Is Alex Lifeson in your top 3 personal fave rock guitarists?

Texas King

Is Alex Lifeson in your top 3 fave rock guitarists?  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Is Alex Lifeson in your top 3 fave rock guitarists?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

Alex is so good I wish Geddy had never discovered keyboards, which kinda pushed Alex out of the mix in the 80's.

In a way, the keys brought out another brilliant aspect of his playing. He had to adapt.

No. I like Eddie Van Halen, Slash, and Brian May a bit more, but Lerxst is probably my #4 or 5. Depends on whether I've listened to Randy Rhoads recently. Edited by Disk98

Alex is so good I wish Geddy had never discovered keyboards, which kinda pushed Alex out of the mix in the 80's.

By Hold Your Fire, this was criminally true.
  • Like 2

^^^ Agree with this post 100%

I can only imagine how a guitarist of Alex's skill level felt when he was relegated second place to Geddy's mediocre keyboard playing.

Alex has no ego. Strange for a lead guitarist.
  • Like 5

I can only imagine how a guitarist of Alex's skill level felt when he was relegated second place to Geddy's mediocre keyboard playing.

it's always baffled me when people go on about rush being "self-indulgent" or whatever. alex is tasteful and plays his parts with no unnecessary additions. neil is really the only one I could see as "too busy" of a player, although that's what I like about him

• Like 4

It was his choice, his band, his songs

.. and it's not like he took the opportunity to do some great guitar album when he did Victor

it's always baffled me when people go on about rush being "self-indulgent" or whatever. alex is tasteful and plays his parts with no unnecessary additions. neil is really the only one I could see as "too busy" of a player, although that's what I like about him

Alex is really an interesting man. I think he may be one of the most decent men on the planet. Go watch the videos of when he was released from jail. Just watch how he treated the people who were hounding him after he just went through quite possibly the roughest 12 hours of his life. I'm not the type of person that gets star struck or warships celebrities, but I would love to sit down and talk with Alex over a few beers. :Alex:
  • Like 4

Alex is really an interesting man. I think he may be one of the most decent men on the planet. Go watch the videos of when he was released from jail. Just watch how he treated the people who were hounding him after he just went through quite possibly the roughest 12 hours of his life. I'm not the type of person that gets star struck or warships celebrities, but I would love to sit down and talk with Alex over a few beers. :Alex:

I think we need alex here in the states, lecturing on police brutality! :D

• Like 2

Yes, along with David Gilmour and Johnny Marr. Been that way since the mid-'80s, with Johnny having replaced Jimmy. For a time I might have put Radiohead's Jonny ahead of Johnny, but no one will ever challenge Alex and Gilmour for me. Edited by Rutlefan

Of course he has an ego. He wears a flipping hairpiece for starters.

IMO it's hard to 'pin' Alex down as a guitarist. He's like the chameleon-guitarist. Forever changing yet somehow instantly recognizable.
  • Like 5

What you should do is break into his hotel room and borrow him for a litte bit.

Of course he has an ego. He wears a flipping hairpiece for starters.

he means relative to other prominent lead guitarists in hard rock.

or maybe he meant that alex lifeson literally has no ego. the dude was just born without one! he only wears a hair piece so as to not depress the fans with reminders of mortality. he's acting out of selflessness here, tony