Vapor Trails: Regular Vs Remixed?

Carvan Alex

Today, while getting over an allergy cold (I have bad allergies), I listened to Vapor Trails, but it wasn't the regular- it was a remix. What makes this different between the old 2002 version and the 2013 remix? Now, I did some homework on this, and when they were mixing it, Geddy and Alex had a hard time with the distortions, and deciding HOW to mix it, as well as how it took 14 months to finish it (part of it was caused by Neil's tragedies). So, what am I missing here?

What's the question?

I was just wondering what is the difference between the 2013 remix Vapor Trails and 2002 version

Sorry sometimes we forget our manners around new guy. I'm not a musical instrument playing person more a three time shirtless air guitar world champion, nor am I record producer like Phill Spectrum. Obviously by the title they went back and remixed the album.

I find the music less distorted, I hear the individual instruments more clearly and cleaner, I subtleties in sounds not present before. Making the songs more interesting and enjoyable yet still hard, the band reaching back to metal roots.

• Like 5

What's the question?

I was just wondering what is the difference between the 2013 remix Vapor Trails and 2002 version

Are you wanting specific technical answers or just in general? Are you wanting specific technical answers or just in general? JRs gave a basic rundown. They still used the same basic tracks as the original release but they had a different engineer remix those basic tracks to have less sonic overlap.

What's the question?

The difference between the old and new version is that the old one gives you a serious headache every time you listen to it. And the remix sounds great and is one of their best albums modern time (2002-2017).

• Like 7

Beyond the general sound, in the remix you can clearly hear that different parts are brought forward or buried. The solo on Ceiling Unlimited comes to mind as an example. For me, sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

• Like 1

Beyond the general sound, in the remix you can clearly hear that different parts are brought forward or buried. The solo on Ceiling Unlimited comes to mind as an example. For me, sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

That was my fave part of that song from the original mix -- that power chord "solo." Adding that noodly outtake-ish solo back in, on top of those power chords, ruined it for me.

• Like 1

Parts of vt remixed better like ged's bass especially in ghost rider and secret touch but overall the goof-ups in remixed make it hard for me to choose over original now, to point where i've made a playlist with only OLV remixed making the cut really (which defo beats original for me)

The main goof up is the error in what maybe called 'engineering' for me in peaceable kingdom, a total blight on the whole album for me and in my view defo shouldnt be there at roundabout 2.38 and 4.38 into the track, just an awful distortion sound like tearing paper in the background or if an amp was giving out. Not an expert on this but the noise is defo an error for me and unforgivable.

The rest of remixed can take or leave but most of the omission/additions unnecessary for me. For instance that bit alex does in original ceiling unlimited after 'if laughter is a straw for a drowning man' is pretty much essential to me and just taken out in remixed. Also secret touch destroyed by too many way out way ins and nocturne been decimated way too stuttery compared to original.

I wish the remix producer had just clarified geds bass and whatever instruments he could to be honest but the peaceable kingdom thing turned me right off totally unforgivable amateurish mistake.

Edited by lifeson90
  • Like 2

The obvious difference between the two is the muddiness and the distortion. A lot of that distortion that people object to on the 2002 release has to do more with the mastering than the mixing. These days, record companies want the CD's as loud as possible (for some reason) which pushes the mastering into using more and more compression. I think it just got away from them in this case.
  • Like 1

That was my fave part of that song from the original mix -- that power chord "solo." Adding that noodly outtake-ish solo back in, on top of those power chords, ruined it for me.

That's interesting. I remember when the remix came out that a lot of people liked that added bit. But I like the original album, and Alex's minimalist approach is part of why I like it. It's a different approach for him, but it fit the mood of the album as a whole.
  • Like 3

Prefer the original, agree about the mastering, but feel that the energy, passion and anger is missing from the remix. Also possibly the worst kick drum sound ever recorded is used on the remix throughout the album.. What was he thinking!
  • Like 6

Thanks you guys for giving me your answers regarding this topic! It all makes sense to me now, especially about the complications on taking 14 months to make this album.
  • Like 1

Thanks you guys for giving me your answers regarding this topic! It all makes sense to me now, especially about the complications on taking 14 months to make this album.

I think you'll find this to be a cool place to talk about all things RUSH.

Go Dodgers!

• Like 1

Prefer the original, agree about the mastering, but feel that the energy, passion and anger is missing from the remix. Also possibly the worst kick drum sound ever recorded is used on the remix throughout the album.. What was he thinking!

:LOL:

I agree that the "painful" listening experience of the original is part of the point. Personally, I love the grit and honesty of it.

• Like 2