Happy 37th Permanent Waves

Mr. JD

Permanent Waves was released on January 14th, 1980. 37 years ago today. To honor his occasion, I listened to this today;

lhttp://www.jd-photography.net/pics/IMG_3947.JPG

I'll break out my original LP later and listen to that too!

• Like 6

Great pic Mr JD !!

I'll never forget sitting in the car, on my way to my 2nd guitar lesson, and hearing the DJ say

.. and here's the new one from RUSH

just before that iconic The Spirit Of Radio riff

Happy Birthday Permanent Waves

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

The album that started my love affair with Rush :notworthy:

IMO one of the best albums ever recorded.

And IMO Rush at their untouchable best.

Edited by thirteen

Great pic Mr JD !!

I'll never forget sitting in the car, on my way to my 2nd guitar lesson, and hearing the DJ say

That was in rhe 80's huh?

Hehe

• Like 1

Great pic Mr JD !!

That was in rhe 80's huh?

Hehe

yep, 1980 .. and I can remember complaining to my Dad on the ride there that I didn't want to learn Blowin' In The Wind or Leavin' On A Jet Plane

And Spirit comes on a few minutes later

• Like 1

Hemispheres will always be my number one Rush album, but Permanent Waves will always be a VERY friggin' close number two... I remember playing it for the first time on my stereo at home. I was 17 and a hard core fan. I thought... now this is cool! Very different... I was heavy into odd time signatures at that time and this album fit perfectly with the style of drumming I was playing then.

The album that started my love affair with Rush :notworthy:

IMO one of the best albums ever recorded.

And IMO Rush at their untouchable best.

The only flaw for me is rhat Strings fades out too early.

Yes, Different Strings could have gone on for another two whole minutes! Alex's spooky solo was is so wicked... I wonder what guitar he used on that one? I'm thinking the ES355.

Edited by Thunder Bay Rush

absolutely perfect. in every way. including the packaging. rarely listen to these days as BURNED INTO MY DNA

seriously, if you could unravel one of my dna strands you'd probably get each track from Waves somewhere in it, note perfect.

prefer listening to VT these days for the sheer variety but if i had to introduce someone to our band, i'd defo refer them to Permanent Waves, ideally the vinyl so they could savour the sleeve artwork & lyrics too.

written by men, sent down from the gods. what an album.

• Like 1

I found sites claiming it was released on Jan 1, 7, and 14 1980. I wonder which one is correct. The first was a Tuesday and the 7th and 14th were Mondays

Released in Japan on Dec. 31, Canada and the UK Jan. 1, and the US on Jan. 7,. according to the Chronology book.

However, US new releases in the US were traditionally released on Tuesdays.

absolutely perfect. in every way. including the packaging. rarely listen to these days as BURNED INTO MY DNA

seriously, if you could unravel one of my dna strands you'd probably get each track from Waves somewhere in it, note perfect.

prefer listening to VT these days for the sheer variety but if i had to introduce someone to our band, i'd defo refer them to Permanent Waves, ideally the vinyl so they could savour the sleeve artwork & lyrics too.

written by men, sent down from the gods. what an album.

"but if i had to introduce someone to our band, i'd defo refer them to Permanent Waves"... I always use PeW as a starting point for Rush with someone who's mostly unfamiliar. It's the best of what came before and after, and being recorded in the '70s, is a nice send-off to that fantastic (for Rush) decade!

Happy anniversary to the album that, in some ways, was either the end of the beginning or beginning of the end for the fans expecting another sci-fi slanted opus lp instead of songs about real life. It was a tough transition for me given the first time I heard SOR was on the AM radio dial(I know some of you youngsters may have to google the term "radio dial" to figure out how I had to find a station).

It felt like the secret was out. They were selling what, maybe 200,000 copies of their albums up till then. Now, I would have to share them with millions. Ah, no matter, if their new "style" failed, who knows what it would have meant 37 years later.

Edited by jjgittes