Rare Rush stuff

Steve Smith

Hi All

I have the PW album on vinyl with the original "Dewey Defeats Truman" headline before it was banned. That is pretty cool

I also have the 12 inch single 45rpm with Spirit of Radio, The Trees and Working Man on side B. That is not particularly rare but it is a nice piece.

Does anyone have any really rare Rush stuff?

Maybe the first album on Moon records or some limited edition Japanese import, things like that.

Thanks

Steve

• Like 1

Hi All

I have the PW album on vinyl with the original "Dewey Defeats Truman" headline before it was banned. That is pretty cool

I also have the 12 inch single 45rpm with Spirit of Radio, The Trees and Working Man on side B. That is not particularly rare but it is a nice piece.

Does anyone have any really rare Rush stuff?

Maybe the first album on Moon records or some limited edition Japanese import, things like that.

Thanks

Steve

Yes.

• Like 1

Hi All

That is pretty cool. PeW is my favorite. I do have the new vinyl remasters (all of them) and they sound amazing.

• Like 2

Years ago i had thousands of vinyl.lps and promotional stuff because i worked in a couple of record stores.All gone now due to err....circumstances but i didn't have much Rush stuff because they weren't that popular here in Oz(they should have toured here in their heyday ,they would have killed them).But i do remember i had Hemispheres in red vinyl,Rush Through Time pic disc,Vital Signs live single on both sides,Prime,Mover 3D cover 12" ep,Moving Pictures white label ,promotional in store posters for MP,PoW and(HUGE)Signals.I remember the Signals poster and Ted Nugent Weekend Warriors posters took up nearly a whole wall.I suppose all this pales in comparision to a lot of collecters here like on the Led Zeppelin.site my past collection was paltry but i did have the Object or whatever it was from Presence.I found it in a box upstairs at the record shop.The boss said take it away.Oh i have a one track cd Superconductor "somewhere"???
  • Like 4

I am so glad that I kept all of my vinyl records and two turntables, both really well made Technics stuff from the mid 80's. The Hi Fi from the 70's and 80's was so much better build quality than the stuff now.

So many friends and people I speak to now got rid of their vinyl collection years ago and really regret it now.

Don't mean to sound smug but never get rid of stuff that is important to you, stick it away in the attic for the future.

Vinyl is cool again now I have heard, but I don't follow cool, never have done.

The coolest people are those who don't give a shit and never wish to be or try to be cool :-) :-)

My greatest regret gear wise was selling a Fender Twin Reverb in the late 80's for 200 quid when I was skint. I had bought it in 82 for £150 and it was immaculate from the late 60's with the silver façade. God knows how much that amp would be worth now.

I also had an original series 1 Ibanez Tube Screamer with the square on/off switch and the same version analogue Ibanez chorus pedal that I let go. The pro rock guitar guys go mad for those original pedals now!!

Ah well... if I had a Degree in hindsight! ha ha

Steve

• Like 1

Hi Catherine

Nice to see you here again

I was very lucky

Rush was "the band!!!" for prog fans in 1980 in my part of the world in North East England. I got in on the first day of release in UK (had to queue at HMV for 2 hours)

Less than a week later the stuff hit the fan!

Love

Stevie :-)

• Like 1

Slightly off subject Steve but i have two Fender Twin Reverb blackfaces from the mid 60s that were sitting in a shed for about ten years plus.Amazing the vermon didn't do any major damage and both work.One is in the shop getting an overhaul.I don't sell anything now and i relunctantly throw anything out.I have 23 Amps and guitars,pedals,etc everywhere.I have been a homeless alcoholic in the past and the only was up.Now back to rare Rush stuff i also had a had a test pressing of Hold Your Fire,but thats about it.
  • Like 1

I understand dude

We all have to go through the depths to experience the highs

I actually think that is pretty cool that you lived on the streets for a while. Arnel Pineda was a homeless kid in Phillipenes and now he is the lead singer with Journey.

I did not have a pot to piss in when I was 32, had spent the last 15 years trying to make it in the music biz.

I managed to get a social housing apartment and a low paid desk job. Bought it in 1999 for £7k and sold it for £70k in 2005. I also bought a couple of cheap properties for rent and sold them a while back.

Keep a hold of your Fender Amps, get them restored.

I had my Marshall JMP100 1974 model restored a few years ago and it is priceless

KR's

Steve

What do we consider rare? I mean I have the first Canadian pressing of Permanent Waves (ANR-1-1021) with the headline "Dewei Defeats Truman" or does yours actually have "Dewey Defeats Truman" in the headline space? If it does it truly is a rare gem and you should upload photographs. I have only ever seen "Dewei Defeats Truman" or the blanked out headline. I am willing to believe the Dewey version exists, but I personally have never seen it.

As for my rarities:

RUSH - Self Titled - 1st Canadian Mercury press (SRM-1-1011) NOT MOON original press, but with Moon logo on back of jacket, RED RUSH (not pink) logo and red mercury labels rather than the customary skyline of the 1st US issue and subsequent pressings.

Fly By Night - 1st Canadian press on Mercury (not Anthem) SRM-1-1023

Permanent Waves - 1st Canadian press (ANR-1-1021) with "Dewei Defeats Truman" headline.

Roll The Bones - German vinyl pressing from 1991 (7567-82293-1)

Counterparts - Brazilian vinyl pressing from 1993 (782528-1)

Vapor Trails - US 1st issue vinyl pressing from 2002 (83531-1)

Snakes & Arrows - US 1st issue vinyl pressing from 2007 (177 084-1)

I also have very hard to find promo singles for Test For Echo, Virtuality, Nobody's Hero, The Pass, Far Cry, Working Them Angels, The Larger Bowl, and Headlong Flight as well as many UK and Canadian (Anthem) commercial 7" singles, although I am missing the biggies (meaning hardest to find).

