Double side concept album

Steve Smith

Rush have never done a double sided studio album

But I would love to see them do a double sided "concept" album again with one song throughout and only release it on vinyl or for download only, bypassing CD and MP3

Wouldn't it be wonderful? I think that would be just amazing to see how they would work together to produce another concept album after all of these years.

Or an I just being a nostalgic old fart?

Happy to dicuss

Steve

• Like 1

Why would they bypass releasing it on CD and MP3? Those are the two most popular formats right now. They would make no money off it. I know you're talking about making it old school with the whole two sided thing. But they're really not capitalizing on the entire market by making it a vinyl only release.

I would love if the band did that for a final album. But I think they left that stuff behind after Hemispheres because they really didn't have the desire to write really long musical pieces anymore. I don't want them writing something like that just to do it if their hearts aren't in it.

• Like 1

I would argue that Rush's only "concept" album is Clockwork Angels. A few Rush albums have a theme, like Power Windows and Snakes & Arrows, but no concept.

I'd argue most Rush albums have a theme, but yeah only CA is full on concept.

Why would they bypass releasing it on CD and MP3? Those are the two most popular formats right now. They would make no money off it. I know you're talking about making it old school with the whole two sided thing. But they're really not capitalizing on the entire market by making it a vinyl only release.

I would love if the band did that for a final album. But I think they left that stuff behind after Hemispheres because they really didn't have the desire to write really long musical pieces anymore. I don't want them writing something like that just to do it if their hearts aren't in it.

Idk, they seemed to really be proud of breaking the seven minute mark again on CA, they might be into that again.

I would argue that Rush's only "concept" album is Clockwork Angels. A few Rush albums have a theme, like Power Windows and Snakes & Arrows, but no concept.

When I think about it I see your point.

• Like 3

They did that on CA, although of course they released across many platforms.

But I assume the OP is talking about a singular song like Hemispheres rather than a series of songs following a story like CA.

Who knows what they might do. I wouldn't wait on Neil, if he's done he's done. If he wants to record only than that's great too.

I'm up for a Lee/Lifeson concept album or any other music they offer.

As long as they didn't do a Tales From Topographic Oceans on us.

I love Yes but that is the only 70s Yes cd i don't have.I still have the vinyl in pristine condition from when i bought it 30+ years ago because its hardly been played.Now don't mention Metal Machine Music.

With the run time of CA, it would have been a double CD in the 70's or early 80's. Does that count?

I was thinking this

As long as they didn't do a Tales From Topographic Oceans on us.

Dear God, what a waste of time that was for me listening to that. YES fans rave about it so I gave the whole thing 3 or 4 listens figuring I was missing something and I always came away with a :wtf:

My favourite prog album and one of my desert island discs...I can't imagine how any fan of Yes could NOT love Tales...

• Like 1

Hi Segue

Nice to know you are doing OK XXXX

Take care, there are people who care about you here and in your life.

Just keep trying to get better friend, I have suffered terribly with depression in the past but have managed to climb out of it somewhat.

Just understand that you are not alone in the way you feel.

Take care

Stevie

I love Yes but that is the only 70s Yes cd i don't have.I still have the vinyl in pristine condition from when i bought it 30+ years ago because its hardly been played.Now don't mention Metal Machine Music.

Hahaha, Metal Machine Music...(hey, we didn't mention it- you did!). Yeah, that album is a serious head-scratcher.

I love Tales. Certainly among the cream of the crop of Yes albums...and that truly is saying something.

Signed,

blue j's opinion

Hi Segue

Nice to know you are doing OK XXXX

Take care, there are people who care about you here and in your life.

Just keep trying to get better friend, I have suffered terribly with depression in the past but have managed to climb out of it somewhat.

Just understand that you are not alone in the way you feel.

Take care

Stevie

I'm not at all doing well. Just trying yo keep it off this forum. This week's been up but it's gone down again today. Thank you Steve.

When I think about it I see your point.

After each release Neil generally writes about the thematic connections of the songs. For example,re: P/G from RUSH.com:

The album’s running theme is “pressure” and how humans act under the influence of it.

http://www.rush.com/albums/grace-under-pressure/

Here's a past thread on the topic: http://www.therushfo...hemes-concepts/

Edited by goose