Songs which were played more/less than you would expect

Eel Yddeg

What songs stuck around in the setlists longer than you would expect, or shorter?

Shorter:

The elephant in the room: "Fly By Night" is one of Rush's signature songs, and yet it hasn't been played since the AFTK Tour of 1978.

"Circumstances", with it's catchy chorus and crowd-pleasing mood, could've been a good live track, but it was only played on the Hemispheres and SnA tours.

"New World Man" is Rush's highest charting single, so it's shocking to me that they only played it from 1982-1986 apart from a brief revival in 2002.

"Mystic Rhythms" is a quite popular song from PW, an album that gets a lot of love in setlists, so I was surprised that it was only played on the PW, CP, and R30 tours.

"Show Don't Tell" was a massive radio hit on release, so it not being played since 1994, as opposed to "Presto" and "The Pass" is a shocker.

Despite being a radio hit, "Ghost of a Chance" has only been played on the RtB and SnA Tours.

"Nobody's Hero", "Cold Fire", "Test For Echo", "Half The World" and "Driven" were all rock radio hits, and yet were only played on 1 tour.

Longer:

The elephant in the room: "In The Mood" has never really been a popular song, and is not really a favorite either, plus sticks out like a sore thumb, so why was it played from 1968 (Was written then) all the way through 1990?

"Beneath, Between, and Behind" is definitely not a song i'd expect on the Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures tours, plus the Signals warm ups, given it's obscurity and how demanding it is.

"A Passage To Bangkok" being played in 2007-2008 was a REAL shocker, in a good way.

"Witch Hunt" has always been an obscure track from MP, so the fact it's been played on four tours surprises me.

"Red Lenses" was played on 3 tours, GuP, PW, and HyF, I expected only 1

"Bravado" has been played on the RtB, CP, VT, R30, and CA tours, more than I would expect given it's obscurity.

"Resist" being played on 3 tours, more than all the other big hits from the album, is a surprise to me, same goes for "Leave That Thing Alone" and "Where's My Thing?" also played quite a bit.

"Secret Touch" was played from 2002-2007, which surprises me because of the general lack of VT songs and it's obscurity.

• Like 2

"Fly By Night" was in Geddy's upper register even way back when. He could nail it back then, but over time maybe it was one of the first that became challenging to sing.

I've never seen it stated outright, but I get the feeling sometimes that it's not one of Geddy's favorite songs. When he was on That Metal Show, they had him arrange the first 10 Mercury albums in order of his most favorite to least favorite. Geddy's least favorite album was Fly By Night; he said the song writing was not up to what it was on the other albums.

In some of the interviews for the R40 tour it was mentioned that Alex wanted to try FBN for the ending segment, but Geddy's voice was not up to it without changing registers and changing the song a lot so they went with "Lakeside Park."

• Like 2

What songs stuck around in the setlists longer than you would expect, or shorter?

Shorter:

The elephant in the room: "Fly By Night" is one of Rush's signature songs, and yet it hasn't been played since the AFTK Tour of 1978.

"Circumstances", with it's catchy chorus and crowd-pleasing mood, could've been a good live track, but it was only played on the Hemispheres and SnA tours.

"New World Man" is Rush's highest charting single, so it's shocking to me that they only played it from 1982-1986 apart from a brief revival in 2002.

"Mystic Rhythms" is a quite popular song from PW, an album that gets a lot of love in setlists, so I was surprised that it was only played on the PW, CP, and R30 tours.

"Show Don't Tell" was a massive radio hit on release, so it not being played since 1994, as opposed to "Presto" and "The Pass" is a shocker.

Despite being a radio hit, "Ghost of a Chance" has only been played on the RtB and SnA Tours.

"Nobody's Hero", "Cold Fire", "Test For Echo", "Half The World" and "Driven" were all rock radio hits, and yet were only played on 1 tour.

Longer:

The elephant in the room: "In The Mood" has never really been a popular song, and is not really a favorite either, plus sticks out like a sore thumb, so why was it played from 1968 (Was written then) all the way through 1990?

