Your Very Own, Personal And Unbiased, Top Ten Movies

Segue Myles

Tough call but here's what I came up with...

1) Shawshank Redemption...this was guaranteed to be #1. My most watched and most satisfying film of all time.

2) This is Spinal Tap...easily my favorite comedy ever. This was guaranteed top 3.

3) A Clockwork Orange...scary, smart, ultra violent, believable.

4) Alien...THE pinnacle of sci-fi even though I actually think of it as a horror movie.

5) Road to Perdition...great cast, great story, great soundtrack.

6) The Incredibles...somehow this is the only superhero film to make my top 10. Brad Bird! It's like he's paying homage and taking the piss at the same time. Brilliant!

7) Toy Story...can't go wrong here. Anyone who's had toys and a heart should like this.

8) Gladiator...another Ridley Scott masterpiece. Who didn't want to choke Commodus while watching this?!

9) Hotaru no Haka (Grave of the Fireflies)...superb war film that shows very little war. Amidst the quality Miyazaki films, this non-Miyazaki animated movie is often overlooked...though it was produced by Studio Ghibli. Watch this.

10) Breakfast Club...THE 80s movie. THE John Hughes movie. I could've left this one out but I just couldn't.

No Ferris Bueller's Day Off? :P

:LOL: I'm kind of flattered that you remember :P

It's not total crap but I do think it's overrated. Ferris never made me laugh but his buddy did...whatever his name was.

Another comedy that nearly everyone seems to love but me is Caddyshack. Does nothing for me. Baby Ruth in the pool resembling poo...yeah, not that funny. :LOL:

• Like 1

I love Ferris Buelellajshakjvs (whatever the spelling is), but I can see why anything with Matthew Broderick could be a turn off (except for The Lion King...those who hate that film are just beggers for indifference in my opinion haha).
  • Like 2

1) Shawshank Redemption...this was guaranteed to be #1. My most watched and most satisfying film of all time.

2) This is Spinal Tap...easily my favorite comedy ever. This was guaranteed top 3.

4) Alien...THE pinnacle of sci-fi even though I actually think of it as a horror movie.

6) The Incredibles...somehow this is the only superhero film to make my top 10. Brad Bird! It's like he's paying homage and taking the piss at the same time. Brilliant!

7) Toy Story...can't go wrong here. Anyone who's had toys and a heart should like this.

8) Gladiator...another Ridley Scott masterpiece. Who didn't want to choke Commodus while watching this?!

9) Hotaru no Haka (Grave of the Fireflies)...superb war film that shows very little war. Amidst the quality Miyazaki films, this non-Miyazaki animated movie is often overlooked...though it was produced by Studio Ghibli. Watch this.

10) Breakfast Club...THE 80s movie. THE John Hughes movie. I could've left this one out but I just couldn't.

Where's all the capeshit ??

and

NO BRAD PITT !?!?!

WTF ??

:LOL:

The capeshit jokes I can take. But you've soiled my post with Brad Pitt! "What's in the box?!! No no, what's in the box?!!" f**k you and your crap acting Brad...I wish it were YOUR head!!!! :LOL:

• Like 2

and

NO BRAD PITT !?!?!

WTF ??

The capeshit jokes I can take. But you've soiled my post with Brad Pitt! "What's in the box?!! No no, what's in the box?!!" f**k you and your crap acting Brad...I wish it were YOUR head!!!! :LOL:

I don't want to spoil this for anyone.

But it was his wife's head in that box.

Movies I loved during my childhood (in order of my age):

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs ~2

The Nightmare Before Christmas ~3

Toy Soldiers ~4

Hercules (1997) ~4

Big ~5

The Never Ending Story ~5

Gremlins ~5

Jack Frost (1998) ~6

The Iron Giant ~7

I still enjoy all these movies except for Jack Frost and Toy Soldiers.

During my teen years, I just watched a lot of horror and most of it was shit, and now, while I'm still into the genre a bit, I wouldn't consider much from it worthy of being a favorite of mine, or even talking about.

