Or do you not know that their first ever single was a cover of the Buddy Holly song Not Fade Away? Don't believe me? Have a look at wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia...ade_Away_(song)

Edited by diatribein

It's amazing how Zeppelin got away with stealing other people's songs early in their career. Listen to YouTube: Zeppelin plagiarism and you'll see that they stole many songs from artists including Jake Holmes (total blatant ripoff of Dazed and Confused), and Joan Baez (total complete ripoff of Babe I'm Gonna Leave You). Zep stole early blues/folk songs and turned them heavier.

So, once again, Rush has my vote. In fact, Rush wrote every single one of their songs (NOT ONE COVER), for the first 30 years of their career! Not until Feedback did they ever commercially release a cover tune! Lots of respect there. Not even the Beatles, Stones or Zep do that!

I think you are being a bit unfair here IMHO. Every Brit band from the 60's showed and owed a hell of a lot to the influence of American Rock and Roll and Blues music. I think taking influences then creating your own sound and style has always been part of innovation in music.

Yes Nigel beats ,rips,burns Pagey and Alex hands down.He has a better guitar collection too.

But I think it would sound better in Dobly

Alex, Page, Clapton and even Hendrix never had a Speedometer on their guitar like Nigel.

And Tuffnel also writes wonderful emotive sad beautiful ballads on piano like "Lick my love pump"

Dazed and Confused, though I think it's probably only the 5th best song on the debut.

Zep's first is so much better than Rush's first in every conceivable way.

• Like 1

Well Rush were very influenced by Zep in the early days, but then Neil came in after John Rutsey and blew Alex' and Geddy's mind and they started to follow a Prog direction XXXX

Got your member title right there: Captain Obvious.

These verbal slaps are starting to hurt Tony!!

Well Rush were very influenced by Zep in the early days, but then Neil came in after John Rutsey and blew Alex' and Geddy's mind and they started to follow a Prog direction XXXX

Good. Trolls need a slapping from time to time. Keeps them honest.

• Like 1

Arguments on plagiarism/inspiration/innovation aside, I prefer Dazed and Confused to Working Man overall, although I really love the instrumental middle section in Working Man much more, so it's nearly a tie.
  • Like 1

I'm not a troll :( :(

An arsehole and dickhead yes, but not a troll

Arguments on plagiarism/inspiration/innovation aside, I prefer Dazed and Confused to Working Man overall, although I really love the instrumental middle section in Working Man much more, so it's nearly a tie.

Why do we have to have these polls? It is all subjective surely?

A bit pointless but what the hell do I know?

I love Rush maybe more than Zep but both are great bands.

Steve

Also for all of my faults and failings you will never find a more honest bloke than me Tony

Also for all of my faults and failings you will never find a more honest bloke than me Tony

Tony is not looking for honesty in his relationships