"Beneath, Between, and Behind" is definitely not a song i'd expect on the Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures tours, plus the Signals warm ups, given it's obscurity and how demanding it is.

"A Passage To Bangkok" being played in 2007-2008 was a REAL shocker, in a good way.

"Witch Hunt" has always been an obscure track from MP, so the fact it's been played on four tours surprises me.

"Red Lenses" was played on 3 tours, GuP, PW, and HyF, I expected only 1

"Bravado" has been played on the RtB, CP, VT, R30, and CA tours, more than I would expect given it's obscurity.

"Resist" being played on 3 tours, more than all the other big hits from the album, is a surprise to me, same goes for "Leave That Thing Alone" and "Where's My Thing?" also played quite a bit.

"Secret Touch" was played from 2002-2007, which surprises me because of the general lack of VT songs and it's obscurity.

Great post Eel,

Damn I don't remember Beneath Between Behind on the MP tour. Wish I did, awesome song. In the Mood was a fun balloon drop end of show type of song, it fitted to how they used it. I think I would include Animate on the longer list. It's a fine song, but would have been interesting to hear Cut to the Chase at least once from the same Counterparts release .

Circumstances, absolutely awesome when they pulled that out for SnA.

Driven is one of my favorite 90s Rush songs. Disappointing it was only played on one tour. Shoulda been on R40.

• Like 1

"Fly By Night" was in Geddy's upper register even way back when. He could nail it back then, but over time maybe it was one of the first that became challenging to sing.

I've never seen it stated outright, but I get the feeling sometimes that it's not one of Geddy's favorite songs. When he was on That Metal Show, they had him arrange the first 10 Mercury albums in order of his most favorite to least favorite. Geddy's least favorite album was Fly By Night; he said the song writing was not up to what it was on the other albums.

In some of the interviews for the R40 tour it was mentioned that Alex wanted to try FBN for the ending segment, but Geddy's voice was not up to it without changing registers and changing the song a lot so they went with "Lakeside Park."

I recall that TMS with Geddy, and was sad to see FBN last. To my untrained ear, they were learning how to play with their new, soon to be "world best" drummer, and developing their progressive songwriting approach.

Songs like Anthem and Beneath Between Behind (thanks Eel!) sound like the dawning birth of their hard rock prog sound.

• Like 1

I recall that TMS with Geddy, and was sad to see FBN last. To my untrained ear, they were learning how to play with their new, soon to be "world best" drummer, and developing their progressive songwriting approach.

Songs like Anthem and Beneath Between Behind (thanks Eel!) sound like the dawning birth of their hard rock prog sound.

I agree, it's one of my favorite albums!

Jacob's Ladder was played on a full tour, the Permanent Waves Tour, as well as on the R40 Tour. Not just 1 half.

I know Fly By Night was a very demanding song, but I could see it sticking around a little while longer, till like the Permanent Waves or Moving Pictures tours, likely part of the end medley.

Bravado and RTB seemed to stick around a bit longer than necessary

The Weapon and The Enemy Within I would of liked to hear more often

that By-tor/Necromancer medley definitely didn't hang around long enough

• Like 1

Commenting on the original post.

FBN: very shocking that it died after the Kings Tour, but if Geddy hated it by the time he matured as a musician, then what can you do? I think they could've done the song justice on the TFE Tour, or as part of a Waves/MP Tour medley.

Circumstances: I think they played it properly. Too much good material for it to make the cut until the later Evening With formats.

New World Man: They treated it perfectly.

Mystic Rhythms: I think it's fine. Bizarre they played it CP, but love that arrangement the best.

Show Don't Tell: absolutely baffled that it was unplayed after the CP Tour.

GoaC: could have taken the place of the overplayed Bravado at times.

Nobody's Hero and Driven were played on 2 tours. I'd personally prefer Cold Fire over Nobody's Hero on the TFE Tour. Half the World should have never been played.

Test For Echo as a one-and-done is criminal! Should've been on VT and one of the 2010s tours.