So, now:

10. The Never Ending Story

9. One Hour Photo

8. Jagten (The Hunt)

7. Shame

6. Spoorloos (The Vanishing)

5. Taxi Driver

4. Mysterious Skin

3. The Wrestler

2. Drive

1. Little Miss Sunshine

Honorable mention to the Michael Haneke films. I used to consider La Pianiste my favorite movie, but I re-watched it not too long ago and I guess I've soured on his style a bit :huh: It was eye opening at the time I was binge watching him.

Edited by Mr. Not
  • Like 1

and

NO BRAD PITT !?!?!

WTF ??

Brad Pitt has carried on that grand Hollywood tradition we've discussed :LOL:

• Like 1

I love Ferris Buelellajshakjvs (whatever the spelling is)

That's the name for the Russian version of the movie which came out during the Cold War/Soviet Union days. However, in the Soviet version, Ferris didn't win anything...ever...unless you count being shipped off to a hard labor camp in Siberia for 30 years. He should be getting out just about now.

I don't know how my very own and personal top ten movies can be unbiased, but here you go:

Fargo

Dr. Strangelove

Raiders of the Lost Ark

The In-Laws

A Hard Day's Night

Repo Man

Chinatown

Duck Soup

Planet of the Apes

Animal House

• Like 3

Movies I loved during my childhood (in order of my age):

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs ~2

The Nightmare Before Christmas ~3

Toy Soldiers ~4

Hercules (1997) ~4

Big ~5

The Never Ending Story ~5

Gremlins ~5

Jack Frost (1998) ~6

The Iron Giant ~7

During my teen years, I just watched a lot of horror and most of it was shit, and now, while I'm still into the genre a bit, I wouldn't consider much from it worthy of being a favorite of mine, or even talking about.

So, now:

10. The Never Ending Story

9. One Hour Photo

8. Jagten (The Hunt)

7. Shame

6. Spoorloos (The Vanishing)

5. Taxi Driver

4. Mysterious Skin

3. The Wrestler

2. Drive

1. Little Miss Sunshine

Honorable mention to the Michael Haneke films. I used to consider La Pianiste my favorite movie, but I re-watched it not too long ago and I guess I've soured on his style a bit :huh: It was eye opening at the time I was binge watching him.

Spoorloos = one of the most incredible endings ever - good choice .. and Taxi Driver is a great pick too

• Like 1

I don't know how my very own and personal top ten movies can be unbiased, but here you go:

Fargo

Dr. Strangelove

Raiders of the Lost Ark

The In-Laws

A Hard Day's Night

Repo Man

Chinatown

Duck Soup

Planet of the Apes

Animal House

DUCK SOUP IS SO FUNNY!!!

Fargo

Dr. Strangelove

Raiders of the Lost Ark

The In-Laws

A Hard Day's Night

Repo Man

Chinatown

Duck Soup

Planet of the Apes

Animal House

DUCK SOUP IS SO FUNNY!!!

By the way, Dumb and Dumber would make my top 25.

Grave Of The Fireflies is great.

But the now long forgotten, older anime Barefoot Gen is even better. More disturbing, more historical and profoundly sad...it gets dark and graphic and it is relentless and the animation is cheaper which makes it all the more hard to watch...but it has a child like simplicity. Barefoot Gen and it's sequel move me more than Grave ever has. It's about the Hiroshima (or Nagasaki I forget which) bombings and is autobiographical (it's based on a manga written by a man who based the lead character on his own childhood experiences).

Ive never seen Barefoot Gen but I know of it. It's in nearly every junior high English textbook I've seen out here. They use a piece of it and translate it into English.

3. The Wrestler

Mr Not, this is an interesting choice ... A few years ago, my sister became obsessed with this movie for about a month - it really effected her .. I watched it with her, and I liked it, but it really had an impact on her ..

Did he knowingly kill himself at the end ??

Fargo

Dr. Strangelove

Raiders of the Lost Ark

The In-Laws

A Hard Day's Night

Repo Man

Chinatown

Duck Soup

Planet of the Apes

Animal House

Animal House is my #2 comedy behind Spinal Tap.

Fargo, Strangelove, Raiders, and Planet of the Apes would all be way up on my list too.

