Vapor Trails: Regular Vs Remixed?

Carvan Alex

The cover on the remix version is much more colorful.

Oh...and in my opinion, the overall sound is much improved also.

The songs are still mediocre. Except for "Ceiling Unlimited" which is superb.

Even the remixed cover was a tragic mistake for me, the original clearly referencing the twin towers 9/11 attack. by taking the towers out is like denying the history of the album and environment was born in

Even the remixed cover was a tragic mistake for me, the original clearly referencing the twin towers 9/11 attack. by taking the towers out is like denying the history of the album and environment was born in

The towers? I don't see them.

I don't either. Looking at the litho (original cover) right now. Musket being fired from the barrel of a gun maybe or a fireball running away from something.

I see more of a 9/11 reference to the original Dream Theater's Live Scenes From New York (before it was pulled in the US ) although it was clearly not intended to be one at all.

Prefer the original, agree about the mastering, but feel that the energy, passion and anger is missing from the remix. Also possibly the worst kick drum sound ever recorded is used on the remix throughout the album.. What was he thinking!

I can't imagine why he put the kick drum way up front like that. It's really annoying.

Dude take the booklet outa the box open it out holding it vertical. It's the towers with fireball between em for sure.

Dude take the booklet outa the box open it out holding it vertical. It's the towers with fireball between em for sure.

I guess if that's what you see, okay. To my eyes that's a long shot.

• Like 1

I have the version of the original mix from HD Tracks back I think from 2013 before the remix came out and this particular version is my favorite. The mix is still muddy but it is remastered and there is no brickwalling or clipping coming from the mastering stage, it is actually listenable and it just had a more natural raw sound to it. The remix is too artificial sounding, especially with the drums

I think the big problem with Vt's sound is neither the mixing nor mastering, but the fact that the individual instruments were recorded too "hot" and probably maxed out the wave amplitude.

Once that has been done, there is only so much mixing and mastering can do to fix the problem, and the only way to truly rectify it would be to actually physically re-record the album at a lower volume, then mix and master afterwards.

of course that is never going to happen.....

• Like 2

I compare the original VT to St.Anger in overall sound,not songriting.I like listening to those albums when im drunk.The remix opened up different sounds and subleties that were buried on the original.However the remix does lack fire in places and nothings going to save tracks like Freeze,probably my least fave Rush song.

Depends on the songs, I find. But I do enjoy the "less noisy" versions for the most part.

Actually...in the case of One Little Victory, I actually found that I enjoyed the "Retrospective 3" version the best of the three. The bass sounded fantastic on it IMO.

I Agree, the Retropective 3 versions of the Vapor Trails tracks were far more punchy than the Original and the 2013 Remix.

I've always wondered why Rich Chycki didn't remix the whole album - Alex Lifeson did once say that he wanted Rich Chycki to remix the album along with maybe Signals.

So how come David Botrill ended up with the job?

www.soundcloud.com/jack-morris-16

If listening to a song or two, I like the punch of the original mix. If listening to the entire album, I like the remaster. Too much of the original mix makes my head hurt, and I love most the songs.

I've preferred, and been listening to "Vapor Trails (Remixed) (2013)". I've liked, and enjoyed it a lot more, than the original.

I know I have commented on this in other threads but the remix just doesn't have the punch and raw sound. It is such an emotional bunch of songs and it kicks you in the gut. What they went through to record, heck even to get back in the studio together.. I love the original, remix is neutered for me.
  • Like 2

I know I have commented on this in other threads but the remix just doesn't have the punch and raw sound. It is such an emotional bunch of songs and it kicks you in the gut. What they went through to record, heck even to get back in the studio together.. I love the original, remix is neutered for me.

exactly, and the bass is mixed way too high Edited by _hi_water._
  • Like 1

exactly, and the bass is mixed way too high

The bass on that record (original) can never be mixed too high.