Your top 5 the 80's Rush synth songs(Signals - Hold Your Fire)?

Texas King

I don't put Signals in The Snyth Era so here are mine.

1. The Big Money

2. Marathon

3. Time Stand Still

4. Manhattan Project

5. Mystic Rhythms

• Like 1

Difficult, but based on those albums here's one possible five in no specific order:

1. Prime Mover

2. Territories

3. The Analog Kid

4. The Enemy Within

5. Kid Gloves

Those that shuffle into that five frequently (but not this particular minute):

Subdivisions

Countdown

Manhattan Project

Middletown Dreams

Grand Designs

The Weapon

1. The Big Money

2. Marathon

3. Time Stand Still

4. Manhattan Project

5. Mystic Rhythms

...how? It's literally one of their top three most synth filled albums, and the only one of those top three where the guitar really gets blocked out by the sytnth parts regularly.

Anyway great thread...here's my attempt at a list:

Marathon

Red Sector A

Distant Early Warning

The Analogue Kid

Subdivisions

1. The Big Money

2. Marathon

3. Time Stand Still

4. Manhattan Project

5. Mystic Rhythms

...how? It's literally one of their top three most synth filled albums, and the only one of those top three where the guitar really gets blocked out by the sytnth parts regularly.

This is just my humble opinion. When I listen to Signals I still hear the Broone Era. The album is certainly a harbinger of what is to come. Yet the snyth still compliments the traditional instruments. Then comes GUP where to this day the snyth sounds almost jarring, seemingly overwhelming the strings and drums. Then The Snyth Era has begun for me.

• Like 4

1. The Big Money

2. Marathon

3. Time Stand Still

4. Manhattan Project

5. Mystic Rhythms

This is just my humble opinion. When I listen to Signals I still hear the Broone Era. The album is certainly a harbinger of what is to come. Yet the snyth still compliments the traditional instruments. Then comes GUP where to this day the snyth sounds almost jarring, seemingly overwhelming the strings and drums. Then The Snyth Era has begun for me.

Well, I suppose I can't change what you hear, nor would I wish to. To me Signals is very much a synth era album.

• Like 1

In no particular order

1) Subdivisions

2) Red Sector A

3) Middletown Dreams

4) Mission

5) The Analog Kid

1. The Big Money

2. Marathon

3. Time Stand Still

4. Manhattan Project

5. Mystic Rhythms

I can’t disagree with that. Grace Under Pressure was when Rush really jumped the proverbial “Shark" with many of their pioneer fans. No doubt about it. I remember the era well and having friends who were die hard Rush fans....abandon the band.

Too bad for them.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 2

1. The Big Money

2. Marathon

3. Time Stand Still

4. Manhattan Project

5. Mystic Rhythms

I actually agree with this. I consider the synth era P/G through Hold Your Fire. Certainly Signals is synthy, but I too hear it as a Terry Brown production first. I mean, Moving Pictures, which I've been listening to frequently over the past few days, has quite a bit of synth. I do not hear a jarring transition between Moving Pictures and Signals. But I do hear a jarring transition between Signals and P/G. Vital Signs flows pretty seamlessly into Subdivisions if you play those records consecutively.

• Like 4

1. The Big Money

2. Marathon

3. Time Stand Still

4. Manhattan Project

5. Mystic Rhythms

I actually agree with this. I consider the synth era P/G through Hold Your Fire. Certainly Signals is synthy, but I too hear it as a Terry Brown production first. I mean, Moving Pictures, which I've been listening to frequently over the past few days, has quite a bit of synth. I do not hear a jarring transition between Moving Pictures and Signals. But I do hear a jarring transition between Signals and P/G. Vital Signs flows pretty seamlessly into Subdivisions if you play those records consecutively.

I think Grace actually has more guitar, but the production is very cold and bright compared to the (overly) warm Signals. It is a stark contrast.
  • Like 1