When did rush become big money makers???

nicky6

Moving Pictures did blow them wide open- international super rock stars after that.

But I'm wondering why it was that Permanent Waves didn't do it instead.

Going off on a tangent, here, but I wonder if the commercial success of Moving Pictures is part of what enabled or encouraged them to go in such radically different directions over the succeeding years...probably not, as they always sort of blazed their own path. But I wonder.

The Permanent Waves Tour was the first tour where they registered a profit. Remember, this was back in the day when touring was a vehicle for selling records, not really making big $$$. Now of course, things are reversed. But "registering a profit on the road" is different from getting out of debt. I'd imagine that th emost accurate answer to the original question is that PeW started the process and MP finished it.

According to RIAA, T4E is Gold, with 1/2 million in album sales. MP was certified 4X Platinum in 1995, with 4 million in sales.

I wonder how well each one sold within the first year?

• Like 1

According to RIAA, T4E is Gold, with 1/2 million in album sales. MP was certified 4X Platinum in 1995, with 4 million in sales.

Good question. But considering MP is the album that put them on the map, I would bet MP outsold T4E.

Edited by Wil1972

Good question. But considering MP is the album that put them on the map, I would bet MP outsold T4E.

I would bet that you're right but they were much better known by the time T4E came out. That was just my thinking on that.

• Like 1

It's worth noting that in 1980 the band were playing five nights at London's Hammersmith Odeon on the Permanent Waves tour, yet a year later is was three nights at Wembley Arena in support of Moving Pictures. Even on their final UK appearances of the 80s — for Hold Your Fire in 1988 — they were still packing them in at three Wembley nights.

From TeamRock.

• Like 1

Yeah MP helped a ton however Counterparts blew up immensely (sold more than MP did), the late 90s is when they stopped touring in buses and flew in planes to their venues. Basically, the 90s really helped them become "money makers", but really most of the money they make goes back into touring (or it did :( ), now they probably save it, use it to remaster old concerts to be released, or make a new album (please dear god LOL)

Nah. Geddy uses it to travel, Neil buys cars and Alex buys pot.

This just gave me a random thought.. I wonder how/where Al gets his weed..

• Like 1

Yeah MP helped a ton however Counterparts blew up immensely (sold more than MP did), the late 90s is when they stopped touring in buses and flew in planes to their venues. Basically, the 90s really helped them become "money makers", but really most of the money they make goes back into touring (or it did :( ), now they probably save it, use it to remaster old concerts to be released, or make a new album (please dear god LOL)

Nah. Geddy uses it to travel, Neil buys cars and Alex buys pot.

A legendary rock star musician living in Canada...I think he has no probs

• Like 1

On prescription apparently.

Should've known.. it's the thing to do lately here in Canada.. find the right doctor and tell him you have stress, back pains and/or can't sleep. you can get a card which gives you access to the good stuff!

On prescription apparently.

Should've known.. it's the thing to do lately here in Canada.. find the right doctor and tell him you have stress, back pains and/or can't sleep. you can get a card which gives you access to the good stuff!

Somehow I doubt he has much trouble finding a source for it considering he's a musician.

When they sang a song called "Big Money." Seriously, I am not sure and it depends on what you mean by big money. I think "permanent waves" is the album that really put them in the big league though and I think it was their first top ten album.

When they sang a song called "Big Money." Seriously, I am not sure and it depends on what you mean by big money. I think "permanent waves" is the album that really put them in the big league though and I think it was their first top ten album.

...in the US...