This date, back in '78!

Thunder Bay Rush

December 21, 1978... Ottawa Civic Centre, Rush Hemispheres Tour. I had seen Rush twice before... ALWAS Tour and the AFTK Tour. Both were amazing but for me - Hemispheres was THE concert.

I was a skinny 16 year old kid who had been playing drums for four years, still not that good, but taking weekly lessons, trying SO hard and practicing my ass off, thanks to Neil.

Sold out... 8,000 screaming fans. I recall people sleeping on the sidewalk IN DECEMBER trying to get tickets. Yes, that is what Rush was all about back then. It was insane.

I’ve seen 28 shows, only missing a few tours. And, to me, that tour was the best example of how great Rush was live… no sequencers, just a ton of gear and talent. The MP Tour was incredible too, but Hemispheres topped all of them.

Anyone here old enough to remember seeing that tour? If so, tell us your best memories. I’ll bet the younger members would love to hear…

Me? I remember vividly, the blue and pink lights streaming down during Hemispheres, Book II. That’s when I saw God… three of them.

And, coming from the world’s number one (and then some) Atheist, that’s saying something!!!

Edited by Thunder Bay Rush
  • Like 13

Good post. I saw that tour in Providence at the Civic Center. I had just turned 20 at the time. I think it was my third or fourth show, and I've seen them at least once every tour since then. I can't remember anything about the show, but I know I was blown away by it and them, as I've been at every Rush show before and after. Just for the record, back then Geddy's voice back then, was all over the place. Some songs(most) he nailed, others he was cringworthy, however that NEVER bothered me, or took away from the experience.
  • Like 1

I saw them in Baltimore at the Civic Center about a month later on January 20, 1979. I was 18 and it was my first time seeing them but not my last. My other "first time" didn't happen till later that summer lol... :codger: Edited by Narps
  • Like 2

I saw them a few weeks earlier than you on December 1st at Dayton Ohio Hara Arena It was my first Rush show. Alex had his fluffy hair on that tour which is still my favorite look of his. That set list was awesome. All of 2112 and all of Hemispheres plus AFTKs. Of all the tours that I have seen other than MPs that's the one I would like to go back and relive. Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 4

At least I know there are a few other old farts around here…

Interesting side note (given that we now know about Neil not wanting to grab much of any spotlight opportunities) on that show, I recall Neil addressing the crowd (“Thank you Ottawa!”) at Geddy’s microphone as they were coming onstage for the encore. I didn’t think it was any big deal then, but could you image him doing that now?

Wireless opened that show, whom I had never heard of then. I don’t think the band was together for long after that point, or got anywhere really. Max Webster would have been a much better opener, as they were for the AFTK tour.

Edited by Thunder Bay Rush

At least I know there are a few other old farts around here…

Interesting side note (given that we now know about Neil not wanting to grab much of any spotlight opportunities) on that show, I recall Neil addressing the crowd (“Thank you Ottawa!”) at Geddy’s microphone as they were coming onstage for the encore. I didn’t think it was any big deal then, but could you image him doing that now?

Wireless opened that show, whom I had never heard of then. I don’t think the band was together for long after that point, or got anywhere really. Max Webster would have been a much better opener, as they were for the AFTK tour.

10 days later in Toronto, Max Webster DID open the show.

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/tourdates-hemi.xls

Rush playing New Year's Eve for the Hemispheres tour...that would've beat out any New Year's Eve plans I've ever had.

My best friend lived in Toronto then and saw that show with Max, at the old Maple Gardens. By then, Rush would always play three nights at that arena... and Max opened many of those. "Alka Seltzer, Tang and a 50..." Who here can finish that line????
  • Like 1

all i can say is "wow"! i didn't see rush until 1981. i wanted to go in 1980 but my friends didn't. my first concert was july 4th, 1980 with other bands. so i always was a little bummed that i missed the PEW tour. you guys caught some awesome shows back in the day.
  • Like 2

UFO opened the show I saw. At that point I didn't know much about them except that I thought they had a cool name. :P They were good but nothing really memory worthy. Only thing I remember was Michael Schenker had recently left the group and they had some other guy fill in.
  • Like 2

I saw all the Toronto shows from ATWAS at Massey to the New Year's Gardens show - every 70's tour during that period - and into the early 80's. Those concerts were the BEST! I was all about Rush back then - as another skinny, long haired teenager.
  • Like 2

My best friend lived in Toronto then and saw that show with Max, at the old Maple Gardens. By then, Rush would always play three nights at that arena... and Max opened many of those. "Alka Seltzer, Tang and a 50..." Who here can finish that line????

"It's All Over... Got a Hangover"

Turn Up the sky Father Music - Everything below you is cancer

"It's All Over... Got a Hangover"

Turn Up the sky Father Music - Everything below you is cancer

Hmmm, nicely done... What about this one ? - "Cat's in the bag... neighbours holler..."

So jealous hearing about the Hemispheres tour! TBR, you did remind me of the PoW tour, friends convinced me to wait with them for tickets at the Coliseum overnight in foot deep snow. Ah the good ole days.

My first tour was MP. Still bummed I didn't allow a friend to convince me to go to PeW. Woulda been awesome seeing that 70s album performed in the 80s ;)

All I have for Hemispheres tour is Universe Divided, thankfully fans were smart enough back then to bootleg shows. What a shame it would be in a world without a high quality recording of the Hemispheres tour!

• Like 1

I don't remember people camping out for tix back then as everything I went to was general admission. There were places that would get a line a couple hours before opening but there were always outlets that were off the beaten path that didn't get lines. We did have to arrive at the arena hours early to get in line to make it to front of stage.