Aliens

Terminator

Terminator 2

Blade Runner

Gladiator

The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows pt. 1

Rock Of Ages (seriously!)

Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them (let my inner fanboy calm down)

It (Clara Bow comedy)

Singing In The Rain

Seven Brides For Seven Brothers

The Time Machine (1960)

I, Robot

Moulin Rouge (2001)

Scream

Pocahontas

Spirited Away

Howl's Moving Castle

• Like 2

Beat me to making this thread Segue! Good!

Your #1-3 don't surprise me and are worthy picks.

#4-7 I haven't seen!

#8-10 are good but I'm surprised they made your list...even though I know you love Miyazaki.

Going to need several minutes to think of my list.

I really recommend these two:

The Flowers Of War (a Chinese war movie starring Christian Bale in one of the best performances I have ever seen from him, it's absolutely breathtaking, unflinchingly violent at times and is busy one of the most beautiful movies I have ever seen. Including the actresses).

And The Black Book. Should be top five really.

Oh, and American Hustle...I know many hate it and I did the first time, but second time round I absolutely fell for it!

#4-7 I haven't seen!

#8-10 are good but I'm surprised they made your list...even though I know you love Miyazaki.

The Flowers Of War (a Chinese war movie starring Christian Bale in one of the best performances I have ever seen from him, it's absolutely breathtaking, unflinchingly violent at times and is busy one of the most beautiful movies I have ever seen. Including the actresses).

I've never heard of either. But I like Bale so that's a plus already.

And I just saw that the director of Black Book has directed various blockbusters.

• Like 1

Pan's Labyrinth

Ben Hur

Witchfinder General

The Devil Wears Prada

1. Good Fellas

2. Die Hard

3. Young Frankenstein

4. Beauty and the Beast

5. The Princess Bride

6. Star Wars:The Empire Strikes Back

7. Planes, Trains and Automobiles

8. Face off

9. Pulp Fiction

10. Ghostbusters.

this was harder cause i'm not HUGE on movies

Mick

• Like 4

#4-7 I haven't seen!

I've never heard of either. But I like Bale so that's a plus already.

And I just saw that the director of Black Book has directed various blockbusters.

Black Book is the most flat out enjoyable war movie I have ever seen. It is also NOTHING like the directors other works. It didn't make much money but many top critics gave it full marks. I do too.

Really hard to pick just ten but these movies I've seen over and over and never get tired of them.

1. The Quiet Man

2. Alien and Aliens

3. Avatar

3. The Thin Man 1.2 and 3

4. My Neighbor Totoro

5. Naussica and the Valley of the Wind

6. The Lord of the Rings trilogy

7. Galaxy Quest

8. Princess Mononoke

9. Spirited Away

10. Close Encounters

• Like 2

Really hard to pick just ten but these movies I've seen over and over and never get tired of them.

1. The Quiet Man

2. Alien and Aliens

3. Avatar

4. My Neighbor Totoro

7. Galaxy Quest

8. Princess Mononoke

9. Spirited Away

10. Close Encounters

YES THE THIN MAN!!!!!!!

How did I forget this?

• Like 1

Eaglemoon, I had to really refrain myself from filling my list with nothing but Miyazaki haha!
  • Like 1

1. The Quiet Man

2. Alien and Aliens

3. Avatar

4. My Neighbor Totoro

7. Galaxy Quest

8. Princess Mononoke

9. Spirited Away

10. Close Encounters

YES THE THIN MAN!!!!!!!

How did I forget this?

I had to really sit and think of what DVDs that I have because usually I don't buy one unless I know I like a movie. The thin man movies I've been a favorite of mine for a long time. I used to have a Wire Fox Terrier and a big reason I got it was because of the movies. And no it wasn't called Asta. :LOL:

• Like 1

1. The Quiet Man

2. Alien and Aliens

3. Avatar

4. My Neighbor Totoro

7. Galaxy Quest

8. Princess Mononoke

9. Spirited Away

10. Close Encounters

YES THE THIN MAN!!!!!!!

How did I forget this?

I had to really sit and think of what DVDs that I have because usually I don't buy one unless I know I like a movie. The thin man movies I've been a favorite of mine for a long time. I used to have a Wire Fox Terrier and a big reason I got it was because of the movies. And no it wasn't called Asta. :LOL:

I saw a meme last year of the husband and wife bickering. I just knew it was my kind of film! It came from the first one and I don't regret hunting it down (its not easy to find in the UK).

I will try and see the sequels!

Another early 30's movie I love is Freaks.

No particular order off the top...

