The BSG Old-Fart Classic Rock Trivia Game

The Notorious B.S.G.

Thanks to RushRevisited, for the green light. Dis is gwanna bee funnn!

As a fan of Classic Rock (notice the capitalized letters), and an amateur rock historian, I thought it would be a great deal of fun to host a rock trivia game, much like RushRevisited's clip game, with actual "rules", "prizes", and "winners". (Whether all those things will qualify as such remains to be seen. Ha Ha) Oh, and y'all might even have fun playing, ya never know.

Whodat? - My Qualifications

Who the heck am I? A know-it-all?

Well, yeah! You got a problem with that? Punk? Well, do ya?

Ok, getting past the Clint Eastwood mode, let me just say:

- I'm old.

- I have a collection of vinyl LP's containing about 2000 records, spanning the Rock era from the mid 50's to the late 80's, when vinyl became obsolete. My newer collection consists, of course, of Cassettes, CD's, DVD's, MP3's, WAV's, and VHS. I've been interested in a bit of newer stuff, but I have not been as obsessed with pursuing new music since settling down, raising offspring, etc. (You know, that old chestnut.) Hence the name "Classic Rock". And for me, the name "Old Fart". tongue.gif

- I got lots of rock books. (Sum uh um I evun had muh wifey reed tuh mee. wacko.gif )

- My Mother used to fret over my weekly trips to the local new/used record store, where I promptly unloaded a minimum of 25% of each measley paycheck, for a period of about 3-5 years.

- I used to read Rolling Stone religiously. (But I got better. biggrin.gif )

Da "Rules" - How It Will Work

Each game will be announced well in advance, and folks will be asked for input as to times, duration, etc. I envision it on a weekend evening, running from 9 PM to Midnight Eastern time (or longer if folks are enjoying it). Sunday might work best.

I will begin by starting a new thread for each game and posting the first question. Each question will be worth 100 points, regardless of how hard or easy it is, just to keep the game from getting too complicated. If no correct answer is posted, I will issue clues every once in a while. The values for each question will remain 100, regardless of clues issued, also to keep it simple. Humorous guesses, ala "Hollywood Squares" are more than welcome, and will make it more fun, too.

I have no problem with "Googling" a question. Why should we be "Google-ophobic" when we use the technology of this here "inter-thingy" just to stay in touch here on the forum? Just my opinion, of coure re: Googling. But let's not overdo it, shall we? "Ringers" will be booed, hissed at, and farts will be directed in their general direction.

If I make a mistake, and someone can demonstrate with a credible source, I will gladly correct myself. Full points awarded to the person making the correction. Partial points awarded to the person with the original answer, at my discretion. (Sometimes answers can be ambiguous, or multiple answers "make sense" so I want to allow for that.) I will, however try to avoid ambiguous questions, of course.

If no one answers and folks want a new question, no problem!

At the end, whoever has the most points wins (duh). And what is the "prize"?

Da Prizes - "Tell our lucky contestant what he's won, Johnny!"

I offer that which I have a plentiful supply of. I will convert to a digital format and burn a CD's worth of music from my Classic Rock collection, which I will post soon in this thread. (Need to update the list first....) I have no problem if the winner wants to pick a song here, a song there, etc. However my database does not list individual songs, but this info is readily available on the internet. (Or just ask me. biggrin.gif ) If you're unsure, I would love to recommend stuff to the winners. (We can talk.)

Of course, the majority of these will be vinyl sourced, but I will do my best to minimize surface noises inherent to LP's. I have scrupulously strived over the years to preserve my vinyl, as well. I understand the vast majority of my collection is readily available in digital format, but you can pick and choose songs. Anyways, it's all about having fun.

And dere ya have it!

Yeah, let's do it.

QUOTE (the_necromancer @ Aug 27 2004, 09:11 AM)
sweet ya old fart tempted.gif

bsg.gif Does your mother know you use language like that??? biggrin.gif

Hope you can join us. You can learn a lot from us old folks. Like what a vinyl record looks like, and sounds like. (Snap, crackle, pop is the sound they make.) What geritol tastes like. rofl3.gif You know, useful information.

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Aug 26 2004, 07:20 PM)
Can I just confirm that Eastern Time is NY, which will make it 2am where I am schla03.gif

Ah! I see you make the glorious, beautiful Emerald Isle your home. Oh! And what does your screen name mean, please? confused13.gif

"We were happy, though we were poor."

"Because we were poor!"

"And ya tell kids nowadays that, and they won't believe ya!"

Edited by BSG

QUOTE (BSG @ Aug 27 2004, 09:33 AM)
You can learn a lot from us old folks. Like what a vinyl record looks like, and sounds like. (Snap, crackle, pop is the sound they make.)

