TOP TENS: Emerson, Lake & Palmer

Chronos

I've been playing nothing but ELP and early King Crimson since I learned of Greg Lake's passing a couple of days ago.

My top ten, in approximate order:

1. Take a Pebble

2. Jerusalem

3. Karn Evil 9

4. Tarkus

5. The Barbarian

6. Still...You Turn Me On

7. Toccata

8. The Sage

9. From the Beginning

10. Knife-Edge

Edited by Chronos
  • Like 2

This is tough because I would probably put all of their albums before Love Beach at a fairly equal level. Maybe BSS slightly above the others. Though I will make a stab at making a list.

1. From The Beginning

2. Karn Evil 9 both impressions

3. Tarkus

4. Hoedown

5. Still...You Turn me On

6. Toccata

7. The Great Gates of Kiev

8. Knife Edge

9. Lucky Man

10. C'est La Vie

• Like 1

If it was only sheer musicianship you were after: at their peak Keith, Carl and Greg were untouchable.

I guess when Keith lost the huge orchestral sound, he kinda lost interest after that. Shame.

http://www.agharta.net/Pr_pics/PR9_ELP.jpg

in no particular order:

Karn Evil 9

Take A Pebble

Tarkus

From The Beginning

Trilogy

Toccata

The Endless Enigma

Fanfare For the Common Man

Pirates

Knife Edge

Listen to this stuff all the time (but I've been much stopped this week for obvious reasons) and but I guess I really forget this particular band only had 9 studio albums.

Between the live albums, live compilations, compilations, official bootlegs it always seems like more.

I suppose I also count Emerson Lake and Powell (sadly all gone now) and 3, but I guess many people wouldn't.

Include the solo albums (I'll admit I've got the other projects that Emerson and Palmer were involved with, but not a single one with Lake (unless you count King Crimson (which I consider to be a Fripp enterprise since that's the way it seems to have evolved.) I suppose that's not likely to change.

Wait...I also have Lake's performance with Asia in 1983. That might be my favorite performance of his outside of Emerson Lake and Palmer/Powell.

In The Hot Seat is probably the only one I don't listen to as much as the others. Emerson's hands were giving him quite a bit of trouble at that time and I don't have fond memories of the band from that period.