TOP TENS: Marillion

Chronos

I've sampled liberally from both the Fish and Hogarth eras, but Marillion has never really grabbed me. I know there are a lot of fans here at TRF, so have at it: What are your fave tracks?

I intend to use your lists and commentary to revisit the band and see if I can't develop a deeper appreciation...

• Like 1

1. Assassin

2. Incommunicado

3. Heart of Lothian

4. PSK/Kayleigh/ Lavender

5. Hard as Love

6. No One Can

7. Between You and Me

8. Punch and Judy

9. Why Is Nothing Ever True

10. Holloway Girl

• Like 2

1. Assassin

2. Incommunicado

3. Heart of Lothian

4. PSK/Kayleigh/ Lavender

5. Hard as Love

6. No One Can

7. Between You and Me

8. Punch and Judy

9. Why Is Nothing Ever True

10. Holloway Girl

When I statted out Assassing was my favorite song. Still enjoy it but its been greatly surpassed. Jigsaw and Incubus are far better from that album.

Fish is Marillion... whitout Fish there is no Marillion. The new singer in "Marillion" stink, he cant sing for a shit.

Here is my 10 favorite songs. In no particularly order, except for Grendel. And I have been forced to skip lots of songs that should be in this list.

Grendel

Script For A Jester´s Tear

The Web

Fugazi

Warm Wet Circles

Incommunicado

Jigsaw

Assassing

She Chameleon

Market Square Heroes

Even tho I saw the whole Fish solo tour there he played whole Misplaced Childhood, I feel like I cant split any songs from that album. The whole album is one piece. Great album tho!

• Like 1

Marillion belongs to my personal top three bands. Many great songs.

I chose the list according to the feeling brought on melodies and lyrics. Marillion is a very emotional and technical band, for this reason my second criteria was quality sound to me. I'm not a musician, but my 'level one' perception does something about.

I'm unable to pick just ten. I had to add bonus tracks.

1. Ocean Cloud

2. Fugazi

3. Beyond You

4. Brave

5. Heart Of Lothian

6. The Damage

7. Grendel

8. Out Of This World

9. Splintering Heart

10. Dry Land

11. Man Of A Thousand Faces

12. Estonia

13. Power

14. Quartz

15. Somewhere Else

I still didn't listen FEAR. I'll have to prepare a separated extra list later, because I'll get into the newest songs next Sunday night. ;)

• Like 2

There's a few Marillion albums I haven't really listened to, though. Marbles has gotten a lot of plays and maybe that's why I basically made 1/2 of this list into Marbles, haha

1. Ocean Cloud

2. A Legacy

3. Between You and Me

4. Wound

5. Assassing (alternate mix, on Disc 2)

6. The Lap of Luxury

7. Angelina

8. Don't Hurt Yourself

9. Neverland

10. Sounds That Can't Be Made

I disagree on the opinions about Hogarth. I think he's a beautiful man and vocalist :)

Edited by Day of Light
  • Like 1

I've sampled liberally from both the Fish and Hogarth eras, but Marillion has never really grabbed me. I know there are a lot of fans here at TRF, so have at it: What are your fave tracks?

I intend to use your lists and commentary to revisit the band and see if I can't develop a deeper appreciation...

I think Marillion is hard to really love and that's not necessarily out of a lack of appreciation or taste. Hoping you like them better this time!

Edited by Day of Light
  • Like 1

I disagree on the opinions about Hogarth. I think he's a beautiful man and vocalist :)

"H." is talented and versatile singer.

He sings with all his heart for music.

I agree he's a beautiful man inside and out. Sounds That Can't Be Made: an amazing title track and masterpiece album. :yes:

Edited by rhyv

I agree he's a beautiful man inside and out. Sounds That Can't Be Made: an amazing title track and masterpiece album. :yes:

The one thing I dislike is how hard "H" is to tag online, so when I look him up on tumblr and other media I can't get much news (mind you, I think most people just tag him as Steve Hogarth).

I listened to the bonus disc commentary where he talks about some of the Marbles tracks--he seems like a very intelligent person. And Fish is highly intelligent as well, but their emotional intelligences seem to be of a vastly different type. Hogarth is more of a poet.

• Like 1

The one thing I dislike is how hard "H" is to tag online, so when I look him up on tumblr and other media I can't get much news (mind you, I think most people just tag him as Steve Hogarth).

I listened to the bonus disc commentary where he talks about some of the Marbles tracks--he seems like a very intelligent person. And Fish is highly intelligent as well, but their emotional intelligences seem to be of a vastly different type. Hogarth is more of a poet.

:yes: They're totally different styles but fit well in this band, which needs changes at times due internal music languages development.

That's how I perceive Marillion along the years.

• Like 1

http://fishheads.club/2016/12/13/musings-on-a-rat/

• Like 2

Fish is Marillion... whitout Fish there is no Marillion. The new singer in "Marillion" stink, he cant sing for a shit.

H is the man. Moronic fans like you are just crack smokers.

• Like 1