In The Mood: meh....So lazy and predictable for it to close every single show from 84-90.

BB&B: weird, but glad they brought it back!

Bangkok: I guess time constraints prevented it from being played earlier. Probably treated correctly.

Witch Hunt: I think they did fine with it, considering it wasn't intended to ever be played live.

Red Lenses: it was really only played on one tour. It was just a snippet on the latter two tours. Would have been nice to get this in the 2000s just once.

Resist: no problem with it being the last TFE survivor. Prefer the full band version.

LTTA: could have done without it on the VT Tour.

Secret Touch: perfectly done for me.

The most surprising tidbits for me:

Limelight was initially shelved from the setlist before Vital Signs... which was an encore song. What?!?!?

Title Tracks that weren't played: Presto (it took 20 years) and Vapor Trail

No Working Man from Signals until VT.

No Caress of Steel from MP until R40.

• Like 1

They should have kept A Farewell around longer.

RtB should have been one tour and out. Xanaconductor should have never seen the light of day.

In the Mood is good for what it was. A quick little rockandroll number after all these crazy difficult prog classics.

Shorter:

Nobody's Hero - after its release, I figured it would be a concert mainstay till they stopped touring.

The Analog Kid - I am still shocked at how little this was played over the years.

The Weapon- hard to believe this never saw the light of the day after the mid 80s

Longer:

One Little Victory - should have been a "one tour and done" song

Far Cry - same

Superconductor - how this ever made it to a second tour is beyond me

I agree with pretty much the consensus here. The Necromancer in particular wasn't played enough. Wish they could've done By-tor more in the later years.
  • Like 1

The Way the Wind Blows was unfortunately only played on the Snakes & Arrows Tour. I would have much preferred it over Faithless on the Time Machine Tour.

Why was Ceiling Unlimited only played on one tour?!

I wish Marathon were played more often. It would have fit nicely as an alternate on the R40 tour in place of Distant Early Warning.

I only got to see Limelight once! They dropped it after Time Machine, what a shame! (Actually, I think it was played a handful of times on the Clockwork Angels Tour, but that's not enough!)

And Red Barchetta should be a setlist mainstay, not just something they pull out every couple of tours.

Superconductor was a great song off of Presto, but they only played it on two tours (as far as I know): on the Presto and Roll the Bones tours. Edited by tony990

It blows my mind that Natural Science was gone for so long. For being such a landmark album, it's amazing that PeW was only represented by Freewill and Spirit for 15 years after the MP tour.

Also if you look at percentages of songs played on their respective tours, only 60% of HYF was played, 45% of Presto (on that tour - Presto was played later), 50% of RTB, 54% of CP (on that tour - Between Sun & Moon was played later), 63% of TFE, and 38% of VT (on that tour - How It Is was played later). For being so ignored by the band after its release, TFE actually had the highest ratio of songs played on its tour. I guess that's due to the longer set length, but still. Imagine if they began their Evening With... format during the 80's!

Edited by GrandDesigner
  • Like 2

It blows my mind that Natural Science was gone for so long. For being such a landmark album, it's amazing that PeW was only represented by Freewill and Spirit for 15 years after the MP tour.

Also if you look at percentages of songs played on their respective tours, only 60% of HYF was played, 45% of Presto (on that tour - Presto was played later), 50% of RTB, 54% of CP (on that tour - Between Sun & Moon was played later), 63% of TFE, and 38% of VT (on that tour - How It Is was played later). For being so ignored by the band after its release, TFE actually had the highest ratio of songs played on its tour. I guess that's due to the longer set length, but still. Imagine if they began their Evening With... format during the 80's!

I think that Natural Science disappeared for a while simply because it took up too much time in the set list when their concerts were shorter (why it wasn't ever part of a medley, I have no idea). I think they fell in love with the song again when they played it again on the TFE tour. I seem to remember a recent interview during which Alex mentioned this song as being one that was really fun to play live.

Personally, I'm surprised that Subdivisions became a "must play" song over the years. Although it's a good song, is it really that good? I think that New World Man deserved some more love than it got.