Shawshank Redemption

Good Will Hunting

The Green Mile

The Sound Of Music

Mr Holland's Opus

Jaws

Outlaw Josey Wales

Field Of Dreams

Caddyshack

Alien

Edited by Narps
  • Like 5

1. The Quiet Man

2. Alien and Aliens

3. Avatar

4. My Neighbor Totoro

7. Galaxy Quest

8. Princess Mononoke

9. Spirited Away

10. Close Encounters

YES THE THIN MAN!!!!!!!

How did I forget this?

I saw a meme last year of the husband and wife bickering. I just knew it was my kind of film! It came from the first one and I don't regret hunting it down (its not easy to find in the UK).

I will try and see the sequels!

Another early 30's movie I love is Freaks.

The first three movies are good, but then after that they changed the writers and just too much time that had passed. (Plus they added a kid, which didn't really work that well) They are OK but they just don't have the witty banter and feeling the first three do.

Shawshank Redemption

Good Will Hunting

The Green Mile

The Sound Of Music

Mr Holland's Opus

Jaws

Outlaw Josey Wales

Field Of Dreams

Caddyshack

Alien

Oh man, I forgot about The Sound of Music. Such a classic!

• Like 1

Shawshank Redemption

Good Will Hunting

The Green Mile

The Sound Of Music

Mr Holland's Opus

Jaws

Outlaw Josey Wales

Field Of Dreams

Caddyshack

Alien

So many classics!

Never seen Caddyshack.

Sound Of Music...heck this is another one I could have easily added!

• Like 2

oh boy .. Off the top of the head, not in any particular order

- Spirit Of The Beehive

- Suicide Club

- Dog Day Afternoon

- Rear Window

- Tale Of Two Sisters

- Ju On

- Scarface

- Battle Royale

- Friday The 13th

- Zelig

• Like 1

Tough call but here's what I came up with...

1) Shawshank Redemption...this was guaranteed to be #1. My most watched and most satisfying film of all time.

2) This is Spinal Tap...easily my favorite comedy ever. This was guaranteed top 3.

3) A Clockwork Orange...scary, smart, ultra violent, believable.

4) Alien...THE pinnacle of sci-fi even though I actually think of it as a horror movie.

5) Road to Perdition...great cast, great story, great soundtrack.

6) The Incredibles...somehow this is the only superhero film to make my top 10. Brad Bird! It's like he's paying homage and taking the piss at the same time. Brilliant!

7) Toy Story...can't go wrong here. Anyone who's had toys and a heart should like this.

8) Gladiator...another Ridley Scott masterpiece. Who didn't want to choke Commodus while watching this?!

9) Hotaru no Haka (Grave of the Fireflies)...superb war film that shows very little war. Amidst the quality Miyazaki films, this non-Miyazaki animated movie is often overlooked...though it was produced by Studio Ghibli. Watch this.

10) Breakfast Club...THE 80s movie. THE John Hughes movie. I could've left this one out but I just couldn't.

• Like 3

1) Shawshank Redemption...this was guaranteed to be #1. My most watched and most satisfying film of all time.

2) This is Spinal Tap...easily my favorite comedy ever. This was guaranteed top 3.

4) Alien...THE pinnacle of sci-fi even though I actually think of it as a horror movie.

6) The Incredibles...somehow this is the only superhero film to make my top 10. Brad Bird! It's like he's paying homage and taking the piss at the same time. Brilliant!

7) Toy Story...can't go wrong here. Anyone who's had toys and a heart should like this.

8) Gladiator...another Ridley Scott masterpiece. Who didn't want to choke Commodus while watching this?!

9) Hotaru no Haka (Grave of the Fireflies)...superb war film that shows very little war. Amidst the quality Miyazaki films, this non-Miyazaki animated movie is often overlooked...though it was produced by Studio Ghibli. Watch this.

10) Breakfast Club...THE 80s movie. THE John Hughes movie. I could've left this one out but I just couldn't.

No Ferris Bueller's Day Off? :P

• Like 1

Grave Of The Fireflies is great.

But the now long forgotten, older anime Barefoot Gen is even better. More disturbing, more historical and profoundly sad...it gets dark and graphic and it is relentless and the animation is cheaper which makes it all the more hard to watch...but it has a child like simplicity. Barefoot Gen and it's sequel move me more than Grave ever has. It's about the Hiroshima (or Nagasaki I forget which) bombings and is autobiographical (it's based on a manga written by a man who based the lead character on his own childhood experiences).

Edited by Segue Myles

Where's all the capeshit ??

and

NO BRAD PITT !?!?!

WTF ??

:LOL:

• Like 1