Best Lifeson riff?

Eel Yddeg

"Limelight"

Yeah. Way too many to choose from. But since I have "Limelight" listed as my favorite song on my profile, I'll have to go with it as well. Hoooooweeever....I do have "The Spirit of Radio" as my ringtone. And "Anthem" is awesome. And as much as I loathe "Dog Years", it has a damn good guitar riff.

Early greats that jump out to me include Bastille Day, Finding My Way, What Your Doing. Analog Kid is a later one that really stands out.

Almost forgot "Analog Kid". I played it for my late brother when I was teenager (he was 16 years older than me) and he said, "How is anyone supposed to dance to that?"

Took me awhile to realize he was being sarcastic.

• Like 1

Early greats that jump out to me include Bastille Day, Finding My Way, What Your Doing. Analog Kid is a later one that really stands out.

Almost forgot "Analog Kid". I played it for my late brother when I was teenager (he was 16 years older than me) and he said, "How is anyone supposed to dance to that?"

Took me awhile to realize he was being sarcastic.

:LOL:

This is a thread I haven't seen before!

Out of all of Alex Lifeson's riffs he crafted, which one do you think is the VERY best?

For me, I think it actually might be the one at 4 minutes in in "Secret Touch". WOW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_JIE0uCDR8

Riff might be the wrong word, but I like what Lifeson does from 5:50 onwards as well.

This is a thread I haven't seen before!

Out of all of Alex Lifeson's riffs he crafted, which one do you think is the VERY best?

For me, I think it actually might be the one at 4 minutes in in "Secret Touch". WOW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_JIE0uCDR8

The riff you speak of, is one of my fav's and really got me excited about this album. Its quintessential Rush of old, but with a new take. All instruments are separate, Lifeson doing that crazy riff, Lee's sqwauky bass, Peart pushing ahead. The Rio version works well too. There are some great songs on here, with lots of great riffs. Vapor trails is one of my favorite Rush albums.

• Like 1

Lerxst is the master. Best of each album:

RUSH: What You're Doing main riff

Fly By Night: Anthem main riff

Caress of Steel: Under the Shadow main riff

2112: A Passage to Bangkok

AFTK: Cygnus pt 1 main riff

Hemispheres: La Villa final riff

Permanent Waves: Spirit opening riff

Moving Pictures: Limelight main riff

Signals: Analog Kid main riff

Grace Under Pressure: Kid Gloves main riff

Power Windows: Territories main riff

Hold Your Fire: Force Ten

Presto: Show Don't Tell main riff

Roll The Bones: Dreamline main riff

Counterparts: Animate verse riff

Test For Echo: Virtuality main riff

Vapor Trails: How It Is verse riff

Snakes and Arrows: Far Cry main riff

Clockwork Angels: Carnies main riff

• Like 1

Some riffs are obviously crafted by Alex but it's hard to tell if al or geddy wrote many of them so I'm not sure.

Excellent point......many forget that a good slice of Rush's guitar music was written by Geddy, who at the very least is a competent guitarist in his own right.

• Like 1

The Anarchist

After the lyrics "Oh they tried to get me, oh they'll never forget me."

Second I would have to say Chain Lightning off of Presto.

I watched the video where he deconstructed SOR and showed how "easy" the intro was. Then he commented that it was easier to play slowed down but then proceeded to rip through it like a hot knife through butter. The man is a genius!