I don't know how rare people consider these, but I also have all of the RUSH albums on Canadian Anthem original mastering CDs, although none as ANC-1-10XX (denotes 1st press) until Power Windows which unfortunately I only have as a Columbia House release on CD. Mine are all WANK-10XX or VANK-10XX except 2112 which is a ANMD-1004 and considered more desirable than the VANK-1004. I have all the remaining albums on CD as 1st press original issues from Anthem Canada except for Different Stages which I stupidly only have a US version and the Japanese version (with Force Ten). I should remedy that, but it is low priority so I am always buying other stuff instead. Incidentally Permanent Waves VANK-1021, has the "Dewei Defeats Truman" headline as well!

As far as Canadian 1st press vinyl goes, I have everything from Farewell To Kings to Presto as Anthem original pressings, but I am missing the poster on Hemispheres and the condition of Farewell to Kings isn't up to my standards. I am missing 1st Canadian pressings of Caress Of Steel (SRM-1-1046) on Mercury, 2112 (SRM-1-1079) on Mercury, and All The World's A Stage (SRM-2-7508) on Mercury. I have 1st US pressings of all of those, but I am looking for the more rare Canadian Mercury pressings (before Anthem 1977 re-releases) of those albums. I also have Chronicles as a German 1st press vinyl. As far as I know that album did not get a Canadian vinyl release on Anthem. If you know for a fact that it was released on vinyl in Canada, please let me know.

Please feel free to PM me with anything rare you might have that you willing to part with. I am always on the lookout for Canadian Anthem 7" singles with picture sleeves, rare promo CDs (especially recent) and original Canadian pressings both on vinyl & CD. I am not that interested in gimmicky releases such as picture discs like the Hemispheres picture disc or releases on coloured vinyl. I like original first pressings from Canada & the UK/EU.

Edited by diatribein
  • Like 2

What do we consider rare? I mean I have the first Canadian pressing of Permanent Waves (ANR-1-1021) with the headline "Dewei Defeats Truman" or does yours actually have "Dewey Defeats Truman" in the headline space? If it does it truly is a rare gem and you should upload photographs. I have only ever seen "Dewei Defeats Truman" or the blanked out headline. I am willing to believe the Dewey version exists, but I personally have never seen it.

As for my rarities:

RUSH - Self Titled - 1st Canadian Mercury press (SRM-1-1011) NOT MOON original press, but with Moon logo on back of jacket, RED RUSH (not pink) logo and red mercury labels rather than the customary skyline of the 1st US issue and subsequent pressings.

Fly By Night - 1st Canadian press on Mercury (not Anthem) SRM-1-1023

Permanent Waves - 1st Canadian press (ANR-1-1021) with "Dewei Defeats Truman" headline.

Roll The Bones - German vinyl pressing from 1991 (7567-82293-1)

Counterparts - Brazilian vinyl pressing from 1993 (782528-1)

Vapor Trails - US 1st issue vinyl pressing from 2002 (83531-1)

Snakes & Arrows - US 1st issue vinyl pressing from 2007 (177 084-1)

I also have very hard to find promo singles for Test For Echo, Virtuality, Nobody's Hero, The Pass, Far Cry, Working Them Angels, The Larger Bowl, and Headlong Flight as well as many UK and Canadian (Anthem) commercial 7" singles, although I am missing the biggies (meaning hardest to find).

I don't know how rare people consider these, but I also have all of the RUSH albums on Canadian Anthem original mastering CDs, although none as ANC-1-10XX (denotes 1st press) until Power Windows which unfortunately I only have as a Columbia House release on CD. Mine are all WANK-10XX or VANK-10XX except 2112 which is a ANMD-1004 and considered more desirable than the VANK-1004. I have all the remaining albums on CD as 1st press original issues from Anthem Canada except for Different Stages which I stupidly only have a US version and the Japanese version (with Force Ten). I should remedy that, but it is low priority so I am always buying other stuff instead. Incidentally Permanent Waves VANK-1021, has the "Dewei Defeats Truman" headline as well!

As far as Canadian 1st press vinyl goes, I have everything from Farewell To Kings to Presto as Anthem original pressings, but I am missing the poster on Hemispheres and the condition of Farewell to Kings isn't up to my standards. I am missing 1st Canadian pressings of Caress Of Steal (SRM-1-1046) on Mercury, 2112 (SRM-1-1079) on Mercury, and All The World's A Stage (SRM-2-7508) on Mercury. I have 1st US pressings of all of those, but I am looking for the more rare Canadian Mercury pressings (before Anthem 1977 re-releases) of those albums. I also have Chronicles as a German 1st press vinyl. As far as I know that album did not get a Canadian vinyl release on Anthem. If you know for a fact that it was released on vinyl in Canada, please let me know.

Please feel free to PM me with anything rare you might have that you willing to part with. I am always on the lookout for Canadian Anthem 7" singles with picture sleeves, rare promo CDs (especially recent) and original Canadian pressings both on vinyl & CD. I am not that interested in gimmicky releases such as picture discs like the Hemispheres picture disc or releases on coloured vinyl. I like original first pressings from Canada & the UK/EU.

You are correct, I have checked and my copy is Dewei. I apologise for my mistake, I did not realise that, I thought there was only 1 headline before it was blanked. However I did queue for two hours to get the first day release at HMV in UK.

KR's

Steve

Thanks

I would never have known that. The wording is very small and without a magnifying glass the i looks like a y

Well there you go, I thought I had something rare but never mind :-)

Steve

You shouldn't feel bad about it! I mean the original Canadian first press is still a nice item to have and fairly rare. I don't think Dewey Defeats Truman even actually exists. So the one you have should be considered the definitive original copy of the album.

• Like 1