And the proper technique on judging whether a LP skip will require a nickel...dime..or quarter atop the stylus to get it through that part.

QUOTE (SCREAM @ Aug 27 2004, 10:18 AM)
QUOTE (BSG @ Aug 27 2004, 09:33 AM)
You can learn a lot from us old folks. Like what a vinyl record looks like, and sounds like. (Snap, crackle, pop is the sound they make.)

And the proper technique on judging whether a LP skip will require a nickel...dime..or quarter atop the stylus to get it through that part.

icon_really_happy_guy.gif I remember that! rofl3.gif

QUOTE (BSG @ Aug 27 2004, 02:36 PM)
Can I just confirm that Eastern Time is NY, which will make it 2am where I am schla03.gif

Ah! I see you make the glorious, beautiful Emerald Isle your home. Oh! And what does your screen name mean, please? confused13.gif

"Because we were poor!"

Let's just say that "madra" is the Irish word for a domesticated animal and "sneacht" is the Irish word for soft frozen water that falls from the sky.

Literally, it means "Dog of Snow"

I think you get my drift (pun intended, but deserving of a sound thrashing) rofl3.gif

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Aug 27 2004, 02:18 PM)

"Because we were poor!"

Let's just say that "madra" is the Irish word for a domesticated animal and "sneacht" is the Irish word for soft frozen water that falls from the sky.

I think you get my drift (pun intended, but deserving of a sound thrashing) rofl3.gif

So you're saying you have a Gaelic RUSH name. That is too cool!!!

In that case:

FAILTE!!

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Aug 27 2004, 06:18 PM)

"Because we were poor!"

Thanks! Don't know if I spell this right, but -

SLANTE! I'm trying to say c-h-e-e-r-s!

trink39.gif

(Did you catch my Monty Python reference?)

You know, the Irish would have conquered the world had whiskey never been invented.....

(And yes, I'm part Irish.)

QUOTE (BSG @ Aug 27 2004, 08:33 AM)
Hope you can join us. You can learn a lot from us old folks. Like what a vinyl record looks like, and sounds like. (Snap, crackle, pop is the sound they make.)

What other kinds of records are there? tongue.gif laugh.gif

BTW, do you have Feedback on vinyl yet? I saw it was available from rushbackstage and ordered it along with my tie dye feedback shirt. common001.gif

QUOTE (BSG @ Aug 28 2004, 12:15 AM)

Thanks! Don't know if I spell this right, but -

SLANTE! I'm trying to say c-h-e-e-r-s!

trink39.gif

(Did you catch my Monty Python reference?)

Almost there BSG, it's Slainte!! trink38.gif

What an appropriate smiley!!!!!!

Yeah, I caught the Python reference. I was at a wedding once with my wife and her aunt who is 86. The aunt and a man in his late seventies were reminiscing about farming in rural Ireland, walking the cattle 14 miles to market etc, when the aunt actually came out with the classic "And you tell the young people of today that.....". I was running to the loo in stitches before she finished it. Pauline (my better half) knew exactly what was going on, and had to stay there and keep a straight face. I simply couldn't!!!!! laugh.gif

BTW. I've been listening to the "Song for America" album by Kansas on a 20 year old vinyl LP in your honour!!!!

Edited by madra sneachta

QUOTE (BSG @ Aug 24 2004, 09:50 PM)
"Ringers" will be booed, hissed at, and farts will be directed in their general direction.

Actually, speaking of recognising Python quotes.......

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberry..........Arthur King and your silly English knnnnnnnnnnnigets"

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Afterglow @ Aug 27 2004, 11:32 PM)
QUOTE (BSG @ Aug 27 2004, 08:33 AM)
Hope you can join us. You can learn a lot from us old folks. Like what a vinyl record looks like, and sounds like. (Snap, crackle, pop is the sound they make.)

What other kinds of records are there? tongue.gif laugh.gif

BTW, do you have Feedback on vinyl yet? I saw it was available from rushbackstage and ordered it along with my tie dye feedback shirt. common001.gif

No, but that's an EXCELLENT idea!

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Aug 28 2004, 11:57 AM)
QUOTE (BSG @ Aug 24 2004, 09:50 PM)
"Ringers" will be booed, hissed at, and farts will be directed in their general direction.

Actually, speaking of recognising Python quotes.......

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberry..........Arthur King and your silly English knnnnnnnnnnnigets"

"I'm French! Why do you think I have zees OUTRAGEOUS accent? Now, go away or I shall taunt you a second time!!!"

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Aug 28 2004, 11:57 AM)

Now you've done it! I've gotta go watch it again! biggrin.gif