Cygnus Book 2

Steve Smith

Thanks dude you are so right:-)

The chord is an F sharp 7 sus 4 which is not in the traditional voicing of a bar on the second fret then the C sharp on the A string and the B note on the G string.

It is simply an F sharp major without the bar and the thumb covering the F sharp root note on the low E string allowing the open B and top E to ring out.

Without chorus or reverb or EQ it sounds like shit, but with the sound Alex built up with use of effects and the right guitar and not overdriving that Hiwatt too much it is an amazing sound.

Very sorry if I have "over analysed" this piece. I think that it is all about "feel" and understanding dynamics and "expression"

The guitar is such an idiosyncratic instrument with so many different ways to play the same thing and so many voicings.

I think that is what makes it unique, and Alex is one of the greatest exponents of all time IMHO.

Take care dude

Stevie :-)

• Like 1

Thanks dude you are so right:-)

The chord is an F sharp 7 sus 4 which is not in the traditional voicing of a bar on the second fret then the C sharp on the A string and the B note on the G string.

Or you could call it an F#11 and be done.

Hi Jarg

I honestly was not trying to be a "clever smug shite" please understand.

At the end of the day it is all about "feel" and empathy with your fellow band members.

When I was a kid I was fortunate enough to get in a little school band with a super drummer and bass player who loved Neil and Geddy.

We jammed some of the stuff from AFTK up to PW and I had no idea what time signatures I was playing, we just had to "feel" it.

It was only after we listened to the recording on a little prehistoric 4-Track Tascam Portastudio that we could say - "Oh yeah that bit is in 7/4 and the other bit in 6/4"

So I agree that we should not over analyse things.

Hope you understand where I am coming from

Best Regards

Stevie

Hi Jarg

At the end of the day it is all about "feel" and empathy with your fellow band members.

When I was a kid I was fortunate enough to get in a little school band with a super drummer and bass player who loved Neil and Geddy.

We jammed some of the stuff from AFTK up to PW and I had no idea what time signatures I was playing, we just had to "feel" it.

It was only after we listened to the recording on a little prehistoric 4-Track Tascam Portastudio that we could say - "Oh yeah that bit is in 7/4 and the other bit in 6/4"

Best Regards

Stevie

I think you over-analyzed my post. :)

• Like 1

Ha ha

Thanks Jarg, you sound like a very intelligent guy and I apologise for my sarcastic remark

I think it was Oscar Wilde who once said in a restaurant that "sarcasm is the lowest form of wit"

A very wise quote just before he said "Waiter, come in the back with me and get your trousers off"

Yes that is a nice request but I think I will pass on your offer if that is OK?

Thanks

Steve

Hi Jarg

Best Regards

Stevie

Here's an instrumental of mine which way over-uses that marvelous chord.

http://youtu.be/_Zyyo5JgOi0

• Like 3

f***ing brilliant dude!!!!

Love the progressions!

Did you programme the bass and drums or were they real players?

Drums are programmed, bass is real.

• Like 1

Can I send you a track of mine please?

Hey, Steve, you may want to start using the quote button on the bottom right. That makes it easy to track a conversation.
  • Like 1