Cygnus Book 2

Steve Smith

Hello all

I am listening to Hemispheres Cygnus X1 book 2 and I just feel that it is the band's greatest masterpiece. 2112 was a wonderful piece and work of art but the band took it to a higher level on Hemispheres

Certainly Alex' epiphany. The sounds he creates are just wonderful and sublime and his use of different techniques and guitar styles are just awesome. As a guitar player I do not think guitar work gets any better than this.

Perhaps I am being a bit nostalgic but I truly believe this was just about their greatest moment.

Happy to agree or disagree, the great thing is that we all love this wonderful band so much and everyone can express their views and opinions.

Steve

• Like 9

Hello all

I am listening to Hemispheres Cygnus X1 book 2 and I just feel that it is the band's greatest masterpiece. 2112 was a wonderful piece and work of art but the band took it to a higher level on Hemispheres

Certainly Alex' epiphany. The sounds he creates are just wonderful and sublime and his use of different techniques and guitar styles are just awesome. As a guitar player I do not think guitar work gets any better than this.

Perhaps I am being a bit nostalgic but I truly believe this was just about their greatest moment.

Happy to agree or disagree, the great thing is that we all love this wonderful band so much and everyone can express their views and opinions.

Steve

You're going to have no problem finding people on this board sharing their love for Book II. :D

• Like 1

Another fan in agreement... Hemispheres is the pinnacle of Rush's writing, musicianship and studio production (Thank you, Terry B!)
  • Like 3

The band were holed up in Rockfield Studios in North Wales for the recording of this album.

I believe Neil went walking around the North Wales countryside to get inspiration (sorry I may be wrong).

Terry Brown made that incredible start of the track possible. He put everything through flanging and phasing and EQ on the desk in the mix to try to replicate what the band were trying to achieve.

That swirling start represents the passing through the Vortex of the black hole into a parallel universe. And Alex' wonderful F sharp 7 suspended 4th chord with all of the power and chorus effect and EQ and echo ringing out so strongly symbolises the release of power once the Rocinante passes through the abyss

Sorry just my take on things fellow fans X

Steve

• Like 1

My only problem with Book II is that it could have been longer - make Hemispheres a double album !!

I have memory and awareness . . . : that section could have gone on for 15 minutes and I would have loved it

:LOL:

Agreed Steve, Book II is a masterpiece .. And for me, when I think of Rush, I think this period in their career

• Like 2

Also to add... Alex's playing on Hemispheres IS the highlight for me. And, that extends to side two of the album as well. I don't think you'll find a more original and incredible guitar solo in all of rock music that is heard on La VS.
  • Like 2

I've seen 28 concerts since 1976 and the Tour of the Hemispheres is the one I remember most and believe to be their best concert, easily. Does anyone recall seeing the pink and blue lights streaming down during that epic?

Disagree. Book I is better. 2112 is better. NatSci is better. Xanadu is better. La Villa is better. Jacob's Ladder is better.

I will take it over By-Tor, The Necromancer, TCE, and...maybe over Fountain though, but most of those are more fun than it anyway.

That said, it's still a five star work on a five star album. I just think it doesn't gel the way it aught to, album included.

Disagree. Book I is better. 2112 is better. NatSci is better. Xanadu is better. La Villa is better. Jacob's Ladder is better.

I will take it over By-Tor, The Necromancer, TCE, and...maybe over Fountain though, but most of those are more fun than it anyway.

That said, it's still a five star work on a five star album. I just think it doesn't gel the way it aught to, album included.

Definitely over the Fountain. That piece is waaaaay overtated by this forum. In fact after 30 years I never heard anyone say anything positive about it. Then I joined TRF.

Definitely over the Fountain. That piece is waaaaay overtated by this forum. In fact after 30 years I never heard anyone say anything positive about it. Then I joined TRF.

Hm, didacts and narpets is poorly executed, panacea is a little overlong and boring, Bacchus plateau is no more enjoyable than I think I'm going bald or lakeside park...but no one at the bridge and the bookends of the song are so good!

Hello all

Steve

It's definitely my favorite. I think they hit their peak with Hemispheres.

• Like 1

I would agree with you. Hemispheres is the pinnacle of their career and Book II is the best of that. I agree with Lucas that it just wasn't long enough. Double album would have been perfect.
  • Like 3

Hemispheres is my second fave Rush album after Permanent Waves. Hemispheres is their most prog album. I prefer the side 2 of this album(Circumstances, The Trees, La Villa). Cygnus Hemispheres is a very good epic, but at moments repetitive(it doesn't hold my attention all the time) and for me it lowers the quality of this long song a bit, so I will rate this epic with 4/5 stars.

2112, Xanadu, Cygnus part 1, The Necromancer, Natural Science and La Villa are all more interesting and better epics than Hemispheres. But first 3 instrumental minutes of Hemispheres are superb and so musically exciting.

Edited by Texas King
  • Like 2

Geddy standing at his OBX, dry ice slowly sliding to the front of the stage... dim blue and pink lights... and he's singing... "I have memory and awareness, but I have no shape or form... as a disembodied spirit, I am dead and yet unborn." This is the top shelf for me... Oh, I should add... at this point Alex is off-stage for a quick smoke break!
  • Like 2

I would agree with you. Hemispheres is the pinnacle of their career and Book II is the best of that. I agree with Lucas that it just wasn't long enough. Double album would have been perfect.

Yes, y'er goddam right!!! A double album for Hemispheres... that would have saved me from having to buy Topographic Oceans from Yes.

• Like 1

Yes, y'er goddam right!!! A double album for Hemispheres... that would have saved me from having to buy Topographic Oceans from Yes.

:LOL:

I think the argument can be made that the run of Hemispheres Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures was a collective peak for Rush. Alex's guitar sounds a little distorted and muffled at time on book 2 so I give the nod to Permanrnt Waves as his best performance on a Rush album. It's such a crisp recording and Alex's guitar is crystal clear and dominates from the start

I like how on AFTK at the end of book1 they were confident enough that the story was going to continue.Wonder if plans were already on the way for book2.Hemisheres was my first Rush album and still one of my favourites though i do agree book 2 does get a little repetive mid way.
  • Like 1