3. The Wrestler

Mr Not, this is an interesting choice ... A few years ago, my sister became obsessed with this movie for about a month - it really effected her .. I watched it with her, and I liked it, but it really had an impact on her ..

:yes: He stayed where he's loved: in the ring

• Like 2

3. The Wrestler

:yes: He stayed where he's loved: in the ring

That's my interpretation too.

• Like 1

Fargo

Dr. Strangelove

Raiders of the Lost Ark

The In-Laws

A Hard Day's Night

Repo Man

Chinatown

Duck Soup

Planet of the Apes

Animal House

I seriously thought about adding Planet of the

Apes to my list and completely forgot about Raiders.

Brazil

Blade Runner

Aliens

There Will Be Blood

The Empire Strikes Back

Princess Mononoke

Raiders of the Lost Ark

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Terminator 2: Judgment Day

The Shawshank Redemption

Three lists with Miyazaki!!!!

AAAAAH YEAH!

• Like 1

Grave Of The Fireflies is great.

But the now long forgotten, older anime Barefoot Gen is even better. More disturbing, more historical and profoundly sad...it gets dark and graphic and it is relentless and the animation is cheaper which makes it all the more hard to watch...but it has a child like simplicity. Barefoot Gen and it's sequel move me more than Grave ever has. It's about the Hiroshima (or Nagasaki I forget which) bombings and is autobiographical (it's based on a manga written by a man who based the lead character on his own childhood experiences).

As a guess, it's probably about the Hiroshima bombing mainly due to the iconic sites and it being the first city where the A-bomb was used.

Brazil

Blade Runner

Aliens

There Will Be Blood

The Empire Strikes Back

Princess Mononoke

Raiders of the Lost Ark

The Shawshank Redemption

AAAAAH YEAH!

IF I were to pick a Miyazaki flick it'd likely be Mononoke.

By the way, did you guys watch the English dubbed version OR the original with English subtitles? If in English, who were the voice actors?

Brazil

Blade Runner

Aliens

There Will Be Blood

The Empire Strikes Back

Princess Mononoke

Raiders of the Lost Ark

The Shawshank Redemption

AAAAAH YEAH!

By the way, did you guys watch the English dubbed version OR the original with English subtitles? If in English, who were the voice actors?

I have seen all the dubs and the originals. It depends on whether I am in the mood for subtitles.

Mononoke has a great dub compared to some.

Billy Crudup- Ashitaka

Billy Bob Thornton- Jigo

Minnie Driver- Lady Eboshi

John DiMaggio- Gonza

Claire Danes- San

I'd day I love all of Miyazaki's movies, but I would rank Porco Rossi and The Wind Rises at the bottom (not saying they are bad...they are exceptional, especially the latter).

Brazil

Blade Runner

Aliens

There Will Be Blood

The Empire Strikes Back

Princess Mononoke

Raiders of the Lost Ark

The Shawshank Redemption

AAAAAH YEAH!

I have seen all the dubs and the originals. It depends on whether I am in the mood for subtitles.

Mononoke has a great dub compared to some.

Billy Crudup- Ashitaka

Billy Bob Thornton- Jigo

Minnie Driver- Lady Eboshi

John DiMaggio- Gonza

Claire Danes- San

I'd day I love all of Miyazaki's movies, but I would rank Porco Rossi and The Wind Rises at the bottom (not saying they are bad...they are exceptional, especially the latter).

Seems like a decent voice cast...though I don't know DiMaggio. Must be a voice actor (mainly)?

Film Snob alert:

MODERN TIMES (Charles Chaplin)

SATYRICON (Fellini)

DOWN BY LAW (Jim Jarmusch)

L'AVVENTURA (Antonioni)

ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST (Sergio Leone)

ANDREI RUBLEV (Andrei Tarkovsky)

ASHES AND DIAMONDS (Adrzej Wajda)

PERSONA (Ingmar Bergman)

SATANTANGO (Bela Tarr)

EL TOPO (Alejandro Jodorowsky)

bubbling under....

The Producers (1968)

The Odd Couple

Charley Varrick

The Seventh Seal

Les Vampires

The Good, Bad & The Ugly