British Accents

Lorraine

This is what we speak like up in the north east of Scotland - video is of a local actor/comedian... Warning - there is some swearing in the clip (which is just part of how we speak).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTUIMZjXcoU

Spot on!.....did you catch him hosting Live at Captain Toms?

When I was much younger, I thought there were only two kinds of British accents - Twiggy and everyone else.

Throughout the years, I have come to find out that you have as many different accents in England as we do in the USA.

Can those of you who are native Brits identify where someone is from by their accent? Some of your accents are so dignified and proper; some I can't understand very well.

Can I just point out that England is not Britain ;)

• Like 2

When I was much younger, I thought there were only two kinds of British accents - Twiggy and everyone else.

Throughout the years, I have come to find out that you have as many different accents in England as we do in the USA.

Can those of you who are native Brits identify where someone is from by their accent? Some of your accents are so dignified and proper; some I can't understand very well.

No.

• Like 3

What do you mean? I thought England was part of Great Britain.

Indeed. England is part of Britain but if Scotland gained independence it would be Great Britain...

:P

• Like 2

Indeed. England is part of Britain but if Scotland gained independence it would be Great Britain...

:P

:moon:

It is, but many people across the pond (not you obviously) say England when they mean Britain...bugs the hell out of those of us who are not English.

• Like 1

It is, but many people across the pond (not you obviously) say England when they mean Britain...bugs the hell out of those of us who are not English.

What about if you're Anglo/Irish??

I'm really well spoken with a very upper class voice mixed with some down to earth country. I come from a well off area and I have to say the smugness at times rubs off. I'm not sure if my voice is regional as I blend in nowhere (I have south African heritage and was raised in a bit of a bubble until my mid-teens when I acted out).

But yeah...I'm a bit of a posh boy.

I'm pretty good at judging British accents, as far as what region of the country someone is from- with the exception of the east. I'm not sure what characterises an accent from the east of England.

I've been thinking, and I think one thing that might contribute to people thinking there weren't many different British accents is that it used to be the norm for British actors to learn to "lose" their regional accent, and speak in what is know as RP (Received Pronunciation). For instance, you'd probably never tell from his accent that Tom Baker is from Liverpool. He doesn't sound it. In the past, you rarely heard a regional accent on telly, unless it was some character actor putting on a fake one.

This changed sometime in the 80s or 90s, and now regional accents are all over the telly.

But think of any big British actor from the 50s, 60s, 70s and it's a good bet they speak Received Pronunciation.

• Like 4

I've been thinking, and I think one thing that might contribute to people thinking there weren't many different British accents is that it used to be the norm for British actors to learn to "lose" their regional accent, and speak in what is know as RP (Received Pronunciation). For instance, you'd probably never tell from his accent that Tom Baker is from Liverpool. He doesn't sound it. In the past, you rarely heard a regional accent on telly, unless it was some character actor putting on a fake one.

This changed sometime in the 80s or 90s, and now regional accents are all over the telly.

But think of any big British actor from the 50s, 60s, 70s and it's a good bet they speak Received Pronunciation.

RP is used by teachers in schools now too, even going back just 20 years to when I was in Primary school the teachers still had strong regional accents. I have noticed that kids these days seem to have more 'generic' accents than perhaps people of my generation and older. For example usually you can tell if somebody from here is from Aberdeen, or if their from the country, or from a fishing community all within a 50 mile radius or so. These days I think the younger folk mostly sound the same.

• Like 2

The Brtish accent that's probably most hard to understand is a really strong Glaswegian (Glasgow in Scotland) accent. This is the accent that Billy Connolly has but his is only a light-medium version...

This one is pretty strong but I have no trouble understanding it, there's much stronger ones than this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5XyecKONu8

Here's an exaggerated one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4yeqSgNxiE